• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 on the way, trying to get ready for it.... sights? or not?

poomwah

My 930 JM Pro is supposed to be in thursday. I have a LOT planned for the weapon. Not necessarily a lot of modifications, a paint job, sling, and sights will probably be it. But I have a LOT of use planned.
I ordered the 24 inch barrel.
My current hope defense weapon is a 12 gauge pump with an extended mag tube and a 21 1/2 inch barrel. I know its not a customary length for home defense, but I'm comfortable with it. I am confident the 24 inch will fill the role well.
I also wish to use the 930 for shooting clays, not at any ranges or in any leagues, but just in the backyard. Again, I know that's not a "normal" barrel length, but I've shot clays well with a 22 inch side by side before, so, while I'm sure it won't be something for serious trap shooting, I'm sure it will be more than adequate for my purposes.
I plan to use it for eradication of certain pests and critters, a job for which I'm sure it will be well suited.
Actually, for most of what I want to do, I'm sure it will be at least adequate depending on ammo and choke selection.
Where I have a concern is with buckshot and slugs. I have been shooting shotguns of various types for a couple decades now and am VERY confident with every shotgun platform I've ever used. However, although I can shoot slugs and buckshot well with just a bead, I am still not comfortable with it.
So, I would REALLY love to have a ghost ring for slug and buckshot work....
BUT, I don't want to hinder the weapons performance (or my own for that matter) at clay and wing shooting.
What do you guys suggest? More work with slugs/buckshot and a bead and hope I get more comfortable with it? Any suggestions for a sight that would work well with slugs but not hinder shooting with clays? maybe something very low profile that could be covered with a velcro or elastic strap during clay shooting so it's not as distracting?
I can't afford to have a dedicated HD gun, and a dedicated hunting gun, and a dedicated trap gun. My financial situation dictates that I need to make this ONE gun do as much as possible.
I'm willing to put the time and work into getting proficient with whatever sighting system I go with. I just don't want to waste money and time on something that is definitely not going to work.
Thanks in advance :]

I have a set of ghost rings on a 590A1 but to be honest I still prefer a simple bead for most shooting applications, including slugs and buckshot. That said, your situation reminds me of a thread that just popped up in the past couple days...

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...sberg-930-hiviz-rear-sight.13792/#post-184571

Adding a low profile rear sight to the vent rib should improve your accuracy with slugs and buck while preserving the integrity of the front bead sight picture for shooting applications where a rear sight is not necessary...

I'd prefer to go that way.

The rear sight is removable, so you can switch back and forth from 3-dot to a simple bead as the need dictates. You wouldn't need to replace the front sight though. I have the 10-shot JM Pro and it already has a fiber optic front sight...

I'm not sure if mine is the 9 or 10 shot. I'll let you know thursday , hehe.
If I remove the rear sight , wouldn't I have to re-zero the shotgun every time I put the sight back on?

Yours with the 24" barrel is the 10-shot (9+1) model. The 9-shot model has a 22" barrel...

the more I think about this, the more I realize that MOST of my shooting will not involve clays or birds. I think I would be better served by following my first instincts and desired and put a ghost ring sight on it. It will improve 90 percent of the shooting I do with the gun. Realistically I'll probably only shoot clays a couple times a year anyway

Back