• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 SPX vs JM Pro

asdaven

Copper BB
Couple questions here about the 930 model options.

I'm torn between purchasing a 930 SPX or a JM Pro. The SPX doesn't have Accu-Choke capability which I want. But, the JM Pro doesn't have ghost ring sights, which I want also. So, is it possible to thread the SPX Cylinder Bore for Mossberg Accu-Chokes? Or to install ghost ring sights on the JM Pro? Or is it possible to interchange barrels on the 930 to switch from tactical slug thrower to a trap/clay gun? I'm trying to figure out the best route to take here.

Also, which of the two has the best fit and polish and reliability? I know the JM Pro has ergonomic upgrades for three-gun. But, is there anything different on the internals between the SPX and JM Pro models?

Thanks-

There are several places that will drill and tap the barrel for choke tubes. The cost will be approx $65-$150+ depending on where you get it done and whether or not chokes are included.

Yes you can swap barrels easily as well.

The problem you may run into with adding sights is the height of the front sight tower relative to the rear ghost ring. Nothing that can't be overcome but you just need to make sure you have the right combination of parts to make it work correctly.

Thanks for the advice-

So, it is possible to have an SPX model and swap in a 28" vent rib barrel for trap shooting? Of course removing the rear sight and rail as that would be in the line of sight.

My main concern is if I go with the SPX, I won't get the JM Pro upgrades. But, what features are upgraded exactly with the JM other than the charging handle, bolt release, and loading gate? I've heard the JM cycles smoother. Why? I also heard the JM Pro has the Nordic Components magazine extension and the SPX is Choate. But, I guess LPA sights aren't cheap either.

Thanks-

Yes you can swap in a 28" barrel. As far as specifics go, I'm not sure. I only have the std waterfowl model. I did buy an SPX barrel at one time but never finished the SPX build up.

Others here can give you more specific info as to the differences in these two models.

I have a 930 SPX and I like it and the ghost ring sights a lot.

If I had it to do over again, I would get the JM Pro and put a Burris Fastfire III on top and be done with it. I find I like the Fastfire much better than the ghost ring sights.

That's just my two cents. It's worth exactly what you paid for it. ;)

Howdy.

The specs unique to the JM Pro models are as follows:

•Chromed gas piston assembly, hammer, sear, and mag tube
•Nordic Comp mag tube extension
•Beveled loading gate and shorter forend
•Extended elevator
•Oversized charging handle and bolt release
•Trigger over-travel stop

It makes no sense why Mossberg doesn't list ALL of the enhanced features in their product description. The enhancements to gas piston assembly alone go a long way toward increasing reliability and performance. I have trouble feeding light loads through my 930 Tactical, but my JM Pro eats everything I feed it.

In my opinion, you'd get a lot more for your money buying the JM Pro and picking up an add-on SPX ghost ring barrel. The SPX ghost ring rear sight is made by LPA and is mounted on a picatinny rail, so that's an easy add.

Bud's has the 9-shot JM Pro (85119) listed at $599 right now compared to $724 for the standard SPX (85370). That price difference alone will nearly pay for a second barrel...

Lazy Eyed Sniper has good advice for you.

The JM Pro is a great value for a starting point. The improvements to the gas system components alone make it easier to decide which direction to start with.

The SPX's LPA sights are great, but they are also fairly expensive. If you are going to swap barrels back and forth on the same receiver you will more than likely have to address fitment issues at the same time. The fitment issues are with you, not parts of the gun, as the SPX sights sit much higher than the vent rib on a JM Pro. When you mount the gun with one set-up or the other, you will be shifting your head to get a good sight picture on one or both. I run my SPX with as much rise as the stock spacers allow, while my JM Pro comes up perfectly with as much drop as the stock spacers allow. Sharing barrels between guns (unless you go Fast Fire III on a rail with an SPX) will result in a fitting compromise between the two unless you also change your spacers out each time.

You can also get aftermarket sights with a Ghost Ring set-up for a vent rib.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/57...rchangeable-green-ghost-ring-and-notched-rear

You can't go wrong with either gun, but you can have a longer parts list to get from one to the other, depending on where you start and where you are going.

- William

So, the JM Pro probably has less problems out of the box? I was originally looking at a Benelli M2 Tactical, but the price point at $1199 is pretty high. The 930 JM Pro with a price point in the $500s is a steal IMO. I'm still contemplating Benelli, but their replacement barrels themselves cost as much as a pump shotgun. Mossberg barrels are much cheaper. But, Benelli offers choke tubes for their short barrels.

I view a firearm as a platform that can be modified and customized if it can be. I'm not the type of person who wants exactly what I want right out of the box. So, what matters most to me out of the box is what is "under the hood". Stocks, sights, barrels, etc can all be changed. For the adjustment problem between vent rib and ghost ring sights , what about the Mesa Tactical stock? It has an adjustable cheek riser. Also, where do I purchase a SPX barrel? I don't have to have LPA sights if there is a cheaper, but similar option.

Thanks

Yes Sir, the JM Pro models are good to go right out of the box. Nothing wrong with Benelli at all, but I've outscored plenty of M1 and M2 shooters with my 930's. Kinda puts a big smile on my face when they walk over and and want to take a look.

Your best resource for replacement barrels is Mossberg sales. You can reach them direct at 800-363-3555.

I run the ATI Raven stock on my 930 Tactical. I do switch back and forth between the standard bead and a red dot on occasion. It has a nice range of comb adjustment which makes the transition a lot easier...

Mossberg 930s don't have to worry about 922-r either. The JM pro already has the Nordic Components extension which I would have to add to the Benelli to get it up to full capacity of 7 or 8+1 as it is only 5+1 in stock form.

Did they upgrade the follower on the JM Pro?

I'm debating whether to get the 22" or 24" JM Pro model. The 22", slightly bigger than 18.5"......I could turn into my tactical barrel and buy a 28" barrel for clays. Trouble with buying a SPX barrel, I'd have to buy a second extension tube if I want to make it flush with the end of the barrel. I could have a gunsmith or Aim Pro Tactical braze a front sight on the 22" JM Barrel. Then I would have a tactical barrel threaded for choke tubes. The 22" model is also cheaper than the 24". Is there a quality cheaper option for hi-profile ghost ring sights other than LPA?

So, the 930 JM Pro is faster and better on target than the Benelli? I'm intrigued.

The ATI stock is expensive but the cheap price point of the Mossberg JM Pro allows me more spending money on parts and accessories. With the Benelli, I would buy an expensive shotgun and still have to add parts (Nordic Components Mag Extension and applicable 922-r parts) and if I wanted a longer barrel for trap.....lots of money plus maybe a stock. +$$$$$$.

Thanks again-

Did they upgrade the follower on the JM Pro?

Looks to be the same follower as my other 930, but I've never had an issue with any of my factory followers...

I'm debating whether to get the 22" or 24" JM Pro model. The 22", slightly bigger than 18.5"......I could turn into my tactical barrel and buy a 28" barrel for clays. Trouble with buying a SPX barrel, I'd have to buy a second extension tube if I want to make it flush with the end of the barrel. I could have a gunsmith or Aim Pro Tactical braze a front sight on the 22" JM Barrel. Then I would have a tactical barrel threaded for choke tubes. The 22" model is also cheaper than the 24". Is there a quality cheaper option for hi-profile ghost ring sights other than LPA?

There are other options such as Aimpro, but you would have to have accustom job done on the front sight. Good luck if you decide to use them. There have been too many issues reported here on the forum for me to recommend them. If you use the factory SPX barrel, you would need to use the LPA rear sight for a proper sight alignment/picture. In my experience ghost ring sights are useful for slugs at long distance, but they tend to slow shooters down on target. It's much more difficult to align a front and rear sight in a hurry than it is to instinctively put a bead on the target and pull the trigger. For me, there is no better sight configuration for both a competition and a defensive shotgun than a simple bead sight...

So, the 930 JM Pro is faster and better on target than the Benelli? I'm intrigued.

Not necessarily.

My point is that I've been on the line with plenty of shooters who spent two to three times more on their shotguns than I did and it didn't give them a competitive advantage...

Thanks for the advice

My uses for the shotgun would range from shooting slugs long-range to shooting targets close-in, and shooting clays. Not going to be a dedicated Home Defense gun and I'm not going to be shooting competition. Just want a smooth and fast running gun. I would go with the JM Pro for the upgrades to the basic 930 action.

Who would you reccomend for putting a front sight on? What would be my ghost sight options if I had a custom sight added to a 22" JM Pro barrel? Any cheaper options than LPA for front and rear sights?

Of course I could just buy the SPX barrel and the appropriate sized Nordic Components extension to match. In that case, I'd probably go with the 24" model. If I take the custom sight option, I'd go with the 22" model then buying a longer vent rib barrel for other uses. Just trying to figure the cheapest/best option. The 22" model is also cheaper than the 24” model as well.

Thanks

Both the SPX and the JM Pro models are purpose built shotguns intended for different shooting disciplines. It's going to be very difficult and expensive to try and smoosh them together into a do-it-all without compromising form and possibly function. My JM Pro with the factory fiber optic bead is every bit as capable of putting slugs on target at 100 yards as my 590A1 with ghost rings. I've honestly found that the ramp on the front sight tends to obscure my target at longer distance and makes it more difficult to find a consistent hold. I don't do much clay shooting, but as I understand it the ghost rings aren't the best option for that style of shooting.

There's really no inexpensive way to accomplish what you're looking to do. LPA rear aperture will run you $115-150, depending on which you choose and the front ramp will run you $75-115 depending on your choice. That's anywhere from $190-$265 for LPA parts, not including gunsmith charges for front sight installation. An SPX barrel will run about $150, add the rear LPA sight at $115-150 and that's in the neighborhood of $265-$300 for the secondary barrel and sight configuration. This last option would essentially allow you to change between both configurations to suit your needs without sacrificing the form and function of either. We've had too many service related issues with Aimpro reported here on the forum for me to recommend anything from them and I'm not familiar with any other ghost ring sets from other manufacturers. Someone else may chime in with other suggestions.

For what it's worth I would suggest going with the JM Pro and spending ample time on the range shooting every way you intend to, including slugs, and only worry about trying to add ghost rings if you find the JM Pro incapable of performing up to your standards. I'll wager you'll be pleasantly surprised at the capability and versatility of the fiber optic bead. It truly is well suited for any shooting discipline you will find on the range...

Very good points. I'm just trying to get an idea what I might end up doing with the shotgun, so I know which JM Pro model to get , rather the 22" model or the 24" model. Other than the one round capacity difference, in your opinion does the 2" in barrel length make much of a difference?

Isn't there a special cap you can buy to get the extra 1 round capacity? Can the JM Pro be ghost loaded like the SPX?

I guess buying the SPX barrel would be the cleaner way of doing what I'm looking to do.

I'm used to ghost ring sights because I mostly shoot rifles, AR-15s and M1As and such, that's what I'm used to. I ve always shot shotguns, but lately shotguns have peaked my interest a little bit more.

Thanks again-

Very good points. I'm just trying to get an idea what I might end up doing with the shotgun, so I know which JM Pro model to get , rather the 22" model or the 24" model. Other than the one round capacity difference, in your opinion does the 2" in barrel length make much of a difference?

The extra 2" of barrel aren't going to make a whole lot of difference in performance.

Isn't there a special cap you can buy to get the extra 1 round capacity?

Nordic Comp used to sell an XL and a XXL length extension tube cap, but they are not compatible with the newer MXT extensions and I believe the extended caps were discontinued. If higher capacity is a must you could always simply add a longer tube. There are similar factory set-ups on 930 models with up to 13 round capacity...

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-930-high-performance-autoloaders.10972/

Not really a fan of the magazine extension sticking out past the end of the barrel. Magazine capacity is not a big concern. Just checking to see if there an easy way to get an extra round capacity.

For the lifter or whatever it is called, I heard that while Mossberg upgraded it on the JM Pro, it is still not perfect and pinches fingers. Is there any good aftermarket upgraded shell lifters to replace it with?

I'll just have to make a decision on barrel length. I might go 24"....longer is better for clays, then buy a SPX barrel if I want a shorter barrel.

Thanks-

A lot of folks here have sent their lifters off to one place or the other to have them welded, but we recently had one member post up a place that sells the extended lifters as a drop-in replacement part...

Last night I was browsing SKYTac's new website. I couldn't decide whether I wanted the black or polished elevator, so I ordered both. :cool: I doubt I'll have any trouble finding a home for the one I decide not to use.

It seems to be a popular modification, but I haven't had any issues loading with the factory set-up on my JM Pro. The shortened forend clears the area around the loading port and makes it a lot easier...

It seems to be a popular modification, but I haven't had any issues loading with the factory set-up on my JM Pro. The shortened forend clears the area around the loading port and makes it a lot easier...

I have this mangled thumb, you see. In my senior year of HS, I all but cut it off between the tip and the first joint with a circular saw. It was sewn back on, but it's never been right. In fact, the bone didn't even grow together.

That notch in the end of the stock elevator presents just the right size gap for my thumb to slip into. I'll just say it doesn't feel good and leave it at that.

Looking at the picture, what is the point of the notch in the end of the elevator? Why not just stamp it flush or cut it flush when its made at the factory? And maybe a add a smooth bevel at the end of the elevator to facilitate loading

I have this mangled thumb, you see. In my senior year of HS, I all but cut it off between the tip and the first joint with a circular saw. It was sewn back on, but it's never been right. In fact, the bone didn't even grow together.

That notch in the end of the stock elevator presents just the right size gap for my thumb to slip into. I'll just say it doesn't feel good and leave it at that.

I can see where that'd pose a problem...

Back