• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 Waterfowl?

Mpulse2k6

Copper BB
Hello,

I am new to the community but the last couple days while I was waiting to get approved I did a lot of reading around the forum(s).

I have seen very few waterfowl 930's. Seems like most users here has the SPX 930.

With that noted - is there a reason? I have heard/read several times as it is well documented that the newer SPX's have shell ejection issues. Anyone with a new waterfowl 930 experience something different?

Sorry for all the jabber....I've been wanting to get some feedback on the 930 Waterfowl for a while now but everywhere I look, including general reviews & YouTube, I mostly see the 930 SPX.

Thanks guys,

Welcome aboard.

The lack of 930 Waterfowl conversation is likely because a high percentage of members here show up looking for solutions to problems. That said, there simply haven't been many Waterfowl owners with issues. True the 930 SPX line has had its issues, but most were caused very early on by rushed production to meet the demand. The 930 Waterfowl and HD/Waterfowl Combo guns have been, in our experience here, notoriously reliable and problem free...

Welcome aboard.

The lack of 930 Waterfowl conversation is likely because a high percentage of members here show up looking for solutions to problems. That said, there simply haven't been many Waterfowl owners with issues. True the 930 SPX line has had its issues, but most were caused very early on by rushed production to meet the demand. The 930 Waterfowl and HD/Waterfowl Combo guns have been, in our experience here, notoriously reliable and problem free...

Thank you sir! Anything you guys recommend besides a good cleaning when I get it?

I was freakin a little because I'll use a good shell when I'm actually hunting, but I shoot clays about every/every other weekend and so those are cheap federal 2 3/4 rounds and I'm not lookin for issues with those....

Glad to help.

The cleaning is crucial, but after that just shoot the hell out of it. The 930 gas system was designed around the longer barrels, so we don't normally start to see ammo related cycling issues until you get down to the 18"-20" barrel SPX and Tactical models. With my 18.5" 930 Tactical it'll choke on most ammo under 1300 fps, but my 24" JM Pro will chew through anything I feed it with no failures. Some cheaply made bulk ammo might show failures along the rim where the extractor has torn through the thin metal, but again that is usually a result of improper gas pressure. First time out, just take a bit more variety of ammo than you usually might just in case and enjoy sending 'em down range...

Thank you sir! Anything you guys recommend besides a good cleaning when I get it?

I was freakin a little because I'll use a good shell when I'm actually hunting, but I shoot clays about every/every other weekend and so those are cheap federal 2 3/4 rounds and I'm not lookin for issues with those....

I was in the same boat as you when I ordered mine (930 WF), I've had virtually no problems. Every so often when the gun was sub-300 rounds I had a FTE with a 2 3/4 shells. Since breaking it in (and polishing pieces of the gas system (which isn't necessary)) I've had no issues. I would say you shouldn't even bother doing the 50 rd break in unless you have the ammo laying around. All in all I'm happy with mine.

I have a 930 WF edition. As has been said, clean it thoroughly and it will be a great gun. Don't clean it and you have an expensive single shot......trust me on this.

I have a 930 WF edition. As has been said, clean it thoroughly and it will be a great gun. Don't clean it and you have an expensive single shot......trust me on this.

Right on, thanks.

Anyone use Ballistol? That's my stuff of choice but wondering whats popular amongst you chaps.

I've been using Slip2000 for some time on all my guns. Great stuff.

For most other cleaning I still use plain ole Hoppe's #9

I use Hoppe's #9 for bore cleaning. Frog Lube for everything else. In my opinion, Hoppe's is better at cleaning, but it's a pain to use; dries quickly, sprays everywhere when you use a brush, stinks. Frog Lube is a good cleaner, but not quite as good as Hoppe's, on the other hand it doesn't do the aforementioned negatives.

Back