• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Added some unconventional police sidearms to my qual card

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
I have carried at work the usual primary sidearms for years now: usually it is the 1911A1 but sometimes it's the GLOCK34.... and coming in last ".... because-I-hate-it-but-it's-issued-to-me-so-the-ammo-is-free-but-it-otherwise-sits-at-home"" the GLOCK22; plus some BUGS like a compact 9mm, and a Smiff and Western 442, and a Ruger LCR. I've always kept 'em all on my annual qualification record. Easy to carry and easy to shoot.

Soooo, today just for gitz and shiggles I re-qual'd with some rather unconventional LEO sidearms just to keep 'em on my card. I do this because (if for no other reason) I occasionally like wearing them at work just so cops who don't know me gawk at my sidearm thinking WTF????

And PLUS it's for cool-factor even if I am the only one in the room who knows.

If I was in a room of you guys this wouldn't be anywhere near as fun. Because you guys ROCK and know your schidt.

Among the "oddities" I did the stainless cocked-and-locked CZ-75B, and the GLOCK 29 (yep, a TEN MILLIMETER BABY), and an N-Frame 1976-vintage blued 4" Smiff and Western Model 28 Highway Patrolman with Hogue exotic wood grips.

Admittedly, I don't carry any of these three on patrol and the TEN MILLIMETER isn't really looked upon as appearing ODD to a glancing eye, but for admin days and training and court or other events I laugh like hell when I get "the stare" followed by "WTF is THAT YOU'RE CARRYING?" comments from cops who think they know guns.

"Ah Wha...? ~~~ A WHAT? A TEN??? They make those?"

"That gun is made in Czechoslovokia?"

"You'd carry a 37-year old revolver that holds six rounds when my G22 holds seventy billion?"

I'm not a gun snob but it is rather fun to carry some unconventional looking sidearms at work some times. The guns I mention are boring but it just throws people off which I find hysterical.

BUT The BEST part of today at the range was shooting the course with the Model 28 as fast as I could pull the trigger and HKS speed load the next six with real true .357-Magnum 158-gr ammo. All the other guys qualifying had already done their one annual qual with their one boring gun and packed it all in and left, so the instructor and I were left alone and he didn't have to be calling out lots of safety "ready on the firing line" crap. It was just him and me and we understood the course.

I just pulled the trigger as fast as I could get the front sight back on target and we went thru as fast as the stopwatch could reset as we moved closer in. I actually made the barrel too hot to hold by the time the last round was touched off! On a revolver!!!!!!

I LOVED IT! :D :D :D :D

Scored in the mid 90's, too!
:mrgreen:

Re: Added some unconventional police sidearms to my qual car

Seing an LEO with a stainless CZ-75... I'd probably think for a moment " This guy for real??? am I being punked.. they don't carry those" ;) Sounds like a good day at the range!

It was! Thanks, Chris!!!! You get it. I appreciate that!

Hope that wonderful looking family you are taking care of is doing great and Momma is feeling wonderful.

nitesite said:
BUT The BEST part of today at the range was shooting the course with the Model 28 as fast as I could pull the trigger and HKS speed load the next six with real true .357-Magnum 158-gr ammo.

:mrgreen:

Who do you think you are? Elliot Ness? ;) :D

You're funny nitesite.

I actually carried a 38 wheelgun when I was working for the state providing security enforcement for a couple of years.

I found it's not that you need 70 bajillion bullets, but it's more important to make the first one "not miss" LOL

And yes, it does get "the look" pretty often. And sometimes even a second "look".

Often followed by a bunch of "Barney" remarks which can turn into some pretty remarkable conversations LOL

nitesite said:
It was! Thanks, Chris!!!! You get it. I appreciate that!

Hope that wonderful looking family you are taking care of is doing great and Momma is feeling wonderful.

Other than keeping up with my Mother visiting from Germany, everyones doing great! I'm just sad that I got a new friend this week who hasn't had any range time yet ;) Got find something to feed it first before we can spend quality time together anyway! Thanks for asking about the family nitesite!... next one needs to be a boy though so I can have more excuses to do manly things!

Sounds like you had a "blast" at the range today, nitesite...good for you. Gotta have fun and cut loose once in a while and you picked a great place/time to do it.

OhioArcher said:
Sounds like you had a "blast" at the range today, nitesite...good for you. Gotta have fun and cut loose once in a while and you picked a great place/time to do it.

And the ammo was free I'm guessing!

That's awesome nite!

I'm so proud of you for that. They say that variety is the spice of life and you are definitely one SPICY dude! ;)

aksavanaman said:
And the ammo was free I'm guessing!

Nope. Only the .40S&W for the city issued G22. The rest was all paid for by me!

Totally worth it.

You should continue the CZ theme and obtain/carry a few of these on your non patrol days at the office.

CZ52
CZ82
CZ50/70

Or go with the Polish military and police issued theme.
P64
P83

All at one time have been used by the Czech/Polish military and LE so they would be very appropiate as a LE sidearm.

You could strap a Nagant or Webly revolver to your hip too. Either would definately raise some eyebrows lol.

How bout a West German P6 (aka p225)? But only because of the goofy issue police holster for it. The holster alone would be worth the conversation starter.

The beauty of all of these surplus pistols are they can still be had for fairly cheap if you sniff around for them. Sadly prices have gone up somewhat these days and availability down but they are still out there.

Now if you really wanna turn heads turn back the clock seriously by showing up for work one day with something really crazy like a flint lock pistol :D

Good luck finding your next head turner and qualification piece.

Boy, there's some real history in those sidearms you mention!

I like the handful of guys that cast eyes down and actually do recognize the 10mm. Gotta just go stone faced and let them ponder the modern Dirty Harry!!!

You go M8 - plenty of ways to enjoy the job, eh?!?

that's pretty cool

What, no gold-plated long-barreled Desert Eagle in .50AE? :D ;) Now THAT would get some attention! :) (.44 regular barrel shown)

I'm at the range with my brother and cousin several years ago. My bro had a "regular" DE in .44Mag, my cousin a Hi-Power in 9mm. So after a box or two of 9, he breaks out the DE and unloads a mag quickly--"BOOSH!, BOOSH!, BOOSH!, BOOSH!, BOOSH!, BOOSH!, BOOSH!". It was like the scene of Robocop at the shooting range, all these old-timers, interrupted from their .38s and .22s, peering around the lane barriers at all the flame and noise! :D RO came over and gave a pretty stern warning about shooting the target stands with quickfire. We were out of ammo, anyway and left shortly after...

gold-desert-eagle-gun1.jpg

Back