• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ads in Gun Magazines Coming Under Scrutiny...

S

SHOOTER13

Shootings put semi-automatic rifles ads under new scrutiny...

Associated Press

By LISA MARIE PANE and RYAN J. FOLEY
1 day ago

BBFoIwP.img

© The Associated Press In this photo taken Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017, a magazine advertisement for an AR-style firearm describes the ability to customize the firearm and shows soldiers in combat.

The ads leap out from the pages of almost any gun magazine: Soldiers wearing greasepaint and camouflage wield military-style rifles depicted as essential to the American way of life. A promotional spot by the Mossberg brand boasts of weapons "engineered to the specs of freedom and independence."

The ad campaigns by major gun makers did not pause after mass shootings at a Las Vegas country music concert and a Texas church, and the slick messages are big drivers of sales ahead of Black Friday, by far the heaviest shopping day each year for firearms.

But the marketing tactics for the semi-automatic weapons known as AR rifles are under new scrutiny following the recent attacks. Gun-control activists say the ads risk inspiring the next shooter, while gun-rights advocates insist the weapons are being blamed for the works of deranged individuals.

"Guns are not sold on the basis of being just tools," said gun industry expert Adam Winkler, a professor at the University of California Los Angeles School of Law and author of a book about the Second Amendment. "They're being sold as an embodiment of American values."

The advertisements have become a focal point in the court case against a gun company over the 2012 massacre at a Connecticut elementary school where gunman Adam Lanza used a Bushmaster AR-15-style rifle to kill 20 children and six adults. Bushmaster has advertised its AR weapons with the slogan "consider your man card reissued."

Relatives of the Sandy Hook victims alleged in a lawsuit that the maker of the Bushmaster was negligent by marketing military-style weapons to young people who may be unstable and intent on inflicting mass casualties. The lawsuit against Remington Arms was dismissed because of broad immunity granted to the gun industry, but the Connecticut Supreme Court is weighing whether to reinstate it.

"They used images of soldiers in combat. They used slogans invoking battle and high-pressure missions," Joshua Koskoff, a lawyer for the families, told justices at a hearing. "Remington may never have known Adam Lanza, but they had been courting him for years."

Most mass shootings — defined by federal authorities as involving four or more deaths outside the home — are carried out with handguns. But this year, gunmen have used AR-style firearms in mass shootings in Las Vegas, Texas and Northern California. They were also used in the 2016 Orlando nightclub shooting and in 2015 in San Bernardino, California.

The rifles are involved in only a small percentage of gun deaths each year. Of the approximately 13,000 gun deaths excluding suicides that happen annually in the United States, about 300 involve the use of rifles — both AR-style and more traditional long guns.

To Erich Pratt, executive director of Gun Owners of America, gun-control advocates focus on vilifying the weapon and not the people behind the crimes. And, he notes, the gunman in Texas who killed more than two dozen churchgoers was pursued by a man nearby who shot at him with his own AR rifle.

"Here's another attempt to demonize a weapon that a lot of Americans look to for self-defensive purposes," Pratt said. Yet it was another man with an AR-15 who is "the one who's hailed for having stopped the guy."

An estimated 8 million AR-style guns have been sold since they were introduced to the public in the 1960s. The name refers to ArmaLite Rifle, a nod to the now-defunct company that designed the first one. The industry calls them "modern sporting rifles" or "tactical rifles."

About half are owned by current or former members of the military or law enforcement, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, which represents gun makers.

Their marketing, coupled with the lifting of a decade-long ban and the return of many veterans who used them on deployments, have helped drive their popularity. Gun sales leveled off this past year after nearly a decade of record-breaking numbers, but the industry is banking on the allure of the AR — and its many accessories — to keep it going.

The weapons are known as easy to use, easy to clean and easy to modify with a variety of scopes, stocks and rails. Accordingly, a Sig Sauer ad plays up the ability to customize its AR-style weapons, showing an image of soldiers holed up in a building in the midst of battle.

"The reason these guns have become so popular is because they're like an iPhone 10," Winkler said. "They're smooth, sleek, cool-looking."

Once the domain of smaller gun dealers, the weapons are now widely sold by huge retailers such as Walmart, Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops. Those companies are also selling more weapons to first-time gun buyers, said Rommel Dionisio, who has watched the industry closely as a financial analyst and managing director of Aegis Capital Corp.

Sales of military-style rifles plummeted in 2017 compared with a year earlier, when people were stocking up amid fears that a Hillary Clinton presidency would lead to stricter gun laws. Donald Trump's surprise election victory erased those fears but left the gun industry with an oversupply and weak demand.

American Outdoor Brands, which includes Smith & Wesson firearms, reported in September that quarterly revenue in its long guns category dropped by 64 percent from the prior year due to lower demand for its modern sporting rifles. The company reported shipping 51,000 long guns in that period compared with 111,000 the prior year.

Against that backdrop, many gun companies have cut prices, offered rebates and slowed their manufacturing. Some makers of AR-15 rifles dropped prices earlier this year to as low as $399 — a level that would have been unheard of a year before.

"It really is a buyer's market out there right now," Sturm, Ruger & Company Inc. CEO Christopher Killoy told analysts on a recent conference call.

Those deals come with a steady dose of ads that highlight the patriotic notions of carrying an AR.

"That's what they're emphasizing, that these are sort of a lifestyle weapon," Winkler said.

"This is a weapon you buy if you're a patriotic guy who loves the idea of those military shooters, someone who would use your guns to defend your nation."

( Story posted to stimulate discussion... )

I have to admit I've seen those type of adverts and thought that they are militarizing the rifles... that they're trying to sell to civilians..

The adverts are meant to appeal to those people who fantasize that they're in Seal Team Six or something... and there is probably documented research that they're the most likely type of people to go "postal".

(Here in the Uk they're known as "Walts"... Walter Mitty type fantasists.)

I know the US has a strong 2A following that allows you to have these type of rifles, but those type of images only reinforce the Anti's views that all shooters generally think they're SWAT/Seal/SF guys, and cannot be trusted.

The image of shooters is very important to us in the UK... if the Sheeple think we're all "wannabes", they'll support the Government when its time to ban a certain type of military looking weapon, even if its only a .22rf.
Some UK ranges even ban the wearing of military camo clothing as they say it gives "the wrong image".... Realtree is fine, DPM is not..

What the adverts should be doing is showing a guy and his dog walking through the woods carrying the rifle, giving the "Wholesome American guy" type image, not the "I've got this rifle so I'm a badass Seal Team member" image.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Well of course the problem with that ad is that the more traditional wooden stock rifle already exists, that's a good part of their business, and that's exactly how they advertise it.

So you would get these mixed messages that people will laugh at as a satire. Messages which will tell people that inside every ordinary rabbit hunter is a rambo-style mercenary trying to get out.

Now as far as being the Walts, well Americans are all Walts, my friend.

We are nannied from childhood by the Telly, which trains us that we can be whomever we want, if we just buy the right merchandise.

Here's a classic example of our situation.

The Regulator's shoot out of the same rifle club where I belong. Here the guys are adding on to their impressive Cowboy Town shooting gallery.9880.jpeg
The Romance of the American West is still all yours if you buy the right gear and join the right Club.

And it cost a fortune to do the stuff by the way. Everybody dresses in correct period costume, and if you're toting a modern-made firearm you're not as well respected.

Last edited:
Black Friday is not the day where most firearm sales occur. You can tell that a woman that doesn't know anything about the firearm business wrote that trash. Maybe she should stick with writing articles about where to buy big screen TV's and the newest i phones at the big box stores next year.

Yes, I'm serious.

The big business push "black Friday" to give their sales a boost and it's been such a dismal failure that they have also made up a new "must have shopping day" "Cyber MONDAY" to try to squeeze a little more out of it. Which also isn't working as well as they had planned either.

Historically, leading up to valentines day is when more firearms are sold per capita, which is the holiday for love, and also when tax refunds start coming in.

But what do I know? I only owned a gun store and I paid attention to little details like that so I knew when my advertising dollar and % off sale was going to get maximum return and the most foot traffic.

Yes, spring gets the bulk of the gun sales for the year. In part due to tax refunds, and some because of "spring fever" looking forward to getting out and moving around after sitting idle for the cold months.

Summer gets more ammo sales, and fall gets the hunting season sales for rifles and shotguns and hunting camo and other assorted cover scents, baits, and other hunting gadgets.

Sales actually drop off rather abruptly toward Christmas because most folks are buying their kids a bunch of junk to stuff under the tree.

But again. What do I know?

I have zero issues with guns being advertised with a military theme.

It's a revisionist tactic to play as if the second amendment only pertains to sporting arms.

Please show me the sporting clause.

It's for the civilian population to be armed with private arms comparable to the infantry.

When the second amendment was formed civilians had the most advanced rifle of the day.

So you can use T&A to sell everything under the sun with no accountability for rape and unwanted babies and that is ok.

We can sell cars and bikes that will exceed the speed limit several times over and glorify speeding and street racing but that is ok. How many people die each year in speeding related accidents?

We promote alchohol and partying but not drunk driving, its all cool. How many people die each year from drunk driving related accidents?

Everything is fine and dandy except for one of the few things that is actually protected by the Constitution. Makes perfect sense.

I guess guns are all they can see from atop their extra large box of self richousness. It sounds to me like they are the paranoid, obsessive crowd they keep trying to label gun owners.

We definitely have some problems in the US but guns are far from the top.

But they are the one thing that keeps us free.....

More than anything, I think that our politicians really don't have a clue how to fix what's going on and so they desperately must look like they are trying to do something important for the country all the time. If people are being shot, they want to be the one that does something about it.

But as I said, they don't have a clue what to do. Most of them are lawyers and public relations types. Their answer to every problem is make more law.

But like the idiots they are they only treat the visible symptoms, and never the disease.

So we get book after book after book of useless rules when there's really only the golden rule, that they need to promote above all others.

We get program after program after program, designed to help people be what they are not, and don't want to be, and will never be.

Last edited:
The lawsuit seems to forget that Lanza stole the guns from his mother. Let's add in Water Monkey's post along with a federal law exempting firearms manufactures from liability from crimes committed with their guns. This lawsuit must be dead on arrival. Unfortunately the liberal courts seem to keep it alive. If this goes through car manufacturers had better stop showing people having fun on the vehicles or get ready for the lawsuits. A DUI death...wouldn't that be the fault of automotive advertising?

Not only stole the gun, but killed his mother with it unfortunately, prior to everything else he did, which is so tragic, I don't even want to type it.

Back