1. Thank you Mossberg Owners for making us the greatest Gun forum on the planet.

Ambidextrous light mount on 590?

Discussion in 'Flashlights and Weapon Lights' started by No1Buck, Jun 1, 2017.

1. No1Buck

No1Buck .410

I have an Inforce WML that I swap between my AR and 590. On the AR I mount it at 12:00 so I can activate it with either hand, and on the 590 I tried mounting it at 6:00 but found it too awkward to reliably activate because of the angle of the button, so I moved it to 9:00 so I can work the pump with my left hand and use left thumb to activate the light. It works well in that position but I think it would be better to have it at 6:00 for less barrel shadow and ambidextrous activation.

I checked out some of the integrated forend lights like Surefire but they are expensive and heavy. Has anyone tried mounting something like the Streamlight Protac at 6:00 with a pressure switch at 3:00 or 9:00? I figured this would work well but after googling for a while haven't found any pictures of this setup on a shotgun.
  2. GSDenshaw

GSDenshaw .410

I also disliked the forend light. Excellent concept, but the model which I had changed the feel of the action. It introduced some rotational slop which I did not like.

My current set up employs three pieces of hardware:

1) a Laserlyte magazine tube tri-rail mount,

2) a generic half-inch quick-release riser mount, and

3) a NC Star light mount

The Laserlyte tri-rail is compatible with Mossberg heat shields and offers five choices for the position of your light. The downside is that it makes it quite a bit more difficult to remove and replace the barrel. The tri-rail, when mounted over the Mossberg heatshield, clears the magazine tube so it is not necessary to remove the tri-rail to take down the weapon. As I said, there is clearance, but it is tight !

The light is a Surefire P2X Fury Tactical - simple on, off or momentary. I like the fact that I can lock the light off by twisting the tail cap. I treat the tail cap like a safety and instinctively twist the cap to enable the light when I pick up the weapon. I have the light mounted at the six 'o' clock position and find that it is an easy reach with my left index finger. If a shorter reach was desired, a P3X Fury might be a better fit for some. As you can see, the light is close to the muzzle and directly underneath. I have no problem with barrel shadow.

I cannot offer advice on tape switches as I have attempted to keep the operation of the light as simple as possible.

I am not suggesting that this is the solution for everyone, but this works for me. I hope that this will be helpful to some. 101 Left Side_5484 5x Lo-Res.jpg 102 Right Side_5486 5x Lo-Res.jpg 103 Front Angle View_5487 5x Lo-Res.jpg
    DarkPassenger308 likes this.
  3. DarkPassenger308

DarkPassenger308 .223 Supporter

That's not a bad setup.

In the past, I've used a picatinny rail mount that attaches to the bayonet lug. It was clean, low profile and allowed me to mount a light at the 6 o'clock position with a pressure switch on the forend. I don't have the gun anymore, and unfortunately don't have a picture, either.

This lets you mount anything to the otherwise unsed bayo lug.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003265723/promag-ar-15-bayonet-lug-picatinny-accessory-rail

I put a bayonet on just for this photo. The light mount at 9 o'clock is an Elzetta that fits just about any modern weapon light. Barrel shadow ain't bad. It's there, but it ain't bad. Light is a Surefire PX3 Fury. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GSDenshaw likes this.
  4. GSDenshaw

GSDenshaw .410

I tried to go with hardware that would securely attach to the bayonet lug but encountered problems. Both of the products that I tried required a secondary point of support as is provided on the A2 front sight of an AR-15. When mounted on the bayonet lug of the 590A1 there was nothing to secure the rear end of the hardware to. Did you find a solution that overcame this ?