• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to stop looking at this thread before an ar follows me home... Yeah the next gun will follow me home I haven't used that one yet... Lol

You should try the one our wives use on us all the time...

"Honey, you will not believe how much money I saved today!"

This statement is always followed them plopping down a dozen or so shopping bags full of clothes, jewelry, or whatever else they could get their hands on. I'm still not smart enough to figure out how buying all of that crap saved money...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Lol, yeah LES it doesnt ever seem to work the other way around

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
No problem Sir, glad to help.

The tube diameter and rear surface angle are the only substantial differences between commercial-spec and mil-spec tubes. The threads are the same size, so you can change between them on the same lower. Most manufacturers will offer their stocks in both commercial-spec and mil-spec versions so you may not have to change at all. The other thing to look at is your tube length. A2 buttstocks use a rifle length buffer tube, whereas most adjustable stocks use a carbine length.

What stock are you running now and which one are you looking to changing to?

I want to get a Magpul MOE stock, they do make it in the commercial -spec. As far as my current stock goes, I think it is a DPMS 6 position collapsible stock. There's not anything written on the stock to identify it or the tube.

BenSamp said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
No problem Sir, glad to help.

The tube diameter and rear surface angle are the only substantial differences between commercial-spec and mil-spec tubes. The threads are the same size, so you can change between them on the same lower. Most manufacturers will offer their stocks in both commercial-spec and mil-spec versions so you may not have to change at all. The other thing to look at is your tube length. A2 buttstocks use a rifle length buffer tube, whereas most adjustable stocks use a carbine length.

What stock are you running now and which one are you looking to changing to?

I want to get a Magpul MOE stock, they do make it in the commercial -spec. As far as my current stock goes, I think it is a DPMS 6 position collapsible stock. There's not anything written on the stock to identify it or the tube.

OK cool,

You shouldn't have to change anything to swap buttstocks then. You're good to go...

PaperShooter said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Lol, yeah LES it doesnt ever seem to work the other way around

Ain't that the truth... :lol:

So much goin on, I forgot to come back to this thread... but it competes with my 590 photo thread, so I'm conflicted. :lol:

I'll contribute my rifle to the thread though and I'm happy to do it! :D

Olympic Arms Plinker Plus Flat Top (PPFT)

Out of the box;
100_6331Small.jpg

And now!
100_6394.jpg

The info on the buffer tubes is appreciated BTW, Thanks LES!

I enjoy seein the rifles that have followed yall home too! (excellent line!!!) :lol:

Now, to re-address the .223/5.56 question bout a thread here;
We do have ammo threads and I feel it would be beneficial to have the info on these rounds too. I dont wanna get into writing a book, but I def think it could be helpful to our members to list some basic or general info and highlight several loads. To describe their uses and how to select a load. Whats gonna work with a 1:7 twist vs a 1:9 twist. I would also like to get some info on steel case ammo, how safe is it to use repeatedly over aluminum feed ramps and can it damage extractors?

I wanna finally start gettin info gathered on magazines too!

Both of these are topics I dont personally know much about except what I've encountered in my very limited experience... but I def see it helping our members here!!! Theres definitely enough interest I think and I'd be grateful for help compiling the info! ;)

Dang Brad, the Oly is lookin SWEET!

...and the 'black & tan' is highy appropriate for St. Paddy's day!!! :lol:

I definitely feel there is a need for a .223/5.56 thread in our ammo section, especially once the Mossberg MMR starts hitting stores. There is already a thread or two goin on the subject of what's best for yotes or other specific needs. We could start by combining any existing .223/5.56 conversations into one thread and giving it a new title.

Def like the black and tan, and lookin at the second pic, I just realized each of the three are black and tan! I seriously didnt plan that, but hey, it all matches! :D

What I'm thinkin LES... is that we really just need a sub section under ammo. I think there are enough different topics we can start to justify the sub section. That would save from posts running over one another. I'll wait to see what Dan says before starting anything else on it.

JohnA is gonna help get us goin with the magazine thread which I'll start in this section. BTW, SG Ammo has Magpul Pmags for $12.95. Not bad depending on the shipping.

I am soooooo jealous! My Sport 15 is STILL on back order. I've been looking all over the net for a basic AR-15 and I'm finding most brands are out of stock with no ETA or to expensive for what I want. I am not a doctor, I have no patience.

Thank you Joe and Kodiak!

Kodiak, I went to my LGS and gave him some contact info to call and get a hold of an OA rep.

About 8 business days later, my OA was at my LGS! I was told it could be as long as 3 weeks... But in reality it was just over an actual week. $700 dollars delivered!

They can be found for less, but you still have to pay transfer fees, I didnt. You still have to pay shipping, which I did too... I got out the door literally within about a $15 difference in cost havin my LGS order it, but avoided havin to deal with another party like Bud's for example, and still have the gun delivered to my LGS.

Theres more on there now of course... I have it broke down in the thread I began "Rossi's Complete AR... Mod."

A few new touches to the DPMS: flip up iron sights (touch of white enamel front and back - great!), Sparc Vortex on new slightly lower mount to co-witness BUIS, left side single point sling mount + sling.
7027980669_8be4ff3603.jpg

7027978833_041ba4e385.jpg

6881878500_37d7e11319.jpg

Coming along (again - phone photos with Photoshop assist) - some more range time outdoors tomorrow. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back