• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
RANGE REPORT:
I took my youngest daughter to the shooting range yesterday with her new beau and we shot off about $200 worth of ammo and had a blast.

They shot the Henry lever action .22. they shot the Savage bolt action .22 target rifle, they shot the AR15 and they also shot the model 353 Mossberg .22 rifle.

I also let them shoot the .357 cowboy revolver, the 9 mm Springfield auto, and the .22 caliber Ruger automatic and they did very well with all of those too.

This was the first time for either of them handling a gun and it all went very well.

I had two rounds in 60 FTF from the Winchester bulk ammo. All the CF rounds shot perfectly.

The new AR15 shot perfectly and I was very pleased with the way it handled and loaded and everything. I shot 5.56 Federals and .223 PMPS and all were perfect.

The California bullet button is a pain in the butt but I guess I can deal with that for the privilege of owning this gun.

I have not shot a 16 inch barrel AR before so I was surprised at how loud it was but still the gun is very stable.

I can see why this is one of the most popular rifles in the entire world.

It's another lovely day here, and after I get the shifter aligned I may take a ride out to the range and shoot the AR some more.[/quote]

Oh yeah.. My AR Scope is still on the Henry so I gotta get that off and put it on the AR before I go.

Yesterday I shot with the iron sights and so I really can't tell you anything about accuracy at this point.

I will start an AR thread soon.

Actually I didn't even want an AR. I just bought this from him because I've known him almost 30 years and he wanted to do this budget AR build.

If I was going to war I'd pick up an AR, but I don't think they're that interesting to shoot at the range.

Easy to shoot for sure.

But I guess I'm not really in love with them.

But you will be one of only a few people I have ever known that didn't catch BRD (black rifle disease) from a single AR if you don't.

RANGE REPORT:

The new AR15 shot perfectly and I was very pleased with the way it handled and loaded and everything.

but I guess I can deal with that for the privilege of owning this gun.

I have not shot a 16 inch barrel AR before so I was surprised at how loud it was but still the gun is very stable.

I can see why this is one of the most popular rifles in the entire world.

<Snip> city dude but I love this shit......get some Caddmann, your done for dude go ahead and drop by your friends house, kick him square in the nuts, buy an upper vice block and some parts before election panic kicks in ..... and a cubic pant load of ammo.....need more ammo.....and mags

OH and tell JohnA he was right and you are sorry :D

<Snip> city dude but I love this shit......get some Caddmann, your done for dude go ahead and drop by your friends house, kick him square in the nuts, buy an upper vice block and some parts before election panic kicks in ..... and a cubic pant load of ammo.....need more ammo.....and mags

OH and tell JohnA he was right and you are sorry :D

Lol, I've not known anyone to pick up an AR and not love it in very little time!

Lol, I've not known anyone to pick up an AR and not love it in very little time!
yeah bro I held out so long....was perfectly happy rocking my Mini14...what a great gun that is but damn if the first time I shot an i didn't have to own one

JohnA loaned me the tools, some knowledge and it was over with....I have since become a student of the AR15 platform and its GENIUS...I scrounge and talk and read and wright all I can on the platform , I just crave the knowledge

Eugene Stone, a genius.

I shot with benchrest shooters at 600 yards then went and shot gongs and barrier drills at 7 yards in the same day with the same freak rifle that I built in my garage

show me a more versatile firearm.....from a 7" PDW to a 1000 MOA rifle and every damn thing you could dream of in between and all interchangeable buy pushing do freakn pins

Okay, well in that case here's a blanket apology to John and to anyone whom I may have offended for being such a Luddite about these things.

I enjoy shooting the cowboy guns. I like the historic guns. I want to go out and shoot a brown muzzle loader just to hear the thing go boom.

A Luger, a Mauser a Walther . . . Guns with romantic and deadly histories.

My only real attraction to modern weapons revolves around 2 things:

One is a high dollar German target rifle. The bill for that is going to shock my wife a little bit so I'm putting it off till the circumstances are more perfect. That is to say until the kitchen is remodeled and my wife is happy with the backyard and the man cave Annex is complete.

Also I figure I could use some serious target practice before I deserve such a thing.

The second thing did not really occur to me until after I had the AR 15 in my hands for the first time.

Except for the modern Tactical buttstock & the lack of a carry handle or bipod this is image of the gun my father was issued in in Vietnam in 1964.

So you see, there again it's the historic, the sentimental, the romantic attractions of firearms which bring me around, and not so much the technical superiority of one gun over another or desire to have the most cool toys on a firearm.

But remember I never had to go out and shoot anyone for a living.

It's gotta be a whole different story if you were in the military or you serve as some agent of the law.

Last edited:
Well at least the dog kennel is now secure.20160312_084938.jpg

Hey, I got a real fake 30 round banana magazine (made out of plastic) from Hexmag, that's California legal because it only holds 10. For $13.95 I couldn't pass it up.

I will have to get her a better photo with that mag in it . It makes this gun look a lot more . . . ummm . . . masculine :cool:

Last edited:
But remember I never had to go out and shoot anyone for a living.
no, however you may need to shoot to keep living .....and in that case you want the best gear you can get.......and learn to use it like your life depends on it.
Have a weapon born and bread for war is many things. History, semimetal and those things are great reasons to own one but bottom line lots of guns do that and punch paper better and do a variety of things better.
Battle born guns are a dooms day provision that are really fun to do a lot of things with in the mean time .......an insurance policy you hope to never cash

Well, yes, there is that, and pretty much the reason Dad taught me to shoot back in 1963. He served through 3 wars and he figured I might have to do the same.

But I'm not a real big believer in the SHTF scenario.

But I'm not a real big believer in the SHTF scenario.

that's good, but no matter how remote the possibility exists. It doesn't hurt anything to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best .

Having an AR15 is a very big step in the right direction.

Most popular rifle in the most popular cartridge, cant go wrong. Pretty much find the ammo in the ditch , find the parts at every other house

Well as the sergeant said, "By the time I need one, they'll be lying all over the ground."

Anyhow I did get judy out to the range Saturday to shoot her new 10-22, and I let her shoot the AR.
She did not take to it well, and went right back to the 10-22.

OTOH I am taking to it, and I shot it pretty well. Also I noticed that the green-dot scope had been left turned on since Wednesday. That scope had been left on for days before as well, and the battery has not yet gone dead.

I do not like the charging handle, and will probably get the improved one or mod this one. It seems kinda small and hard to get ahold of.

I really like the new bi-pod. It clamps on tight and doesn't wiggle.

I was watching the guys at Sportsman's Warehouse mounting a Harris on this guys fancy AR. It's got a tac rail floating forestock system, and still they're trying to put a sling stud and adaptor on the thing. What a joke!

Let's take the worlds sturdiest and most versatile forestock and put a cheesy adapter on it, so it'll accept a bi-pod with a flimsy mounting system.

I can only think that they didn't have the sense to try and up-sell this guy (who had a $4000 rifle,) a really nice bi-pod for $300, instead of selling him a $80 bi-pod with $30 adaptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back