• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cadmann, I like the YHM *(Yankee Hill Machine) extended latch. I think they're about $11 or $12 at brownells or perhaps it was midwayusa. They're pretty nice for an extended handle.

I knew the AR would grow on you.

I think that's what Oli was joking to you about apologizing for because you mentioned earlier that you just weren't digging it very much. Perhaps in another thread when I told you that if you didn't like them, you were one of the relatively few that didn't.

I like them so much, I might have two of them. LOL

Oh, that.

Yeah I get it, not that this handguard is anything like rigid, being just a piece of plastic and tin; but the original M16 bi-pods clamp right to the barrel. It's gotta be better than that.

(How else would you mount one anyhow?)

Cadmann, I like the YHM *(Yankee Hill Machine) extended latch. I think they're about $11 or $12 at brownells or perhaps it was midwayusa. They're pretty nice for an extended handle.

I knew the AR would grow on you.

I think that's what Oli was joking to you about apologizing for because you mentioned earlier that you just weren't digging it very much. Perhaps in another thread when I told you that if you didn't like them, you were one of the relatively few that didn't.

I like them so much, I might have two of them. LOL

Ill second this, ive put them on several handles. i get mine from Primary Arms.

My buddy has one that has the extended latch on both sides. I don't know who makes it.

Oh, that.

Yeah I get it, not that this handguard is anything like rigid, being just a piece of plastic and tin; but the original M16 bi-pods clamp right to the barrel. It's gotta be better than that.

Clamping anything to the barrel kills accuracy. Thats why free float tubes are so popular. Same concept as bedding an action in a bolt gun. anything touching the barrel will affect harmonics. A good float tube, with an accessory system (Im an M-Lok fan) and a bipod mount will give a nice steady rest without afecting the barrel.

In my last build i used a smooth Hogue tube, drilled it and installed the sling stud myself, still a good solid mount, just not as easily interchangeable as Key Mod, Pic Rail, or M-Lok. It was for my pops though, and he's not an accessory guru like we are.

Clamping anything to the barrel kills accuracy. . .

So if I hold the non-floating handguard with my hand, or put it on a rest, or put a bi-pod on it, it's all pretty much the same.
You are going to add restraint to the barrel in order to even hold this gun.

I can't tell you anything about the long range accuracy of this rifle yet, & being a carbine I don't expect miracles.

And if I'd bought the cheaper Harris, I would have had the same problem or worse.
I sure do not like the "split pin to swivel stud" mounting system.

Oh, that.

you have a good point about the M16 pod.
The reason it really doesn't matter is that I do believe you are using the pod as they intended the M16 pod to be used and that is simply a rest .
The M16 running full auto would benefit from something like that and when running 800 rpm precision is out the window....well how you and I think about it, there is what is considered full auto accuracy standards.

If you use a bipod for a rest it helps your accuracy.

Then there is using a bipod as a true accuracy shooting aid by preloading it so that it returns to the same point . When you preload a pod it has some serous torque. Hooked to your barrel would kill any precision....you might retain accuracy but repeatable precision, forget it. Hooking it to your less than stable HG, that is hooked to a stable plate that is hooked to your barrel is just all around frowned on for precission....most of precission is repeating things exact.....hard to do with that set up.....

As the barrel heats up, it gets way worse.

Believe it or not just shooting prone, not trying to preload can do it because your body weight just resting on the rifle.

From a bench, just using it as a rest, your fine.....your rifle jumps, you reset it , get all situated and shoot again. .....in a hunting rifle or fighting rifle or anything where a follow up shot might really count, that is no way to use a bipod.....you would be better off resting on a car hood or something as you will be about as accurate and can reset faster
Then you got the different torques uneven ground puts on the whole works....

How would i attach it ?.....well frankly I wouldn't. That there is a carbine sir.

I think from my interaction with you, that you would be extremely pleased with an SPR set up. Something 18-20", free float, bipod, with magnification, a comp, a 10 round mag full of 77gr SMK's
But I could be wrong, the cool thing is a couple wrenches , a few bucks and you can make that one into whatever you want.

. . .you are using the pod as they intended the M16 pod to be used and that is simply a rest . . .

OK I'm confused. What else could it possibly be used for? It's to rest the gun on.

Also to do a 18" or 20" I'd have to buy another barrel, and that's probably not going to happen for this gun. I may eventually buy another one with a rifle barrel, but it may not be .223 cal.

The bi-pod I bought also has a ball joint, so the thing will tilt on unlevel ground. It also will swivel of course.

I have no clue how well I will like all this yet. I just don't have enough time in on it to judge.

OK I'm confused. What else could it possibly be used for? It's to rest the gun on.

Also to do a 18" or 20" I'd have to buy another barrel, and that's probably not going to happen for this gun. I may eventually buy another one with a rifle barrel, but it may not be .223 cal.

The bi-pod I bought also has a ball joint, so the thing will tilt on unlevel ground. It also will swivel of course.

I have no clue how well I will like all this yet. I just don't have enough time in on it to judge.

I think were getting into intracasies here that are irrelevant. What hes saying is that youre using the bipod to support the weight of the gun, you get into benchrest shooting type rests and they are a full cradle, that holds the entire firearm. The purpose there is to let the recoil of the firearm react the same every time, and return to a near perfect zero. With your setup, and some practice, and good ammo you should be able to shoot 1 inch groups. That is more than enough accurate for most. If you decide to start chasing precision accuracy it opens up a whole new world of shooting. Guys like Oli, Nitesite, and I like trying to push ourselves and our weapons to their limits as far as precision accuracy goes.

its hard to explain, there is using it as a rest and using it as a super rest, one stresses your set up, one does not. if you try to use yours in a manner that stresses the set up it will affect accuracy.Depending on what you want to be looking at when you look at your target, it could be a factor in tightening groups.......if that matters to you
like a sling you can use it to carry a rifle and stablize your rifle when shooting , then there is the art of using a sling as a true shooting a accuracy aid.......same difference

Thank you guys for taking the time to write all that down there are huge books full of stuff that I don't know about guns, but I do know a little about physics. Anything you attach to a moving mass, like a gun barrel, affect its motions.

All other things being equal, I believe that a short barreled rifle, like a carbine (a gun really designed for Cavalry officers) would be less affected by this extra mass, because a short-barrel can not whip as much to begin with.

So while it may not be useful to put a bipod on a gun slated for a horseman (or a mechanized cav lieutenant) in the end I think that this bipod will affect the accuracy much less than it would on the longer rifle. (partially because there is less accuracy available to begin with.)

But is this actually true in practice?
I got no clue.

Thank you guys for taking the time to write all that down there are huge books full of stuff that I don't know about guns
thats two of us then

All other things being equal, I believe that a short barreled rifle, like a carbine (a gun really designed for Cavalry officers) would be less affected by this extra mass, because a short-barrel can not whip as much to begin with.

I think I know what you are saying and I think you are right for the wrong reason in a way. Yes the short barrel is less susseptable to whip and harmonics.
However with the bipod you arent concerned with the harmonics, you are more or less trying to bend your barrel with force applied to the bipod.
The shorter barrel will resist this IF the pod is fixed in a place that offers leaverage.
Your mounting spot would apply less pressure as it is closer to the fulcrum.

The way you have it would be less stress than say the M16mounting position , but it is tugging on it none the less......but then again the pod works better as a rest mounted near the muzzle because when the pod is closer to the middle of the gun it is too easy for youe body to influence the gun due to the balance , fulcrum point that the pod creates as it nears the natural balance point of the rifle.

You can deflect a cold barrel by hand preassure, it only takes a very sligh change to show big the further down range you get

Then there is the whole mounting metal, under stress, to plastic. The repetitive forces will eventually take its toll....either on the point of the pod mount or in the fit of the handguard halves to the front and rear caps

not trying to dump on your set up, just info....

. . . not trying to dump on your set up, just info....

Well, thank you Oli, but you'd be perfectly justified.

As I initially said, this was only a budget build, & you don't get a lot for $600 nowadays. In fact I'm amazed at how really good it is for that price.

I paid just about as much for the .38 cowboy six shooter.

Actually I paid $600 for the gun and another $400 for the scope and $130 for the bipod plus there's the scope mount (which I got for free but normally goes for $60 or $80) antenna $15 for the Weaver rail used to mount the bipod, and $15 for the scope cover. $15 for the hexmag .

I took off the flip over peep sight which is probably about $30, so that brought the gun down to about $570.

So it looks like I have at least $80 more in accessories than I have in the basic rifle.

I see how this AR business really works now. It's like buying a cheap car with no accessories and then adding everything to it after the fact.

It's actually more expensive do it that way but that's how you get something custom.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, youre catching the bug...... youll wanna build one soon enough.

Then you can forgoe removing all the factory stuff to add your own

I'm afraid that the Ruger Number 1 is going to come in first (LOL) but even it will come second to the new kitchen remodel.

I do all the real cooking, but my wife cleans the kitchen; and frankly it's getting scroungy. She will do a better job of cleaning, if the kitchen is pretty.

;)

I'm afraid that the Ruger Number 1 is going to come in first (LOL) but even it will come second to the new kitchen remodel.

I do all the real cooking, but my wife cleans the kitchen; and frankly it's getting scroungy. She will do a better job of cleaning, if the kitchen is pretty.

;)

You really don't need to spend a bunch of money to do things righter.....mostly
That is why the answer to build makes since, you start with what you want, don't end up with stuff you wont use....mostly
Knowledge and trigger time are far greater than parts........mostly
Ruger #1 ?......I own one.....in 270......excellent rifles ......AR outshoots it ........mostly......haven't worked up 270 rounds yet though

good luck with the kitchen, get a good convection oven so you can bake finish onto AR parts lol

It's the replica look of the No.1 I like.
But a .270 isn't enough to justify it.

.450-400 might be though...:rolleyes:

I was thinking a new AR for me would be .308 win, which means the AR-10 sniper platform.
There's the $$$ I was dodging....:D
It could be a $5k build If I save my shekels for a year or so.
Or I raid my retirement account, which seems more and more likely.

I don't want to croak without having spent it, and I'm sure not going to spend it running around to hospitals trying to cure the incurable.
Also if it becomes illegal to build an AR here, I'd be ticked if I waited too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back