• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR Folding iron sights

I just ordered some more parts for my AR project. I have most everything decied on but I am unsure about the sights I want.

Eventually, I hope ot have a scope or red dot of some sort, however I feel I should have and be proficiant with irons first.

So now my quandy; what folding iron sights do you guys that have used them like? I am planning a 16' barrel with a 13" quad rail forend. No gas block front sight, so I wanted a set of folding rail mounted sights.

Magpul has the polymer sights, but I am having a hard time getting by a plastic set of sites. I have been way over engineering this build so far so, lets talk. :cool:

I'm a fan of Troy BattleSights myself...

Troy Industries BattleSights

I run a rear folding Di-Optic with a front M4 style folding BattleSight combo on my midlength build...

Rear Folding Di-Optic BattleSight

Troy BattleSight Rear Folding Di-Optic Aperture (DOA)

Advanced design, superior sighting and battle-ready toughness define Troy Industries’ Di-Optic Aperture (DOA) Folding Rear BattleSight.

These sights provide lightning fast target acquisition and are manufactured to exceed military specs. The optically engineered apertures center your eyes instantly and effortlessly providing a clearer target picture than with round apertures.

The sights feature two settings, one for up to 300 meters and a second for up to 500 meters. This versatility makes the DOA ideal for military, law enforcement and home defense applications. These advanced sights have been extensively field-tested and, like all Troy Industries products, are Battle Ready.

Note: Sight is designed to work on same plane rail systems only. Will not work with a railed gas block that is higher or lower than the receiver.

Features

•Faster target acquisition with Di-Optic Aperture
•Increases accuracy to 550m
•Quick install, easy adjust
•0.460″ profile when folded
•Protected adjustment wheel
•Dual same plane aperture .50 MOA per click
•Aircraft aluminum 6061 & stainless steel
•Type III hard coat w/ black oxide or Flat Dark Earth finish

Front M4 Folding BattleSight

Troy BattleSight Folding Front M4

Durability and dead-on accuracy have made Troy Industries Folding BattleSights the hands-down choice of Special Ops and tactical users worldwide. Easy to install and to deploy, with no levers or springs to fumble with, these sights position apertures at exact factory height. A stainless-steel cross-locking system ensures sights remain upright and zeroed under extreme combat conditions. A push of a button folds the sights securely out of the way until you need them again (they fold to a profile of just 0.460). Troy BattleSights feature a zero-canting attachment system for use on all military and aftermarket receivers.

Durability and dead-on accuracy have made Troy Industries M4 Front Folding Sights the hands-down choice of Special Ops and tactical users worldwide.

Features

•No tools are required for adjustment
•Each click equals .50 MOA of adjustment
•Blackened Stainless Steel
•MIL-SPEC Type III Hard Coated
•T6 Aircraft Aluminum construction
•Available in Black and Flat Dark Earth
•Will not work on railed front gas block mounted lower than receiver height
•Made in the USA

*** The BattleSights also come in Tritium for use in low light conditions...

Troy Industries Tritium BattleSights

I also use a standard dual aperture BattleSight with the A2 front post on my carbine build...

Troy Rear Folding BattleSight

Features
•No tools are required for adjustment
•Each click equals .50 MOA of adjustment
•Blackened Stainless Steel
•MIL-SPEC Type III Hard Coated
•T6 Aircraft Aluminum construction
•Available in Black and Flat Dark Earth
•Made in the USA

I used the Magpul MBUS on my wife's dedicated .22lr build...

I understand your hesitation on using plastic sights on an AR, but Magpul makes an outstanding product. The MBUS are great as back-up sights but tons of folks use them as their primary. They are definitely an economic way to go compared to spending $200+ on a set of Troys.

Aside from Troy and Magpul, you should also take a look at Midwest Industries and A.R.M.S...

M.I.

A.R.M.S.

Ripsnortr said:
Wow, it's like you had that waiting for someone to ask! lol Thanks for the useful info.

No problem Sir,

Most of the info was sitting in one of my old build threads, so I just had to copy it over. Always glad to help where I can...

I have the Magpul MBUS rear, and the ARMS folding A2 front gas block. I know you dont want a gas block sight though.

100_6352Small.jpg

100_6355Small.jpg

I have yet to have any issues with the Magpul rear. Its not as expensive as other sights... it may not function as smoothly either. Not at all bad though and I rather like it! ;)

The ARMS, should you be interested, is AWESOME!

I was hoping to see your feelings on the sight rossi. What is the"feel"for durability? I trend not to be a very delicate type and I worry I would break something of a polymer base.

The MBUS is rock solid.

It's not your average plastic accessory and Magpul wouldn't put their name on it if it wasn't good to go...

Ripsnortr said:
I trend not to be a very delicate type...

I'm not either! :D I'm rough on my stuff sometimes... The feel for durability? I'm in LES's camp, I think the sight is a rock! ;)

Back