1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

AR15 Rifles and Pistols I have built.

Discussion in 'The Workbench: Builds And Modifications' started by tcecil88, Jul 27, 2018.

1. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

It is very nice so far. It has a pause between the time you press the brightness adjustment to when it actually changes, which takes a little getting used to, but that's minor. It is a huge step up from the Holosun 515BU that was on it. To be fair, they are not the same type of sight, but I like the bigger screen of the reflex over the smaller red dot. It is a smidge heavier as well, but that's minor to me too. So far on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it an 8, point deducted for price, $329 @ Optics Planet, and a point off for the starburst that the dot gives off, but I have astigmatism, so some of it is me. I have a Trijicon RM07 on my Glock 40 10mm that is a nice sharp dot, but that little sucker cost me over $400 at Cabela's Bargain Cave.
    Overall I am happy with it, and feel it will last me a lifetime of shooting with it. I would recommend it for a PDW sized weapon, or a PCC.
    Water Monkey likes this.
  2. dieselmudder

dieselmudder .30-06 Elite Member "Philanthropist"

I've got the Primary Arms/Holosun with ACSS on my 9mm pistol build. Pretty happy with it, not sure how it compares with the Elite series, although they look very similar. I swapped to a lower mount than it came with though.
    tcecil88 likes this.
  3. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

I finished converting my Windham Weaponry MPC from an M4 style rifle over to a Recce Rifle. I installed a UTG Pro Super Slim 15" Keymod rail with a BCM Vertical foregrip and a set of the UTG BUIS. I love the looks of a Recce Rifle, the longer sight radius for the BUIS is a bonus as is the ability to add accessories as needed.
    This particular rifle has a 1 in 9" rifled barrel. It shot the Frontier 62 gr. SP 5.56mm round into an 1 1/2" @ 100 before I put the UTG Keymod rail on it. I also installed an ALG Defense ACT trigger with a set Kaw Valley Precision springs. Hopefully between these 2 mods, the accuracy will at least stay the same if not improve.
  4. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I would suspect that if anything, you may even see a slight improvement with all else being equal.

I bet you'd even see a daylight and dark improvement if you could find you some 45 gr gr bullets as long as the wind wasn't blowing much. Best group I ever got period from a 1:9 barrel was with 45 gr varmint tips. Almost looked like a single hole.

But if all else stays the same, you didn't hurt the gun for sure. Floating the barrel and a better trigger. Longer sight radius. All go towards improving what the gun is capable of.
    tcecil88 likes this.
  5. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

I have some Winchester White Box 45 gr. Varmint rounds. I may try them out as I have never shot them in an AR before.
  6. John A.

Yeah, shoot a few and see how they do.

The 45 grainers get more velocity. They'll be screaming their way downrange ;)
    tcecil88 likes this.
  7. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

Anybody have any experience using one piece gas rings on their AR bolts? Seems like a good idea, but I have never tried them. McFarland makes them as well as Kaw Valley Precision (well, at least they sell them). I am thinking of going to them on one rifle, but I have not had any problems with the existing gas rings, so I am kinda torn.
  8. John A.

I use them on my SBR uppers. I see a pistol length being no different.

My reasoning for using them on the sbr's is the increased pressures and heat associated with sbr's.

I have not had any problems from using them in those uppers. They have held up really well and I can say that I like them.

With that said, any moving part is going to wear out eventually. Even the 1 piece rings.

If you can place the bolt extended out and face down on a table and it won't hold the weight of the carrier up, it's time to replace your gas rings.

And having spare parts is never a bad thing. Even if you install the 1 piece ring, it's not a bad idea to keep the 3 rings as spares hidden away in a grip or something for another day.
    tcecil88 likes this.
  9. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

That was my plan, to store the 3 piece rings away for spares. Thanks for the tip on the ring wear, I never knew how to check them other than for broken rings. I will start incorporating that into my cleaning procedures. I was thinking on that check, and I bet most of the M16A2's we had in my unit would fail that check. We started out with A1's that I guarantee would fail. :chaingun:
  10. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

Thought I would post a pic of the Windham. I shot it the other day indoors at 50 yards and it will shoot 3 shot groups into a nickel, so the free float rail and trigger springs appear to have worked, but I still have to shoot it @ 100 yards.
    Windham Weaponry MPC 2.0 LS.jpg
    John A. and Water Monkey like this.
  11. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

Just an update on Shorty P. I installed a Midwest 3 1/3" Blast Can and swapped out the UTG Pro 7" rail for a UTG Pro 9" rail to give me a little more room to hold onto. It handles and feels better now and the muzzle blast should be much better.

Shorty P 5.0.jpg

I also have built up another lower to the point of adding the receiver extension. I am wanting the X Products Can Cannon. That looks like alot of fun with the rubber balls they sell.
    meanstreak and John A. like this.
  12. John A.

Thats' a really good looking gun.

I wish the handguard would be a little larger inside diameter. If they were, I'd buy one for my blackout upper.
    meanstreak likes this.
  13. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

Thanks a bunch.
    The I.D. at the muzzle end of the rail is 1.378" and the O.D. of a 7.62 Blast Can is supposed to be 1.2".
    Dunno if this helps or not. I know some of the .30 cal suppressors are larger O.D.
    meanstreak likes this.
  14. John A.

Yeah, my blk can is about 1.51" OD.
    meanstreak likes this.
  15. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

I didn't think about the .30 cans being that big. A buddy of mine has my old YHM quad rail that was 1.75 I.D. on his suppressed .300 BLK so I should have figured. He has an Octane.
    meanstreak likes this.
  16. John A.

Yeah, I'm using the 1.75" ID freefloated handguard with mine because I had to have one to fit the can under it. But after getting to handle MikeD's big bore upper, I really liked the smaller diameter handguards that he had on that upper.
    meanstreak likes this.
  17. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

The newer slim rails are way better than the quads. I do have an off brand chinese quad that is just under 1 1/2" I.D. The top and bottom rails are normal height like a DD, but the sides are only about 1/8th tall. It feels good but not like the UTG Pro rails.
    meanstreak likes this.
  18. John A.

Yeah, the one I'm using on my blk is a keymod, though the top rail is built in.

[​IMG]
    tcecil88 and meanstreak like this.
  19. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

Good looking rifle. Is that an Atlas bipod or one of the recent copies that have came out? I would like an Atlas for my Remmy 700 AAC-SD, bu they are awfully pricey.
  20. John A.

That one was a knockoff. I bought it to see if I'd like it because there's no way I'm paying $200 for a bipod.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really care much for it.

About the only thing I like about it is that it's able to adjust the angle on each leg if you're laying in the dirt somewhere *uneven ground*, which I really like, but that's it. You'd be better off just filling up a little sack with airsoft bb's and using it as a shooting rest.
    tcecil88 likes this.