• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ATI Shotgun Barrel Light Clamp

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
OK, so as many of you know, I bought an 18 inch barrel for the Stevens M79 and outfitted it with a light using the ATI shotgun barrel clamp and Surefire G2 light.

To be nice about it, the ATI light clamp was a failure.

I only shot 6 times while testing the barrel out and working my way up in power with the loads I checked.

A low brass skeet load, 2 high brass 7 1/2 shots, a federal low recoil 00B, a Rio slug and a Remington slug.

And with each of the full power loads, the clamp kept moving forward and if I had shot 1 more time, I think the clamp would've fell completely off the end of the barrel.

The M79 barrel is thicker than a 590 barrel, so it didn't slip because the barrel was too small (diameter) for the clamp to hold.

Secondly, when I was first trying to put the light clamp on, stripped the bolt. One email to ATI and the next day they sent 2 replacement screws and nuts, so I can say they stand behind the lifetime warranty.

But as much as I appreciate that, I'm in the market for a clamp that stays where I put it. Anyone have any idea's.

Just FWIW, I am using a meprolight bead, so no matter which mount I get, I don't want the clamp to block my view of the front sight.

1149674450064_Shotgun_Clamp_SMC1100.jpg

Thanks for posting up your issue John,

I'd love to offer some suggestions, but all my light mounts are rail mounted. Let us know if you come up with anything...

I wish the review was more favorable, but it's in the parts bin drawer now.

Most of my lights are mounted on rails too, but that old shotgun, was made decades before rails LOL

Yep, that slippery glass-filled nylon or Delrin plastic stuff coupled with only one thru bolt to provide tension is a recipe for failure. I bet it's a problem not unique to your situation and ATI should know better than that. I'm not at all impressed with most of the products they bring to market.

Why don't you first try lining the barrel portion with something "grippy" like clear silicone caulk or cut 1/4"x3/4" pieces of bicycle innertube and try it out again before you completely give up? It wouldn't show externally and might provide the traction necessary to fix the problem.

The Tac-Star universal clamp is steel with two thru-bolts and works with most lights which are not very heavy.

http://www.tacstar.com/home/universal-barrel-mounts.php

I have one that I would mail to you for a free trial.

I agree nitesite.

If they put a thin rubber coating on the contact side of the plastic like the thin coating on channelocks for instance, that would hold much better.

I appreciate the offer for letting me try out a tac star, but that's the one I was looking to buy next anyway, so I'll just pick one up when I buy the heat shield for it.

Hopefully with ATI having a presence on our forum they will use this feedback to enhance their design...

Back