• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bead diameter

Not sure on that one.

From the looks of the description they may only work with Remy beads. I'd call the folks at XS directly for fit details on Mossberg beads...

Bottom right on the page gives the diameter of the bead .125-.140. Wondering if the mossy bead falls within that range.

I may be able to get that measurement. I have a digital caliper here.

Sweet thanks Ross. Looked at the bead this morning and it looks a bit on the tiny side.

Water Monkey said:
Bottom right on the page gives the diameter of the bead .125-.140. Wondering if the mossy bead falls within that range.

Yup, saw that.

Thing that looks wierd to me is that it specifically references compatability with Remington and makes no mention of Mossberg at all with that style of bead replacement. Aside from the size, I'm wondering if there are any other differences with the Remy bead's base or structure. That's why I would suggest contacting them to be sure.

It'd be awesome if I'm wrong, but the devil's in the details...

Fair poing LES.

What gets my brain turning is that they do have sights for mossberg for the tactical ghost rings so I'm wondering if the front bead designated for the plain barrel would also be Mossberg compliant.

If anyone can supply me with the diameter of the 590A1 front bead it will give me more ammo when I call them tMonday. I just found out they have a Rep who reviews posts on another forum. Maybe I'll give a shout out there as well.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Water to the MOnkey

Good deal,

I thought the same thing and I hope it'll work for ya. I'm just a bit OCD. I'm sure Ross will get you the diameter and you should be good to go. Thanks for get'n this going. I'm sure a lot of folks here will benefit from your findings...

Just got back home, as soon as things simmer down here ill get my stuff out and check back in.

Oh! My pointer pup discovered how to get out of the yard, give me abit to get some stuff fixed...

I got it brother!

My black 590A1 bead measures .1115".

The brass bead on my Persuader is smaller, .10905" I think it was. I can remeasure that one if anyone wants it.

If it helps, I looked at these and due to the size, I went the 5/40 threaded Meprolight. I had been told the Mossy would have to be retapped for a Rem bead and then install the BigDot. Additionally, I believe Vang uses the BigDot. They may be able to help with some insight on the installation?

Aww shucks. Thanks Rossignol!

No way am I going to hand my shotty to these idiots around here to re-tap my barrel. Especially for a bead sight.

I'll take a look at the Meprolight.

ok took a look. Very impressive on the Meprolight.

So all I need to do is unscrew the factory bead and screw in the meprolight? Do I need to add any sealant?

I didn't. Some use blue loctite.

The only other thing you'll need is a small o ring. The Meprolight bottoms out out of line with the bore so you need somethin to hold it up a little and tighten against. I used a very thin piece of kidskin leather on mine an trimmed around the base of the sight. I know we have pics in the "iron sights" thread somewhere.

The factory bead for the mossberg sight is to large for the xs big dot sight. It isn't the bead size it is the hex head below the bead, afaik on the 590a1. I had to take an end mill and counter sink and enlarge mine to get it to work. Or drill and tap for a #6 bead. i didnt beacuse i am lazy. Pic for reference
ib0XeZRNgUuK2T.jpg

i0sF6qkB5YNVq.jpg

Back