• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Black Tip

yeah, that's the color code and they attract a magnet. Head stamp is SL 53

he had all kinds of cool ammo but wanted a mint for them.......he had some Black Talon 44 mag !......bet those are mean as hell

I saw a box of .44mag Black Talons a few months ago that came in on trade at a local shop. They wanted $70 for the box. I know they're next to impossible to find at this point, but that was freaking ridiculous...

Good find and yes, surplus AP.

I had a whole 96 round bandolier of them when I had my Remington 7400. But the remmy didn't like them. Looked more like a shotgun pattern than a group, but that gun never shot well anyway. Vertical stringing, just a whole myriad of problems.

And to be honest, was probably the reason why it was my last Remington purchase. FWIW.

Oooohhh.... Twin Cities Arsenal/St. Louis Ordinance Plant ammunition could never be trusted, what with all their bad powder lots and stuff. But~~

Those boolits could be pulled, and then reseated in something else.... Like some 7.62mmx51mm for my rifle!

Just sayin...........

Last edited:
Oooohhh.... Twin Cities Arsenal/St. Louis Ordinance Plant ammunition could never be trusted, what with all their bad powder lots and stuff. But~~

Those boolits could be pulled, and then reseated in something else.... Like some 7.62mmx51mm for my rifle!

Just sayin...........
I learned that this is BS David....but I got you some pulled anyway. They are long and light , should be ok for that wimpy 308

Of course it was BullSchidt..... I was just having fun and thought that it was OBVIOUS that there was not any "bad powder lots" and stuff;;;;;;; but I might have been over the line an made it sound like it was da troof. I thought you of all people would know that I was funnin' around, Bill..... Damn, didn't mean to trick anyone.

At a yard sale? That is awesome. I never see anything like that here. But where I am, that's to be expected.

Nice find too man...

OP,
Be aware that those do utilize corrosive primers so clean accordingly. That being said, penetration is truly amazing.

Actually, they are not corrosive primers.

The Saint Louis Plant (SL) stopped using those primers in July 1952 for AP rounds. For Ball M2 the last production was May of 1952.

But DFB, I appreciate that you wanted Oli700 to use caution. Definitely worth mentioning.

(Now you can issue an Ammo Nerd Alert, MikeD!!!!!!!!)

Actually, I had to just laugh at the coincidence, but I typed in ammo nerd picture in a google search, and your avatar was listed in one of the examples.

I truly couldn't make this up so here is the screenshot.

ammo nerd.JPG

OP,
Be aware that those do utilize corrosive primers so clean accordingly. That being said, penetration is truly amazing.
I got the rounds that were made after the switch in primers according to the head stamp, but thanks for looking out

Back