• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

bolt worry

kris

.22LR
i am looking at putting a boyds stock on my atr and came across a few mentions of problems with the bolt coming apart. i love my rifle but should i be worried about shooting it? i bought it new in 2008 it does not have the lightning trigger.
any help appreciated.

I've been trying to find documented cases of bolt defects on the ATR and have found nothing but rumers and second hand accounts.

I found one thread where someone claimed it was due to faulty reloads. If that was the case then it could cause any gun to fail. I see nothing in terms of recalls etc, or any other hard evidence to indicate that any of it is anything other than internet rumor.

I would upgrade to the Boyds stock and shoot it.

If there is anything documented on this I would be curiouos to see it.

I've researched this heavily. I have found absolutely no proof or documented cases of the bolt coming apart. Yes, they are press fit together. So are a good many other things and it would surprise you at how strong this method is. The bolt shoul not come apart.

Also, I've heard many good things about boyds stocks. Get it and enjoy the gun!

Cheers for the reply, i am a fitter/machinist by trade i know how press fits work. I will tig weld it anyway will post some photos when i'm done. i have emailed cdi gunworks about their 10 round mag for howa 1500 it seems like a good fit, if it all works out i'll put up some pics and a how to.

Has anyone else found any info on this? I've been searching around and found quite a bit about one case where it appears the "victim" was one of lifes winners and it is alledged the rifle had been "broken" for some time and that he had pulled the bolt apart to fix it, and possibly not put the pin that holds the firing pin in back in when reassembling. It seems one witness saw the back of the bolt fall out when he pointed the rifle at the ceiling... indication that something is wrong anyone? Having said that the resolution to the court case is in lawyer speak and there is one forum where speculation on what it all means is rampant.
I'll post links later so you can read for yourself.

Thatguy.....I have looked extensively for any substance to these rumors and have found nothing.

I read the court case where the guy you mentioned was drinking all day...tried to modify his rifle...broke and abused his gun....beat it with a hammer when he couldn't get it back together , threw it against a wall and then fired it when it was obviously broken and claimed injury. I don't normally treat my firearms that way so, I wasn't too worried. Here is part of the court transcript:

Background

Plaintiff's claims arise from the explosion of a Mossberg 100 ATR bolt action rifle manufactured by Mossberg. On or about July 3, 2006, Plaintiff's fiancée, Bonnie Erickson, purchased the subject rifle from Wal-Mart with money she allegedly received from Plaintiff as a gift.*fn1 On the day of the purchase, Plaintiff and Erickson both fired the rifle. Neither Plaintiff nor Erickson experienced any problems operating the rifle at that time.*fn2 The rifle was also fired by Plaintiff's son and Erickson's son, neither of whom experienced any problems firing the rifle.

I. The Incident

Around noon on July 12, 2006, the rifle exploded when Plaintiff attempted to fire it. Plaintiff was alone on his back porch at the time of the explosion. Erickson testified that she heard Plaintiff fire the gun twice, the second shot being the explosion. According to Erickson, the explosion shook their trailer. She went outside, where she observed Plaintiff sitting in a chair with a towel against his face. After observing his injuries, she yelled through the door for the kids to dial 911.

Corporal Eric Brown and Deputy Russell Hemmendinger, both with the Pasco County Sheriff's Office, responded to the scene. Corporal Brown secured the area and collected the evidence, including pieces of the rifle. Corporal Brown testified that Erickson told him the gun had a bad bolt or firing pin that Plaintiff was aware of at the time of the accident, and that Plaintiff had been trying to fix it. Deputy Hemmendinger testified that upon arriving at the scene, he spoke with Plaintiff's neighbor, Charles Willey. Willey reported to Deputy Hemmendinger that the subject rifle had been broken for days.

Willey has offered additional testimony about the events leading up to the incident. According to Willey, Plaintiff and Erickson had thrown the rifle against a wall on several occasions prior to the incident. Willey testified that on the first occasion, the scope was severely damaged or broken. He claims to have taken the couple to Wal-Mart to replace the scope. According to Willey, a second incident involving the gun being thrown resulted in a long rod inside the bolt action, including springs and half-moon washers, falling out of the rifle. Willey further stated that "the whole thing, the whole magazine itself, fell out on the ground." (Willey Dep. at 26).

Willey claims Plaintiff showed him the broken rifle and asked him if he knew how to put it back together. Willey advised Plaintiff that he needed to replace the bolt action, which could be purchased at Wal-Mart. According to Willey, Plaintiff disregarded his advice and put the pieces back together himself. Willey later observed the bolt falling out of the rifle when Plaintiff pointed it at the ceiling. On the morning of the accident, Willey claims to have observed Plaintiff placing the bolt back in the receiver and tapping it with a hammer.

On the day of the accident, Willey came over to Plaintiff's home at around 10:00 a.m. to borrow Erickson's car. He claims to have observed Plaintiff drinking that morning, and further stated that Plaintiff and Erickson were "drunk before eight o'clock every morning, most of the time." Id. at 40. Prior to taking the car, Willey told Plaintiff to wait until he returned so he could take him to Wal-Mart to purchase another bolt action.

The incident occurred while Willey was out. Willey claims Plaintiff ignored his advice because he was drunk. Willey also described Plaintiff as "accident-prone," and claims to have avoided Plaintiff and Erickson whenever they were shooting the rifle. Id. at 29-30. Following the accident, Willey testified that Plaintiff asked him not to tell anyone that the gun had been broken prior to the incident, and that in return Plaintiff would "hook [him] up as far as money-wise." Id. at 62.

Plaintiff denies Willey's allegations and claims the rifle was not altered in any way prior to the explosion.According to Plaintiff, the rifle was fired approximately 20-30 times during the nine days preceding the incident.Plaintiff claims that he and Erickson read the entire owner's manual that came with rifle, together with a booklet called "Firearms Safety Depends on You." During his deposition, Plaintiff testified that the gun was not broken prior to the incident. He claims he never went inside the bolt and was unaware of any parts within the bolt.

On the day of the incident, Plaintiff claims he cannot remember many of the events of the morning except for the explosion. During his deposition, he testified that he could not remember whether he had consumed any alcohol on the morning of the incident. He claimed he did not think he smoked marijuana or consumed any prescription drugs on the morning of the incident, but could not remember for sure. Plaintiff believes he fired two shots on the morning of the incident, and that he had no problem operating the rifle prior to the explosion.

Great, now in the wake of this case all firearms are gonna come with the following disclaimer etched into the receiver...

*** The office of the United States Surgeon General warns that drunken gunsmithing may be harmful to your health. Women who are pregnant, nursing, or otherwise romantically involved with a drunken moron should dial 911 and vacate the premesis immediately if said drunken moron attempts to alter or modify this weapon in any way. If you are said drunken moron and are attempting to alter or modify this weapon, please for God's sake, put the weapon down and re-think not only what you are doing right now, but your choices in life up to this point. Weapon may fire with magazine removed. ***

I feel ammunition manufacturers are leaving themselves open for legal action as well by not stamping a comprehensive warning on each individual round, including an arrow showing which way the bullet will travel. Landowners should also have signage at every area where game might be shot reminding hunters of the safe shooting practices, and hunters should be carrying a PA system on their backs telling everyone within shooting distance that they are in fact not an animal.

Back