• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bore size?

wm2485

Copper BB
OK I just bought my first rifle and I have one, probably stupid question. Just purchased an atr 30-06. My concern is that the tip of the bullet doesn't quite fit in the barrel like my 9mm handgun. Will it take shape when fired... leaving the barrel. Or will it blow up and kill me.

I'm having trouble visualizing the problem. If you are chambering a round you should not be able to see the 'tip' of the bullet. The gun is a bolt action - does the round chamber and the bolt close completely?? Are you talking about rounds in the magazine?

A photo or drawing would be helpful. The 'blow up and kill me' part IS concerning!! Let's see more.

It chambers fine. I was just messing around and noticed the tip of the barrel is narrower then the tip of the bullet. lets just say you were going to try to insert a round backwards down the barrel. like that.

I can't say that you have the correct ammo for the gun from here but it sounds like you have general gun familiarity. I'm not sure about your 9mm but if you ever fire a squib (a weak round - say, primer, no powder) that does not make it out of the barrel - you will be amazed at how tight the tolerances are. A wood dowel works best (stiff but no sharp edges) BUT you literally have to pound the bullet out of the barrel.

Rifles and pistols are different birds. Vastly different pressures etc. The 9mm may have fluting / wear at the end of the barrel.

My advise - for peace of mind stop in at the shop where you bought the gun and take the ammo with you (bring it in safely, cased, bolt open, ammo separate) and ask a knowledgeable person (gunsmith, rifle shooter behind counter) the same question with an answer to YOUR satisfaction. Let them handle the gun and ammo.

I'm guessing that it's all good. You are right to stay safe in new territory!!

Get a good second opinion and happy shooting!

First, welcome aboard.

Second, you don't have a problem.

The bullet is not supposed to fit in the barrel from the opposite direction. As long as the caliber on your ammo matches the caliber stamped on your barrel you're fine. Bullet's don't travel freely down the barrel, but rather are pushed through against considerable pressure. This pressure is what forces the bullet into the rifled grooves and to produce a spin that stabilizes it in flight.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of your new 30-06. Feel free to post up pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Welcome from MI!!

Howdy and welcome to the club. :D
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere, and let us know if you have any questions. We hope you enjoy it here with our laid back, relaxed approach at Mossberg Owners.
And remember....
We're here to help, not hinder. ;)

ripjack13

Back