• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Calling on Garand Owners - Setting Zero

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
I'm reviewing all of the info on how to set up zero. Some say zero at 100 and others say zero at 200... I'm all confused.

Those that have zeroed what range did you zero at?

Also, if I zero at 100 do I set my elevation drum at the 1 hash mark and if I zero at 200 at the 2 hash mark?

What has mark do I set at battle sight zero 3?

Teach me the ways of the force....

I don't have a garand, however...

I want to ask at what distance you think you'll be shooting the gun at?

If you don't exactly plan to shoot it pretty long range (example) 400 or 500 yards or more, why would you zero it at the longer distances that you may not normally see yourself shooting at?

That, and the difference shooting between 100 and 200 yards, does not have a whole lot of drop (or rise) between the two between those distances anyway. I think a 147 gr 308 for example is only about a 2 inch drop between 100 and 200. But when you start getting into very close distances (inside 30 yards for instance), the bullet rise could be considerably off when using your sights considerably closer or farther than your zero. That's typical for any gun and bullet and is why I asked at what distance you normally plan to shoot it at.

As for the rear sight elevation setting, I am not sure on the Garand, however, for all my comm block weapons, I set them at the 1 mark for 100 yards, 2 mark for 200, etc. This works out for SKS's and AK's and Fal, etc.

The short answer, personally, I would start out at 100 yard zero. But I seldom get a shot at or over that distance anyway. You may would benefit from the farther zero. I just don't know how you plan to use it.

I'll be shooting at 100, 200 and occasionally 300 yards. And I'll be shooting 100/200 relatively the same amount.... thus why I'm torn.

Thanks guys.

Now another question…. I'm trying to put together a quick reference wind chart and I seem to have a small problem:

I plugged in the following data for the Prvi Partizan M2 Ball

BC: .392
V: 2745
Gr: 150
Zero: 100 yards
Drag: G7

When I plug in this in at 15mph wind at full value I get a MOA adjustment of 1.2 to compensate at 200 yards.

I then came across the M1 Garand zero video (old military video) and the adjustment for wind equation is (Range x Wind)/10

So when I use that formula at 15mph at 200 yards I get 3 MOA adj

Things that make you go hmmmm

So I changed to Drag to a G1 and this gives me a 2.6 MOA adjustment at 15mph wind at 200 yards which is a hell of a lot closer…. so is the M2 ball bullet a G1 drag?

Yup.

Most modern ballistics calculators only offer the G1 and G7 options. For all intents and purposes you should find that the G1 profile data will be closer to what you see on paper. In all honesty though, the difference in correction data between the two profile calculations is nominal at 200 yards. It shouldn't really start to mess with you until you get out to 500 yards and beyond...

Back