• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Can a shotshell be made to a blank?

Wrenches

.270 WIN
By dumping the shots out but leave the wad in?

Reason I'm asking is that I haven't fired my new 88 yet. I'm keeping it for SD but I want to find out that the firing pin works. My range won't let me shoot my 88 by myself and I'd have to travel to another range that will let me. Right now my car is acting up and I don't want to go far and end up broke down.

Thanks.

,,,,,or you could empty the shell completely and just let it hit the primer.

It won't be like a blank round and make a loud report like a gunshot.

The smokeless powder charge, minus any backpressure from the weight of the shot load, will just give sort of a Ffffffttttt and puke unburned powder.

Cut the shell midway and ditch the wad and shot and powder just like old mossy says. The primer alone will sound like a .22 LR rimfire going off.

What an intriguing question this one is!!!!!!!!!!

I see. So it have to have a load on it for it to burn? Interesting, yeah I'll do the primer shot. Thanks.

Have you ever played Call of Duty??

The sound you get when you shoot a grenade out of a "noob tube"... yeah that is the sound you will get with Primer and Powder lol

I probably won't even live the COD reference down but it's the best description :lol:

When I dumped the powder out some stayed in like it was caked or something. I didn't want to scrape it in fear of setting it off so I just fired it like it was.

That was a pretty loud bang but I had to clean the barrel because of the powder.

No, I don't play COD but I know what you're saying. It sounded like a firecracker set off in a can. It's got that whomp sound. :)

YEAH! That's exactly what it sounds like haha

The one time I had a bad .410 shell (wet powder) and I didn't know it. It made that sound and I just stood there dumbfounded trying to find out what happened. Looking down the barrel it looked like none of the powder burnt up and was just thrown out the barrel. I probably could have caught all the shot in my hand it was such a weak ignition haha (DO NOT TRY THAT AT HOME!!)

Anyhow, I guess technically you could make a "dummy" round by emptying all the contents. Is it going to sound like one? Doubt it as we have seen... and will it legally be considered a "dummy" round or will it be considered a "modified ammunition" (or variant of description)... Local and State laws may apply if any lol

The shell I fired is the Federal Target Load, 8 shot. I saved it in case the law showed up and I can show them the cut up shell.

I think with the 4th so close behind us the left over fire cracker explanation just ran through anyone's head who heard it.

I would rather be charged with lighting a firecracker than anything to do with pulling a trigger.
Long term consequences can be very long term and costly.
Throw away the shell!
IMHO

Unfortunately, showing Johnny Law a" cut shell" is exactly what I am afraid of you getting in trouble with.... I know it isn't exactly illegal in my current place of residence but I can't speak for you. Discharging a weapon within city limits, regardless of ammunition type, is still illegal anywhere I have been....

A Blank shell would probably fall under the category of yelling "FIRE" in a crowded place like a theater.

I just usually drop a new non sharpened pencil down the muzzle. If it hops back out of the barrel when you pull the trigger you know its probably gonna go bang. Leaves a nice indentation on the graphite usually. Obviously a 12 gauge bore is rather large for it so it might not hit the graphite dead center but even if it doesn't if it hops its a good indication your firing pin will protrude enough to pop a primer. No noise fun factor though :D

Glad it worked out well. Whenever you are ready Wrenches hit me up. I'll meet you at any local range and if your vehicles really questionable right now I don't mind picking you up possibly if you don't want to risk it.

I'm pretty sure your 88 will go bang over and over and over again without a hitch.

Just lemme know.

Thanks for the offer. My car is getting worse so it's gonna tie me and my money up. Since I can't pull a code off of it I'll have to buy parts til it's fixed.

By the way I checked the vacuum hoses and connectors, they all looked solid. I'm thinking electronic module or something like that because the problems shows up when it's hot. I almost got stranded today. It died and wouldn't start back up so I sat a minute with the key off and it started.

I'm a retired mechanic and it burns me that I can't do anything with the car because it's all computer and sensors.

Wrenches said:
Thanks for the offer. My car is getting worse so it's gonna tie me and my money up. Since I can't pull a code off of it I'll have to buy parts til it's fixed.

By the way I checked the vacuum hoses and connectors, they all looked solid. I'm thinking electronic module or something like that because the problems shows up when it's hot. I almost got stranded today. It died and wouldn't start back up so I sat a minute with the key off and it started.

I'm a retired mechanic and it burns me that I can't do anything with the car because it's all computer and sensors.
this is why my last 3 cars have been '91, '87 and '81....

My current truck(lifted '81 Datsun 4x4) can be fixed with the socket set, monkey wrench, breaker bar and a set of screw drivers that all reside behind my front seat... love it.

I can't even begin to count how much money my 2 years of highschool auto and a willingness to utilize a Chilton/haynes has saved me... that and I don't have a car payment every month...

Back