• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cant site in a scope on 715T

Prankster

Copper BB
I have a flat top 715T and have tried several different scopes on it. I have maxed out the vertical adjustment on all of them and my crosshairs are still to high. At about 60yd I have to use the 3rd mildot to aim. any suggestions to what's causing this or possible solutions would be appreciated.

Welcome Prankster! If you had the issue with just one scope that would be one thing... but if it has consistently maxed out your MOA adjustments, that would suggest to me that you're either using scope rings that are too high, or the barrel is somehow misaligned causing the dramatic difference in point of impact. I'm not sure if this is something that Mossberg warranty would cover (it should)... but you could also try scope mounts that have built in slope to adjust for elevation like THIS one ... while I'm sure they're pricey.. it could be an option.

Welcome Prankster!

What scope are you using and at what distance?

Scopes calibrated for higher power ammunition will often not have enough adjustment to accommodate the slower, less powerful rimfire round. When fired, a .22lr bullet will not arc upward in flight to the degree of more powerful calibers yet it will drop much faster. The result is a much lower point of impact on target. There are optics which are specifically calibrated for rimfire ammo that might solve your problem.

-or-

As AK suggested, there may be an issue with the alignment of the action/barrel inside the shell. If the top rail is not running parallel to the bore axis, then you would certainly have difficulty creating a proper point of aim/point of impact relationship.

Do you have this same issue with the iron sights as well?

Where do you shoot?

In my area the local conservation shooting range has alot of equipment and they are more then happy to help setup rifles.

One key thing is a bore site, one type puts little cross hairs at the end of the barrel and you adjust the scope to match those. Those usually get you on the paper and then you go from there.

When i started i didnt want to have to fight with my guns adjusting them at the range so i spent the $40. and i bought a laser bore sight from walmart. This is a little rod thing that slips down into the front of the barrel and you then align your sights/scope to the dot. I put a target out on a tree in the back yard at 25 yards and i put the + right on the red dot. When i get to the range im usually jus ta few clicks away.

The laser bore thing has been the most useful tool ive bought for my guns. Ive used it for all my pistols and all my rifles. Then when i got into scopes i got it back out and used it more. Its saved me a TON of time and money because ive moved scopes from one rifle to another and back then to my AR and back its just so handy to have.

With the bore sight i setup the scope mechanicly first i usually have to use shims in the back specially on my 715T that handle is so tall that puts the scope up like 3" above the barrel. If you think about that in order for it to shoot true the scope need to point down 3" to be in the center. So i used shims (electrical tape is what i normally use pop cans work also) I then shim the back to raise the rear point the front down bringing the red laser close to center. Then when i get it as close as i can all tight i then adjust the turrets just a few clicks till its on.

Back