• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Charging Handle

I know this sounds as dumb as dumb can be, but I'm having a real time of it removing my charging handle.

I swapped out the standard Mossberg waterfowl version for the oversized tactical one (genuine Mossberg part) and I'm having a pig of a time removing it. I'm completely stripping the gun for its 1st clean and to remove the magazine tube (but that's another story).

I've tried jiggling it while pulling with pliers, I've even tried prying it out with flat blade screwdriver. Nothing. Now I've marked the receiver when the rag I was using to protect it slipped :(

It should come out if you pull it straight out from the bolt If it's stuck that tight, I'm not sure off hand. Sounds like the notch may have been cut too steep and it not depressing the plunder when you pull on it.

Other than take it to gunsmith, anyone got any ideas?

Would it come out easier if I reassembled gun back together 1st?

I've tried it both ways. The bolt doesn't seem to want to lock all the way back since it's all stripped? But as per Jerry Miculek video I held the bolt back a little when trying to remove it.

The first time I stripped my JM Pro, the charging handle was a real bear to remove.
Probably took 15 minutes for me to get it out.
After that, it was much easier.

Was there any "trick" you discovered to it?

Not really.
I just kept wiggling the handle and pulling. And I had to yank hard on it. It wasn't at all like the easy removal shown on the video.
There is a spring and detent pin that hold the handle in place, and you have to overcome that spring force and cause the pin to retract.

Only thing I can think of now is sticking a couple layers of duck tape to the receiver (so I don't mark it further) and try a little pry bar.. I don't know what else to do

Have you tried just squirting some oil around it and into the bolt? Perhaps the retaining pin and spring are siezed

I haven't tried that yet Mike. I just figured that with the gun being brand new that wouldn't be a factor but your right, maybe the "v" on the handle is a bit sharp and some oil might help. Thanks. I will report back tomorrow..

Update. Tried a little oil. Let it work in overnight. Tried wiggling and pulling as usual - nothing.

Decided that some Scottish finessing was now required.... Wrapped lots of duct tape round charging handle, clamped a big set of mole grips onto it (but not tight enough to deform), put the gun on the carpet with my big foot on it for support and heaved!

Bingo! But boy did it take some shifting! Also noticed that it was in so tight that the oil hadn't even touched the "v".

Here's the question: now that it's out, should I polish the "v" a little to aid future removal?

If in the USA, contact Mossberg and get a new one. They are so used to replacing parts on their guns, they probably will not charge you for the part or shipping.

Mike check my post above. I'm in Scotland ;)

I do have the original "waterfowl" spec charging handle that the gun came with but the tactical type from the spx/JM Pro feels so much nicer to use. Especially with a gloved hand...

Update. Tried a little oil. Let it work in overnight. Tried wiggling and pulling as usual - nothing.

Decided that some Scottish finessing was now required.... Wrapped lots of duct tape round charging handle, clamped a big set of mole grips onto it (but not tight enough to deform), put the gun on the carpet with my big foot on it for support and heaved!

Bingo! But boy did it take some shifting! Also noticed that it was in so tight that the oil hadn't even touched the "v".

Here's the question: now that it's out, should I polish the "v" a little to aid future removal?

Polishing couldn't hurt if it's that tight. Make sure the detent pin and spring move freely too.

If you have the original as well then get a micrometer/vernier and measure both then file the new one if different,and polish.
(by the way haven't got mine yet, waiting for a JMPro to arrive at dealers.

Back