• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Chopped my 28" barrel tonight.

OhioArcher said:
Read this as I have an old 12 ga pump that I'd like to shorten. My question is other than using a hacksaw, what is can be used? Will a heavy duty pipe cutter be enough to cut through the steel barrel? I can use an angle grinder with a whiz wheel but I'd like to keep the end straight as possible.

Thanks.

No takers on this? Since I have a couple of SG's I don't use, I want to make one into a HD weapon. My 500 will stay setup like it is and generally go where I go as an "oh chit" defensive weapon. Bu the one I want to shorten has a loonngg barrel that I need to cut down. If I need to use a hacksaw or angle cutter, what is the best way to clean up the end? Will I need to have it threaded for a removable choke (I think it is a IC right now)?

On second thought, I don't think I'm going to do that. I did some research and this may be my grandfather's shotgun. At the least it is my Dad's. It's a Stevens Model 77C. I may switch roles of my MB 500 and use this one for other things.

I wonder how well it will handle slugs? It definitely needs a new recoil pad. The original one is crushed.

Nice job. I saw a similar job on Youtube when I was researching for my "mossberg 500"......My 500 turns out to be an 835 ulti mag. Typical wood setup currently. I want to turn it into a HD/Tactical. AR stock, pistol grip, chop, etc. Would really like to end up with more of a stand-off barrel with a brake. Any ideas???? Should I have the barrel threaded and just thread one in? Weld? My gun says to not use slugs. What is the concern there? It is chambered for 2.5", 3" & 3.5".

Back