• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Concealed Carry Discussion: Tips and Tricks

Re: Home carry good or bad idea?

I do quite regularly when I'm outside.

(We have a lot of coyotes and snakes and other things that I don't want hanging around).

If you're talking about carrying indoors, I suppose you could, or you could just hide it out of sight that's easy to get to.

I may or may not have one hidden in a picture frame hanging on the wall beside my front door.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hooru9TsV74[/youtube]

I like that a lot John! looked at their site and looks like they don't carry that one any more. i'll have to find it somewhere else

yeah! that thing is really cool. There is a larger version perfect for that tactical mossy. Too bad both of them are sold out, and they don't show a price for either one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOYRAmdPIdg[/youtube]

If you do a search for hidden gun storage on google, I'm sure you'll get all kinds of idea's.

Granted some of them have nothing to do with hiding a gun, some of them are really good.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hidden+ ... 80&bih=812

I think this one is kinda nice

hidden-gun-compartment-in-curio-cabinet-furniture.jpg

And this is a good read and has several other examples
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-co ... -the-home/

I don't holster it in the house, but my 92 Vertec is sit'n on the end table about six inches from my elbow as I type this. Carry in the house or don't carry in the house, that's up to you. However, the TV remote will do you a lot more good defending yourself when the door gets kicked in than a firearm locked up in the bedroom safe...

Thanks LES,

That makes a lot of sense. I think watching the news is starting to get to me...LOL

At home I have a tendancy to relax and kick back. In a sense it's where I feel comfortable and at ease...safe. It my blind spot. That realization is what got me started thinking about home carry.

In a way home carry has the feel of being way over the top, and yet if someone kicks in the door bent on mayhem, and I didn't have the immediate means to protect myself, I'd be wishing I did.

Maybe I just need to quit watching the news...scary stuff...

Quick safe is on main floor. If I'm alone and spending hours in an upstairs office or other locations like garage or basement I'll tuck my CCW 9 mm in my IWB especially if I'm home alone. My Benchmade is always with me but I live in the city and I don't see any reason to have unwanted guests between me and solid self protection.

I do the same thing Gunner.

When I get home I tend to melt into the couch a lot of the time. The world isn't get'n any easier to live in, that's for sure. A lot of folks assume the BGs only come out in the middle of the night when you're asleep, but that's not always the case. There's no guarantee that you'll ever actually have to use your firearm to defend yourself in your own home, but I don't plan on spending the afterlife wishin I'd been better prepared if something ever did go down. We've all gotta check out sometime, but that doesn't mean we can't stack the deck in our favor...

I started carrying at home after several mid-day robberies happened within a few miles of my home. The last one was a gang of 8 men, split into 2 groups, and they hit 2 homes at the same time. They were caught and 4 were arrested and 4 fled.

The same sort of thing started happening around here a few years ago. That's when I started making sure there's always a firearm within arms reach.

I have firearms stashed on every floor of my home...where my wife, daughter, and I are the ONLY ones who know where they are hidden.

I live Northwest of Philadelphia and the crime is spreading out to where I live. Home invasions are not uncommon in broad daylight. We have a guard dog, motion detectors and lights...steel doors on all the main entrances with two dead bolts each. Both myself and my girls are armed inside and outside the home. My property is well manicured with bushes and trees that are placed to look nice but don't block the view. All that...and the two nosey old ladies on either side of us...about a half acre away on either side...complete the concentric defenses I have in place. :cool:

I have a friend who always carries. Inside or out of his home.

One of the things he made a point of specifically mentioning to me was while on the can or in the shower (not in the shower but on a shelf just outside the shower) when you (generically you) are at your most vulnerable. He figures whether its for his protecion or his wife's, the last thing he wants is to be surprised in a moment when he is least prepared. The solution is to always be prepared, especially in the event there should be a home invasion while he is in the shower and his wife otherwise unprotected.

I havent yet brought myself to the point of carrying in my home, but I certainly dont see a good reason against it, but rather many good reasons for it. I dont particularly have any issues with my kids seein me carry either though Jenny may defer to the standard response;

"Youre an idiot."

Ya know I figured I'd get that same response from my wife when I started bringing the gun downstairs with us while we were lounging. To my surprise, she was on board with it from the jump.

I either carry or have one within reach when at home.

Way to many home invasions happening near me to let my guard down. My city topped the FBI's list for a reason.

It seems that there is a consensus that, home carry is acceptable as a practice. The old addage that its better to have a gun and not need one, than to need a gun and not have one, applies.

I do like the idea of having hideout cubbies in the house such as were posted, yet honestly would more than likely just slide a 1911 between the seat cushions of the couch and call it good.

I think a small pocket piece is something I'll look into, a little 380 or something along those lines, that could be slipped into a front pants pocket and dissapear.

I think the front pocket carry applies to us older guys since we have a tendancy to wear looser fitting clothes than you younger fellows and there is a reason why but it escapes me at the moment...lol

Quick update on the holster. Quality wise it's as good as any hybrid holster I've tried. The leather might be a little thicker than a Crossbreed but I'm going off memory. It broke in pretty quick and is pretty comfortable to wear. Old Faithful said using the center hole position for the belt clip worked for almost everybody. My XD printed bad with the clips mounted in the center holes. I moved them to the top, for deeper carry, and that fixed the printing for the most part.

I'm probably gonna get a smaller single clip leather holster from TN Holster Co for the summer so don't know how much I'll use this one for summer carry but I think it's worth the price I paid for it and then some.

I finally got a notice that I was approved for my pistol permit, 6 weeks after applying. I am going to go pick it up today and I will being carrying my S&W 642 IWB. Eventually I will carry my 9mm Springfield XDSC and maybe when I get a 1911 I'll take turns with that one also, but I am really more comfortable with my revolver for concealed carry. It will be nice to be able to walk my dog at night time after work without feeling vulnerable! She needs two, one hour long walks each day and when I don't get home until 9:30 or 10:00, I don't always feel comfortable getting back from a walk at 11:00 P.M. unarmed.

Here's my Kahr CW9 setup. It's a great IWB gun (with 3.5" barrel it's no pocket pistol) and the leather Hume is about as friendly as IWB can get. Depending on dress and the day I can carry mags (2@7, 2@8 extended) in a variety of ways often I toss one in the pocket rather than load up the belt. If I carry the two extended mags with one in the chamber I have 17 rounds on me. Add another 7 mag and I have 24 and 31 if I want my pants to fall down!! I recently shot a BUG gun IDPA match and the Kydex pouches did come in really handy! :D

6921877640_36e78aa19d.jpg

I went out in public for the first time carrying a gun today. I had to do some grocery shopping and I figure that if I am going to carry, I should do so 100% of the time outside of my apartment. Honestly, I felt a little self-conscious, but I am sure that feeling will go away in a few days. I did find that I will need to start carrying my wallet in my opposite pocket from before. I was carrying IWB at 4:00 and I realized that the barrel of the gun was right on top of the corner of my wallet, which made it a little bit more difficult to remove my wallet from my pocket, and I was concerned about lifting my shirt up a little too much and revealing my gun.

Back