• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Confronted a car burglar

lol Nitesite I didn't take it like that or mean to reply as such :) I was just being a smart ass lol My bad if I came across aggressive or confrontational :(

Rjpoog, Yeah you know exactly what I am talking about! :D Also, nice avatar!!!!

mingaa said:
ThaGooch said:
Covering my basis is always at the top of my list when it comes to situations that call for confrontations. But being from the small town that I am from we handle things quite a bit different than they do in big city Dallas. I would have not shot at the men backs to me. Should I had fired the weapon at the moon?.....yes. I was shot at officer! No one could prove that I fired my shotgun, except who? the criminals? nope. Because the cops got there too late. Thanks for the responses though.
You are correct I am confused by your response. We seem to have a fairly broad communication gap. Disregard my comments. Please rest assured, however, that I am more than familiar with what a small town is sir. My home to age 18 - New Philadelphia Ohio in the rolling green hills next to Amish country is well within the definition of 'small town'.

Glad we are clear now! :D

nitesite said:
ThaGooch~

Please go back to playing Call of Duty Black Ops, spend time with your fiance and newborn, and leave us alone.

Thanks.

Call of Duty Black Ops? Buddy I still have a Playstation 1 sitting under my TV with some Crash Bandicoot. Please do not confuse me with that type.

Itsricmo said:
lol Does the name "Gecko 45" ring any bells?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
If this actually happened, I commend you on your attempt to intercept the Bad guys.. However, I can agree with everyone else on this subject... a few decisions should have been better thought out and should be considered for change should a future event occur. Firing a shot without being justifiably threatened only makes YOU the bad guy... Unlawfully killing.. is that even something to consider, regardless of the fact they were trying to rob you?

Not that I have to explain it to anyone, but I know that taking a life would be the hardest decision to make in my life. I never said that they were trying to rob me, they were simply trying to get into my cars. But looking back when I was a kid...If I had ever decided to break into cars or commit a crime and I experienced a person coming out with a shotgun racking it and firing a shell into the air as I was running away that would set me straight really quick.

Unfortunately not everyone learns the same way I am sure. :roll:

nitesite said:
Itsricmo said:
.... regardless of the fact they were trying to rob you?

Rick~~

By his own description they were not trying to rob anyone. Touching door handles and flashlighting the interiors of cars is suspicious but it isn't a crime. Activity like that might get a Trespassing Order against them if they are still around when the po-po arrive. Breaking into a car is burglary/theft, but it isn't trying to rob anyone (robbery = face 2 face and use of force/weapon).

nitesite
Thanks for the Wiki look up

Itsricmo said:
My apologies for improper terminology. I was just being vague and wasn't too concerned about terms when addressing a subject such as this one... Here I will fix it..

...regardless of the fact they were being suspicious and probably trying to steal goods from your cars and the neighbors belongings from their's...

Does that meet your standards? ;) If his local 5-0 is anything like mine they weren't out busting crimes they were at the pizza shop letting the Bank 1 block away get robbed :lol: True Story... Ask Rjpoog1989 about the FNB Robbery details :p

Nothing worse then thinking you have two men (possibly armed) hiding behind a car, and seeing cops go to communites next to yours and then driving off....it happened three times... :|

Re: House Burgler

mjadams61 said:
ThaGooch I understand what you are saying but please read.

The taking of a human life is not easy, even if it is justified, I know I been down that road a few times in a past I left behind. It made me a better person I beleave because I have no doubt in my mind I can do it when it comes to defending my love ones, any who dwell in my home or defending my property. I had to once when a armed burgler broke into my home. I lived in a 2 story house and my bedroom was upstairs and I had a girlfriend at the time that was 7 months pregnant. I woke hearing a noise downstairs and I crack the bedroom door and saw a flashlight beam downstairs.

This was before cellphones and the only phone I had was downstairs. I had a 1911 I grab from the nightstand and got my girlfriend to hide on the other side of the bed. I crack the door again and I saw the person was walking up the stairs. I waited until he got to the top and open the door all the way and I said in a load enough voice "Stop MF" as I pointed my gun at him. Well he had a gun and fire at me and missed, I fired back twice and did not miss. 2 rounds in the chest. I told my girlfriend to stay hidden in case there was others and I went to look.

I went and check and he was dead and notice he look like he was a teenager. I called 911 after searching the rest of the house and the sherriff came out with the fire dept and ambulance. The sherrif was and old family friend and knew me and my family along with the district attorney who was also a volunter fireman. I lived in Texas at the time before the castle law but after taking my girlfriend and mine statement and noticing she was pregnant the sherriff and district attorney justified the shooting because there was no way my girlfriend and I could escape danger being on the 2nd story. I found out later the kid was 16 and had took his moms 380 and my house was the 2nd one hit hit that night.

Even though that and others happen long ago and they was all deem justified I still think of what happen once in awhile and see their faces. I always wish there might had been another way but there wasnt.

I am sure that you experience that moment of having to take a life every now and then, or maybe more now and then. Couldn't have been easy, great story to read though. But looking back, you had to make that decision and I am sure you might still would have made the same decision. You have people to guard. Really good story though thanks.

LoveMeSome590 said:
After reading what TheGooch has to say I thinks its safe to say you sir are more of a liability to your community than an asset. You should seriously look over your responsibility to own a firearm or put it down and pick up a whistle.

Thanks for the input, ebay just confirmed my order now.

Possible you might get shot by someone who thinks you are the bad guy….better to be discreet for that alone.
I know hindsight is always 20/20 but if someone else might have been watching that unfold , in the dark, 4 in the morning, more sacred than you…..maybe one of these new gun owning sheep…..
”This is 911 what’s your emergency?”…”I just shot a guy chasing someone with a shotgun” “where is the person now?” …..” I shot them, I think he is dead…..he fired so I shot him ”……now instead of a fiancé she is a widow and a single parent.

ThaGooch said:
mjadams61 said:

The taking of a human life is not easy, even if it is justified, I know I been down that road a few times in a past I left behind. It made me a better person I beleave because I have no doubt in my mind I can do it when it comes to defending my love ones, any who dwell in my home or defending my property. I had to once when a armed burgler broke into my home. I lived in a 2 story house and my bedroom was upstairs and I had a girlfriend at the time that was 7 months pregnant. I woke hearing a noise downstairs and I crack the bedroom door and saw a flashlight beam downstairs.

This was before cellphones and the only phone I had was downstairs. I had a 1911 I grab from the nightstand and got my girlfriend to hide on the other side of the bed. I crack the door again and I saw the person was walking up the stairs. I waited until he got to the top and open the door all the way and I said in a load enough voice "Stop MF" as I pointed my gun at him. Well he had a gun and fire at me and missed, I fired back twice and did not miss. 2 rounds in the chest. I told my girlfriend to stay hidden in case there was others and I went to look.

I went and check and he was dead and notice he look like he was a teenager. I called 911 after searching the rest of the house and the sherriff came out with the fire dept and ambulance. The sherrif was and old family friend and knew me and my family along with the district attorney who was also a volunter fireman. I lived in Texas at the time before the castle law but after taking my girlfriend and mine statement and noticing she was pregnant the sherriff and district attorney justified the shooting because there was no way my girlfriend and I could escape danger being on the 2nd story. I found out later the kid was 16 and had took his moms 380 and my house was the 2nd one hit hit that night.

Even though that and others happen long ago and they was all deem justified I still think of what happen once in awhile and see their faces. I always wish there might had been another way but there wasnt.

I am sure that you experience that moment of having to take a life every now and then, or maybe more now and then. Couldn't have been easy, great story to read though. But looking back, you had to make that decision and I am sure you might still would have made the same decision. You have people to guard. Really good story though thanks.

Well that instance was the 1st time I ever gave a warning because I did not see the gun in his hand. All other times I knew they was armed and took the proper steps to make sure I was the one standing after it was all said and done.

oli700 said:
Possible you might get shot by someone who thinks you are the bad guy….better to be discreet for that alone.
I know hindsight is always 20/20 but if someone else might have been watching that unfold , in the dark, 4 in the morning, more sacred than you…..maybe one of these new gun owning sheep…..
”This is 911 what’s your emergency?”…”I just shot a guy chasing someone with a shotgun” “where is the person now?” …..” I shot them, I think he is dead…..he fired so I shot him ”……now instead of a fiancé she is a widow and a single parent.

There is always going to be a wildcard factor in all situations. I guess it would be different if I was telling the story, I shot in the air. But I didn't for a reason. Looking back on all experiences your head runs through "what ifs". Going forward though atleast if I find myself in a similar situation I will have more of a "what to do" mind thought.

mjadams61 said:
ThaGooch said:
mjadams61 said:

Well that instance was the 1st time I ever gave a warning because I did not see the gun in his hand. All other times I knew they was armed and took the proper steps to make sure I was the one standing after it was all said and done.

Spoken like a true last man standing.

My post wasn't well thought out and I apologize for not approaching it differently.
However, the actions you portrayed in your story (correct me if I misinterpreted) are not defensive in the least. As soon as you began pursuit on the alleged burglars youn took on the role of the aggressor. And after firing a shot, it would be very hard to prove in court that you were " juss tryin to scare em' judge". Could the criminals have been armed? Yes of course. Did you see a firearm or any other object that made you fear for your life? Not from what your story says. Discharging your "shotty" could be viewed as criminal and in no wat defensive.

ThaGooch said:
Going forward though atleast if I find myself in a similar situation I will have more of a "what to do" mind thought.
Sounds like a good plan and a good way to go into it next time, hope there isn’t one.
Be safe, be situationaly aware and get to know your neighbors so they don’t accidentally shoot you.

LoveMeSome590 said:
My post wasn't well thought out and I apologize for not approaching it differently.
However, the actions you portrayed in your story (correct me if I misinterpreted) are not defensive in the least. As soon as you began pursuit on the alleged burglars youn took on the role of the aggressor. And after firing a shot, it would be very hard to prove in court that you were " juss tryin to scare em' judge". Could the criminals have been armed? Yes of course. Did you see a firearm or any other object that made you fear for your life? Not from what your story says. Discharging your "shotty" could be viewed as criminal and in no wat defensive.

Majority of posts arent. :)

I keep referencing my initial post. The shotgun was never shot at any human being, never shot in the air, and never shot to "juss tryin to scare em occiiffer".

Looking back though.
-Cops took almost an hour to get there
-I knocked on multiple apartments around mine, no one answered
-The perps had already escaped under the fence GOD knows when
-I was truely outside alone at 4am

If I shot the "shotty" then thats all it would have been.

Now going forward. Yes if I did shoot the gun while chasing the men, that would make me the "bad guy" in court.
If someone armed saw this from the sidelines, my fiance would be widowed possibly.
Cops would have arrested me if I had shot the men in the backs.

This is known

oli700 said:
ThaGooch said:
Going forward though atleast if I find myself in a similar situation I will have more of a "what to do" mind thought.
Sounds like a good plan and a good way to go into it next time, hope there isn’t one.
Be safe, be situationaly aware and get to know your neighbors so they don’t accidentally shoot you.

haha good looking out :)

We both grew up in rural country towns. I know I was beaten when I did wrong and that set me straight.... I think more of it needs to be done now-a-days.

When I say "rob you" I am referring to the fact that they were attempting to enter your vehicle. Individuals of the night, that attempt to gain access to a vehicle or house without permission usually aren't testing the sofa or check out the blind spots... Obviously they were looking for something and it wasn't property of their own :lol:

Whilst the sound of a shotgun is a "frightening" sound if you are going to be on the receiving end, that doesn't always "set someone straight" completely... Unfortunately, they are only going to learn not to come near your place again. While that is good for you, it still doesn't solve the problem. The part of "firing into the air" has already been covered so we don't need to touch on that subject again. Please do not take any of this confrontational or trying to stir your pot.. just my opinion and views on the subject!

Back