• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cupola build

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Up until early this year our house had a cupola and weathervane on the roof. Well, it came apart earlier this year, so I've been rebuilding it. At first I thought I might be able to just replace the pieces that had rotted out, but after I got it down I decided that it would be best to just build a new one. The only parts worth saving was the roof timbers and tin.

Been working on it for a while, and I'm almost done with it. Used a variety of woods, pressure treated 2x4's, cedar, exterior ply, and pine. It's been an education, since I had to build it to fit the "foundation" that's screwed to the roof peak. I used the old pieces as templates, and made a couple improvements so I won't have to do this again in 10 years. Still have to finish up the woodwork, then paint it. And then get a couple neighbors to help carry it up to the roof.

Here's a couple pics. It's upside down in the pics since I'm working on the base that attaches it to the roof, which required a couple trips up a 20' ladder.

The fancy part.

cupola1.jpg

Fitting the base.

cupola2.jpg

The weather vane that will go on top.

weathervane.jpg

That's great work Gunny! I'm sure it will look fantastic once it's back up on the roof. Will you be refinishing the weather vane as well or leaving it as is?

Nicely done sir. I like the witch. I'd leave it just the way it is. It has character.

aksavanaman said:
That's great work Gunny! I'm sure it will look fantastic once it's back up on the roof. Will you be refinishing the weather vane as well or leaving it as is?

Thanks. The thing is pretty heavy as is and will get heavier. I just hope I can get it installed without dropping it off the roof. The vane stays as is, bird droppings included. :D

GunnyGene said:
John A. said:
I really like the witch. That is very unique.

If you didn't want to keep it, I was going to ask if you'd sell it.

Just FWIW, I found one like it for $395
http://www.windandweather.com/Weatherva ... MgodjnAAEg

I think that's where we got ours 13 years ago. Looks the same, except the paint is worn off of ours. Don't think we paid quite that much tho, but pretty close.

Inflation my friend, inflation. :)

A little update:

Cupola is done, except for getting the thing up on the roof. Hopefully my neighbor will have time in the next few days to lend a hand with his tractor. I'll post a couple pics after it's up. In the meantime the wife and I discussed leaving the weathervane as it was. She won. ;) Repainted.

vanerepaint.jpg

Finished, and back on the roof. Ignore the stuff growing in the gutter. I'll clean that out manana ;)

Cupola.jpg

Looking good Gunny! I like the weathervane too. I have an old one that I think dates to the 1920's or 1930's. It has a 1920's era car on it.

Back