• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cylinder bore (18 1/2")

Howdy Wrenches,

Simply put, a cylinder bore is optimal for using shot. The principal is to get multiple projectiles through the barrel and onto your target with as little shot spread as possible. With a rifled barrel, the rifling will impart a spin on the shot wad causing the projectiles to spin as they travel through the barrel. Upon exiting the barrel the projectiles will continue to spin, spiraling outward as they travel. Impact on target will resemble a donut with few or no pellets hitting in the center. With a smooth bore the wad does not spin, keeping the shot grouped tightly together and minimizing the spread in flight.

As far as the length goes, an 18.5" barrel is optimized for home defense where swinging a weapon with a longer barrel around tight corners could be difficult. Snapping the weapon up to your line of sight is much easier, faster with a shorter barrel as well.

Hope that helps...

Many people like to use a cylinder bore with slugs or shot at close distances.

A cylinder bore is the largest of all of the diameters of the shotgun chokes and usually lets the shot pattern spread more in close proximity.

It's not as effective at longer distances.

LES, I read his question a little differently. Didn't sound like he was asking about rifled vs. smooth bore, but rather Cyl. vs. choked barrel. So I'll address that issue.

Briefly, a cylinder bore is the same diameter all the way thru. A choked barrel does what the name implies - it chokes the pellets into a tighter mass resulting in more pellets hitting the target at longer range than would a cylinder bore. Normally only hunting guns with longer barrels will be choked. A HD gun will nearly always have a cyl. bore for the express purpose of covering a wider area at short range, since taking time to sight the target may not be in your best interest.

Here's a handy rundown on pattern spreads and shot including the various chokes.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/amm.html

For example a Cyl bore will typically give a 25" spread at 10yds, while a Full choke will have around a 10" spread at 10yds. These are rough approximations of course and will vary with the gun and the ammo used.

Hope it helps.

Edit: John you beat me to it barely. :)

Thanks guys. :)

Yes, my 88 is meant for HD, why I chose the short barrel. That's quite a bit of a spread though.

Wrenches said:
Thanks guys. :)

Yes, my 88 is meant for HD, why I chose the short barrel. That's quite a bit of a spread though.

You can reduce the spread somewhat by using various Flight Control ammo. Federal makes one. These types of rounds contain the shot in cup that holds the pellets together for a foot or 2 after they exit the muzzle.

shotgun-shot-seq-1g.jpg

Also, take a look at this: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot56.htm

Very interesting article. What I had in mind for SD purposes. Thanks, now I know about the flight control wad. I've seen 'em at Academy but didn't know what's the purpose was.

Looks like I'm going back to check 'em out. :)

The 25" pattern is a rough measurement, depending on ammo, you may get 10" or even less. Take it to the range, put a silhouette target at 10 yards and see what it does with your chosen ammo. Then decide if you need to change anything.

Besides, 25" is basically body width. If your aim is off by a foot at 10 yards, you still hit the target.

Head shots on Zombies though...

Jeff

weaselfire said:
The 25" pattern is a rough measurement, depending on ammo, you may get 10" or even less. Take it to the range, put a silhouette target at 10 yards and see what it does with your chosen ammo. Then decide if you need to change anything.

Besides, 25" is basically body width. If your aim is off by a foot at 10 yards, you still hit the target.

Head shots on Zombies though...

Jeff

There's always tradeoffs with anything. Slugs will make a big hole in practically anything including body armor, but you gotta be accurate. Various shot loads give a wider pattern, but less penetration. Which is why many people load up alternating shot and slugs. For Zombies, I've found this to be good choice. :D

samurai.jpg

Heh. Off with their heads. :mrgreen:

By the way this is what I collected so far:

Two 25rd boxes of Federal Top Gun 2.75" 8 shot (meant for skeet)
Two 5rd boxes of Remington 3" Magnum OOBK (15 pellets)
Two 5rd boxes of Remington 2.75" Sluggers
One 25rd box of Spartan 2.75" OOBK (9 pellets)

Still looking for #4 and maybe I'll add OOOBK to the collection. :)

Re: Cylinder bore (18 1/2")

2 3/4" 00 or #1 buckshot are excellent choices for HD. If you live without any close neighbors the you can also use slugs. You can practice with 3" shells but I would use 2 3/4" shells for HD since the 3" shells typically kick like mule and potentially do not allow for faster follow up shots.

Wrenches said:
Heh. Off with their heads. :mrgreen:

By the way this is what I collected so far:

Two 25rd boxes of Federal Top Gun 2.75' 8 shot (meant for skeet)
Two 5rd boxes of Remington 3" Magnum OOBK (15 pellets)
Two 5rd boxes of Remington 2.75' Sluggers
One 25rd box of Spartan 2.75' OOBK (9 pellets)

Still looking for #4 and maybe I'll add OOOBK to the collection. :)

Good variety. You'll probably get a few others as time goes on until you settle on what works best for you. I did. My preferred slug is the Brenneke 2 3/4" Heavy Field Short Magnum, aka Green Lightning. Primarily for hunting deer and boar. They have excellent ballistics out of my 590 Mariner. http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/h_heavy_ ... agnum.html . Had to order them. Paid about $2/round thru my LGS, so not something I use for target practice.

As for #4 buck, there should be a lot available. Rio makes a decent #4 buck at a reasonable price.

Thanks, be interesting to check those out. I haven't been back to Academy yet til I get my check at the first of the month. I remember that they have lots of Estate shotshells, I need to check it out. :)

Well, I did good today at Academy. I have a few dollars left and I was restless so I went there and found some #4, a Federal Power Shok 3.75" #4 Buckshot (27 pellets). Got two 5rd boxes of them and also a box of 25rd Spartan OOBK. They only have two left so I got one, looks like they're selling pretty good.

EDIT: oh yeah, I looked at some Estate shotshells, they're all birdshots so I'm not interested in those. Also they didn't have any flight control ammo.

Wrenches said:
Well, I did good today at Academy. I have a few dollars left and I was restless so I went there and found some #4, a Federal Power Shok 3.75" #4 Buckshot (27 pellets). Got two 5rd boxes of them and also a box of 25rd Spartan OOBK. They only have two left so I got one, looks like they're selling pretty good.

EDIT: oh yeah, I looked at some Estate shotshells, they're all birdshots so I'm not interested in those. Also they didn't have any flight control ammo.

you mentioned you bought some #4 federal 3.75,,,,,your maveric 88 is chambered for 2 3/4 and 3" ONLY. don't try and shoot the 3 3/4". they are magnums.

old mossy said:
Wrenches said:

you mentioned you bought some #4 federal 3.75,,,,,your maveric 88 is chambered for 2 3/4 and 3" ONLY. don't try and shoot the 3 3/4". they are magnums.

I think that was a typo I'm betting he got the 2 3/4". 3" is the longest they make. :)

GunnyGene said:
old mossy said:
Wrenches said:

I think that was a typo I'm betting he got the 2 3/4". 3" is the longest they make. :)

sure do hope so.

i see what he meant,,,,,federal 3.75 dram.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Federal-Hi-Po ... 4/19611934

just glad it was a type o.
,,,,,,and your right,,,3 1/2 is the longest shell. :oops:
:)

Hi wrenches, welcome to the forums. Where in Texas are you located? I'm in the San Antonio area. The Academy stores around here have been very plentiful in the 12g dept and lately other calibers are starting to become available again without having to camp outside of the stores a few hours before opening.

As already mentioned in this thread they carry the Brenneke slugs. I've stocked piled a fair amount of the Reduced Recoil Tactical Home Defense ones from Academy. They come in an orange box. Also that Spartan 00 buck stuff in terms of price per shot has actually worked out well for me to practice alot with. Shot spreads very comparable out of my cyl bore 18.5 bbl with the Remington Express green box stuff. You can't beat Academy's price right now on that Spartan stuff at just a touch over 50 cents a pop for range ammo. Beats almost a dollar a pop or more with most of the other buckshot available there.

That flitecontrol stuff obviously does cost alot more when they have it but when it comes to having a quality self defense load available when you need it price is irrelevant to the cost of your loved ones or your own life. You will want the best tool and resources available for it. A 12 gauge with some flitecontrol Federal buck is a great choice. Academy at least around here has also been frequently getting the Winchester PDX stuff and I've picked up a few of those. 3 OO buck shot with a slug in the same hull packs a wallop. I burned one box off, expensive yes but as with anything you should always fire a few of your chosen self defense load you keep in the gun for a serious situation just to make sure your gun and that particular load will play nice together.

That goes with any firearm used for serious social situations. That last thing you want to find out at the worst moment is the ammo won't chamber, won't extract etc........... Plus its nice to know exactly how it will behave down range out of YOUR firearm. While reviews and opinions are nice and all that firsthand knowledge is the best to go off as you will be reponsible for every projectile downrange and the consequences attached to them.

Keep practicing with the that Spartan stuff. Memory muscle is a learned skill and once you become proficient in quickly loading the gun and putting it into action god help whom ever decides to threaten your family.

BTW if you happen to be in the SA or Austin areas lemme know. Always looking for an excuse to go hit a range somewhere. Forum groop shoot lol.

Best.
J

Back