• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

factory prefired?

looking down my receiver today,(still have gimpy hand can't strip it for cleaning yet) say brass residue inside bolt ,the imprint of the bottom of a round on the firing pin face ,and brass residue in the feed ramp. is this normal? I think they test fired my ar15 after assembly. does anyone know? I mean it's no big deal .they gotta see if it works before it goes out the door right? the oldman.....

Yes, some of them are fired at the factory. I take it as a QC type check.

Yes, some are test fired. My Ruger SP-101 actually came with the brass shell that was test fired. It was in a numbered and initialed sealed envelope. Makes we want to work for quality control at a gun maker. I think of it as getting a new car and the odometer has 5 miles on it.

carbinemike said:
Yes, some are test fired. My Ruger SP-101 actually came with the brass shell that was test fired. It was in a numbered and initialed sealed envelope.

In some states, these fired rounds and serial number envelopes must be provided to the states justice dept for possible future forensics when a firearm is sold the first time.

Again, this is just for "those states" [my best demeaning sarcastic voice] and not to mention a huge waste of money implementing and continuing the program.

I have the one that came with my (then new) P22 and XD40.

It only pertained to new handguns as far as I know.

I have never seen one included with a new long gun, even though most companies do test fire some or all of them but you'd have to refer to the specific manufacturer to know for sure as that is a company policy rather than law.

This was "supposed to" stop handgun crime in its' tracks though lawmakers did not have the "common sense" to know or think that replacing certain components (ie., barrel, slide, or firing pin depending on the design) would totally change the result from the test sample enough that a bullet could be fired from the same gun, but would not match the factory fired casing.

And besides, they do not include the actual test fired bullet in the sample, so that does very little to identify anything other than the firing pin struck it. :roll:

This is a PRIME example of why lawmakers should not even debate "common sense firearm laws".

I went to another gun shop and looked at a sand colored 930 that was for sale and it had more brass residue in it's receiver area than mine . like you say QC at work which is good.

John A. said:
In some states, these fired rounds and serial number envelopes must be provided to the states justice dept for possible future forensics when a firearm is sold the first time.Again, this is just for "those states" [my best demeaning sarcastic voice] and not to mention a huge waste of money implementing and continuing the program.

John, I'm glad we have you on board here with your memory and past experience as an FFL. I forgot that some states did this. I'm sure if you asked them it didn't work because it didn't go far enough. That's probably where their talk of micro stamping comes in.

Microstamping is even a bigger joke.

5 seconds with a dremel or 200 grit sandpaper = unmarked/illegible firing pin.

Find another criminal buddy and simply swap your firing pin for theirs, or order a new one from the factory because yours broke or was defective will negate the whole marking process entirely.

Even normal use will deteriorate micro stamping, which would eventually turn the number 8 into a number 6, or a number 9 into a number 4 just by shooting it a lot and the wearing of the marking and cause misidentification problems. All of us know what happens when two metals rub together over time. And still even the fact of face to face transfers and thefts after the first owner takes possession will also stop the files from being accurate.

And not even to mention people that can pick up spent casings to distribute falsely at crime scenes and use shell catchers and revolvers and bolt actions and single shot break actions that won't eject used brass so it isn't left AT a crime scene in the first place.

I could go one, but would probably be preaching to the choir.

While well intentioned, it's common knowledge in the industry that it will fail and why. Sadly, average common people and criminals are smarter than the politicians making the laws.

I think many of them are pre-fired. My gun shop owner mentioned that his only issue with Mossberg was that their guns always came with a crapload of brass marks on them.

Back