• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Fade to BLK

WNCmotard

.270 WIN
Supporter
So I've been interested in the .300 blackout round for a while now, and so I decided on a .300 blackout (.300blk for short) build for my deer gun for next season (at least that's my excuse for another gun build :D), and parts are starting to roll in so I thought I'd post up a few pics. It will be built up as a pistol, and the lower was transferred as such until I file for and receive my stamp to go the SBR route. I'll update as stuff shows up.

zNJEGfQ.jpg

120gr .300blk vs XM855 62gr 5.56mm

Wsvo7bh.jpg

Great topic title. And One of my favorite songs from Metallica. (Did you notice that I capitalized "One" for a reason--pun intended)

Anyway, everything I've read about the supersonic is they are comfortably between a 30-30 and 7.62x39, so it certainly should be a good deer round at modest distances.

The round (long before AAC came into the picture) was designed around the shorter barrels, so there is so very little to gain by going with a longer barrel. SBR'ing a lower would be fantastic.

Since they are supposed to suppress so well, that is the direction I am taking with mine. I have some 208gr lead/powder coated subsonics inbound as I type this. I expect the solid lead to perform better than bonded jacketed at the lower velocity the subs will be traveling.

I am curious at the POA/POI shift when going from subsonic to supersonic (or vice versa). I'm hoping that both will be within 8 inches of each other (deer heart shot) so I don't have to rezero my scope so often, but I seriously have no idea yet. That is something that I will be doing some testing with.

OK by me Oli. I'm wanting something that's going to deform easily. Especially at low velocity. Much for the same reasoning behind your pistol loads you've been testing with your 556 upper.

You're looking for the most efficient projo as you can find for that particular setup.

OK by me Oli. I'm wanting something that's going to deform easily. Especially at low velocity. Much for the same reasoning behind your pistol loads you've been testing with your 556 upper.

You're looking for the most efficient projo as you can find for that particular setup.
no, I mean you can literally break the cartridge in half with your bare hands if you try like you mean it

The subs are so long , they are about at the 50% of the cartridge length. They are not durable. I can take a bullet out shoving my thumb in the joint while pulling back with the index fingers of both hands a couple times to get it loose . I did a Silver State of a buddies just to prove I could do it......

John, that's exactly why the thread was titled that way. :D

Got the lower done this evening with the exception of the take down / pivot pins and buffer setup which I'm waiting on. Gotta go by the hardware store tomorrow and grab a 1/4 clevis pin for the pivot pin install. I cleaned up the PSA trigger a bit, without monkeying with the engagement surfaces, and I'm happy to say it feels pretty good. Still mil spec weight, but the grittiness is gone, and the PSA seems to have less creep than most I've dealt with.

IsIjS9c.jpg

^^Your post is misleading, they are arguing against using subsonic ammo for hunting, not the cartridge itself, which I fully agree with. Why anyone would run subs for hunting is beyond me. For varmint / pest control sure, but for humane kills on game and putting meat on the table it's supers all the way.

Whoops... I did not mean to mislead. I meant to say "using subsonic .300blk for hunting."
Thanx for point that out. I'll edit the post.

No worries. I still think as others here have mentioned in other posts, you need to be aware of the capabilities of the round even in supersonic rounds, a .308 it is not, but I never expected it to be. Hell, I have to buy a shot over 150yds anywhere around here, with most deer taken at 50yds and less. Inside 200yds, possibly out to 300yds, the supers are a nasty little round.

Most of my hunting distances are within 50 yards. At that close a distance, I'd be comfortable with sub or super. If I can kill something with an arrow moving 300 feet per second, a 220 gr bullet moving at 1000+ fps is going to kill something just as dead.

Lots of guys in Texas and the deep south use subs on hogs, which are a lot tougher skinned than our whitetails.

all about placement and not having any fantasies about what your shooting.....2XXgr at a 1000fps isnt that high in the energy department for a hunting gun though ....... As far as hunting quiet , who cares this isn't Scotland.....throw 110 Barns in that thing and damn the neighbors

I'm with oli. I mean no disrespect John, but an arrow and a bullet kill in entirely different ways so it's really not a good comparison. Besides, if it's gun season, why handicap yourself? The Texas / deep south hog guys are also leaving them laying as they're a huge pest / nuisance problem in those parts, and they usually state that in the videos you see. I'm after meat, and anything I can do to help my odds of a quick humane kill that I'm going to take home to put in the freezer I'm going to do. Taking a chance on an inferior round that allows an animal to wander off wounded and not be retrieved isn't how I was taught growing up, so no way I'll be going that route.

No disrespect or apologies are necessary. I'm not advocating that everyone or even anyone does. Especially for all circumstances and within reason.

But if I can't depend on a 200 gr subsonic to get enough penetration to reach vitals at 23 yards or so where I set up on a deer, relying on it to get good penetration for HD would be unwise for 2 legged vermin as well.

As a sidenote, I have 230 gr pills in my 45, and they're under 1000 fps. I think a 45 would also reach heart/lungs at 20 yards. Not that I'm going to deer hunt with a 45, but just trying to compare.

Again, at the distances that I hunt, I do think it would be OK. Especially with good placement and a decent broadside shot. But I understand how/why it wouldn't be for everybody.

Though I already mentioned that I'd likely be using 110 supers for deer.

Probably.

Maybe???

you both have great points.

JA, I know what your saying, you could do it all with a CCI Mini Mag

WNC is 100% spot on with the hit them as hard as you can ......if a mini mag is as hard as you can at a given moment then it will do

The big appeal to me in the 300 would be a hunting platform just a dog hair thick brush gun short and loud .......well 300 isnt that loud even with supers .

They both got their place, that's for sure. More parts arriving today and I'll update the thread with some new pics.

Back