• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Fade to BLK

Got some more stuff in yesterday. My complete upper, my muzzle brake, and KAK shockwave pistol buffer tube and pistol brace, and 250rds of ammo. End plate and castle nut should be here today and she'll be done until I decide on an optic.

4E1rd1r.jpg

Using the clevis pin trick to install the pivot pin spring and detent, worked like a champ. You simply line up a hole in the pin with the hole in the receiver, drop the pin and spring in, then use a punch to push them both down and rotate until the pin holds them in place, easy peasy.

dlgI4QS.jpg

Then just butt the pivot pin up and slide through and rotate until the detent catches in the notch.

jw56cch.jpg

Also installed a 5 slot keymod rail section, and cut down an extra LaRue tactical hand stop to fit as well as installed my brake.

7N77lRp.jpg

Well, she's finished, for now. Stole my Aimpoint off my 16" (it has BUIS) until I decide on an optic. I also broke out the camera gear and tried to get creative, or failed miserably, not sure which. Dawned on me I hadn't posted any specs either. It's more or less an all Palmetto State Armory (PSA) build.

Lower Receiver

PSA 7075 T6 blem mil spec forged receiver
PSA Classic Lower Parts Kit (bolt release, mag release, FCG)
PSA carbine buffer and spring
Magpul MOE grip and trigger guard
KAK shockwave pistol buffer tube
KAK shockwave pistol brace
Noveske QD end plate
ATI castle nut

Upper

PSA forged 7075-T6 A3 upper
PSA 8.5" Nitride 4150V barrel 1:8 twist in .300blk
PSA Bolt: Full-auto profile bolt carrier group. Milspec Carpenter No. 158 steel bolt, Shot Peened, High pressure tested, Mag particle inspected, Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications, Fastened with Grade 8 screws, and Staked Per Mil-Spec. 8620 steel M-16 profile carrier chrome lined and phosphate coated.
PSA Keymod 7” free float handguard
LaRue tactical hand stop
Simple Threaded Devices CRD

xSRaY64.jpg

Last edited:
Dang dude.

She looks sweet.

Took the new AR pistol out Saturday and got it zeroed. This was my 25yd target, shooting with an Aimpoint PRO. I can't wait to get a scope on it and stretch it out and see what it's really capable of. Also, the .300blk is really fun to shoot. The 5.56 smacks the steel, the .300 bitch slaps it. :D

AYyTJWV.jpg

looks like its shaping up to be 3-4 moa......average to good for a 300 in a gas gun

If mine groups that well, I'll be more than content. Especially since it will rarely get to stretch out much anyway.

Give me that good of accuracy as you're getting from 0-75 yards and I'll be more than satisfied. That's food on the table in any zip code.

Thanks fellas, I'm more than happy with it, and on the same train of thought as you are John. Should be ordering my scope in the next few weeks, then I can re test at 50, 100, and 200yds hopefully. Also, forgot to include the ammo I was using for you guys.

Magtech 300BLKB
Projectile: 123 gr. FMJ
B.C: .33
M.V: 2230
Test Barrel: 16"

If mine groups that well, I'll be more than content. Especially since it will rarely get to stretch out much anyway.

Give me that good of accuracy as you're getting from 0-75 yards and I'll be more than satisfied. That's food on the table in any zip code.
well any zip code that count anyway......nothing like the desert to make 100 yards feel like 10 feet lol

Thanks fellas, I'm more than happy with it, and on the same train of thought as you are John. Should be ordering my scope in the next few weeks, then I can re test at 50, 100, and 200yds hopefully. Also, forgot to include the ammo I was using for you guys.

Magtech 300BLKB
Projectile: 123 gr. FMJ
B.C: .33
M.V: 2230
Test Barrel: 16"
it will be interesting

Now, on paper and by math you are looking at just under 4 moa or so

when you stretch it out , we will see the effects of the shooter more at 100 and then the environment and the shooter at 200.

it is always interesting because more times than not the group will open for one of these reasons. I have seen the opposite as well.

I once beat my head on the wall because I was shooting 1moa at 100Y with 55gr fmj and could not top it with any loading of match ammo I could dream up with components on hand.

I figured the group would open as I moved out, like usual.
Around 300 yards the group stayed the same and I was now technically grouping better at distance......reason being the 77/69gr match were masterful at fighting the environment , wind and temp

Hmmmm, never thought about the environment part oli. I just recently found a place (privately owned) to shoot further than 100yds, which is all our public ranges have around here distance wise. I'm no master shooter by any means, but I am pretty consistent. I shot roughly the same groups with my 16" 5.56 and my friends AK, both with iron sights.

I shot roughly the same groups with my 16" 5.56 and my friends AK, both with iron sights.
stop right there .....lol......when you do it, bag your gun.
No one is a master, I am not by any stretch of the word but grouping the AR as good as the AK ?.....dude.....sumthin wrong with your finger ?

My AK (especially the one with the worst reputation for being junk) shoots really darn good. And almost as good as the SKS, which is milled and has a 20 inch barrel. I can ring steel with either of them very easily, off hand.

If any gun I have in my hand will consistently hit inside a couple of inches, I slap it and call it good.

While I strive for nothing less than perfection, I have came to realize that putting a bullet roughly where I'm aiming, is normally good enough. At least for the majority of the shooting that I do.

I used to do a lot of shooting from a rest, but the last couple of years, I've gotten away from that considerably. Unless I am zero'ing.

Although I admit that I never gotten near the distance that you often do, and I understand hitting a 12 inch plate at 500 yards is a lot different than hitting a 12 inch plate at 100.

Just that my style of shooting has changed many different times over the years. Some days I want to shoot an old single action revolver or single shot shotgun, the very next day, I may want to punch tiny little ragged holes, other days I just want to go after multiple targets as brutally fast as I can, others I teach dirt clogs how to fly or see how big of a splash I can make in a mudhole.

I suppose I have diversified a lot over the years.

me too....I think the funnest shooting doesn't involve groups at all

but I like to know if I need to shoot super tight , I can and know what ammo to grab for what gun.

I mean if I need to plug an ear hole , I want to be able to without question, only failure can be my own not my ammo and rifle.

Since I reload I have all the means necessary to work out a load for every firearm I own, I consider myself negligent if I do not.......and I probably will never get them all done but I work on hunting and defensive guns.

I respect everyone's standards because those are personal and fit from head to toe

For me , if I get a gun that shoots 2" I am happy, but only because it is going to be less work to cut that group in half.
If I can cut that group in half, you better bet I am going to try to cut that group in half.....that is just me, I totally see where you are coming from and see how it serves just fine.

For me when I get a 2 inch group I just think damn at best that is 4 inches at 400.....but most likely 8 inches in reality considering wind, slope
Now in real life if I need a vitals shot at 300 yards where 3 or 4 inches means all the world and I think I can get them in 6"......that is too much of a gamble for me.... I got to cut that down if I can.
If that means the reloading bench and the shooting bench till I do than cool, if that means trigger time and technique then practice it is......sometimes it puts me on top of the world, sometimes the dumps.......its like drugs I guess

Last edited:
I agree buddy. I feel the same way. When I want precise, I want to know the gun will do it. I want to know the ammo will do it. And I want to know I can do it.

But I don't get those long shots like you do, so my needs are a lot more relaxed than yours. Though to put a bullet exactly where you want it, still takes a lot of work to get to that point. Even at reduced distances.

Hunting wise, in all reality, there is a lot of things that are more difficult up close than at a distance. Movement, sound, wind, and knowing WHEN to do everything you need to do and then actually doing it.

There is nothing simple at either end of the spectrum you're on. Just honing skills that each of us needs for the world we live in.

But I guess is starting to hijack motards thread.

stop right there .....lol......when you do it, bag your gun.
No one is a master, I am not by any stretch of the word but grouping the AR as good as the AK ?.....dude.....sumthin wrong with your finger ?

LOL, oli, it was only 25yds, at longer ranges I'm sure the differences will come out of the woodwork. Not sure I understand the bag the gun comment? And I'm assuming you're saying the AR is more accurate, at least all my research says so, never spent any time with the AK platform so I have no firsthand experience to go off of. His is an American made milled AK if that matters.

And as far as hijacking my thread goes, nah, not at all. It's a gun forum, and it's gun talk, so it's all good John. Besides, both you guys are very knowledgeable, and thanks to my Grandad I learned a long time ago that you learn more with your ears open and mouth shut than vice versa. So I just sit back and read, and soak up all the knowledge I can like a sponge, and I enjoy reading the posts, so keep 'em coming by all means.

well I am a firm believer that if you really really want to see what the gun is about you should do all you can to take yourself out of the equation.

first a super sturdy base, if you cant find an almost stationary bench or something immovable preferably then the ground.

then something to rest the gun on, sand bags are ideal. They are heavy and you can move the sand around to bring the sights on target perfect with no input from your body. This is especially important for the rear of the rifle and if you get set up just right you do all your adjustments from the rear bag.

then concentrate on influencing the gun as little as possible ......your cheek, you grip, your trigger pull, recoil anticipation even from bags will kill serious group work

The idea is to remove yourself from the equation as much as possible.

once you are convinced you are doing that then you can evaluate your ammo and firearms accuracy buy shooting groups of zen like concentration, beginning at 5 shot groups, if you have big balls you shoot 10 shot groups and are respected in all groups , circles, clicks in every continent.
then comes the rituals, people like @Water Monkey smoke a cig and clean the bore between every shot.....I might wait long enough to remember to shoot between breaths...all in what you want to know about your gun........want to know about yourself, throw all that shit out, stand up and shoot your rifle off hand, start perfecting the Texas Heart Shot

be it a 300blk pistol or a 6mm Dasher

I don't smoke. I write haiku between shots.

Strippers hate pennies
Don't make a ho a housewife
Keepin it gangsta

Boom... Cloverleaf.

Look I can tag homies too @oli700

Back