• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Feel good hunt story.

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
I enjoyed reading this i think this young man may actually get it. Not sure if he knew he x marked a bucket list item many hunters have tryed and not accomplished. I know ive been trying spot and stalk a buck with bow oh maybe 30 years ? Ive killed does on the ground with bow but yet to take a buck that way. Anyhow i hope you enjoy story.
Levi Powell | Washington
10-deer-of-year-levi-powell-buck.jpg

Levi Powell, 10, used his lucky arrow to take this blacktail on the last day of the Washington season.

Levi Powell

It was the last day of hunting season, and I was determined to shoot my first deer with my new compound bow. My dad and I had been hunting all day with no luck. It was now approaching late afternoon, and if it got dark, we would be finished, and all that practicing would have been for nothing.

We were in the middle of our property surrounded by huge trees and lots of ferns when my dad suggested that we sit by a tree for a while. We were soaked, exhausted, and feeling down. My dad was halfway up to a big branch when I glimpsed the back end of a deer. We had a chance. I reached up and tapped my dad and pointed.

“If you have a shot, take it,” he said.

I started to creep toward the deer, about one step every 10 seconds. The deer started moving around the tree and to the left. My heart was freaking out when I saw that it was a buck. At that point I would have had a 25-yard shot. Suddenly it turned toward me and walked to about 10 steps—still not seeing me. I saw it was my chance. I was shaking all over. I loaded my lucky arrow (the one I’d shot a rabbit with on Christmas day), took a deep breath and let it out slowly. I pulled back the string as the excitement went through me. I put the sight on the deer’s lungs and heart and let the arrow fly. The deer looked up as the arrow seemed to go in slow motion. I prayed a simple prayer, God, help me.

I heard a big thwump sound as the arrow hit the deer just beside the shoulder. The deer stood in shock for a few seconds, then went flying down the hill with the arrow sticking out of his side. I whooped, jumping up and down. My dad and I gave each other a huge hug.

We found the buck by a stream. It was a gorgeous 2 x 2 buck, big and plump. Together we gutted that buck and dragged it all the way back home.

We were beginner hunters, my dad and I. I had just turned 10 and was really excited to kill the first deer in the family. We mounted the antlers, and I was happy that I could provide the family with deer sausage and burger all year long.

Spot and stalk is tough, esp when trying to get into bow range.

I hope this thread comes up in a google search and you get to read the replies.

Awesome job MR. Levi Powell.

What you and your father accomplished was no small feat.

Sounds like you did a lot of things right, and I'm proud that you gave God the credit.

Congratulations.

Back