• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Finally shot some high-brass through my 590

BigFatGuy

.270 WIN
I wanted to see what it felt like before I installed my new Akita stock, so I'd have a basis for comparison. Up til now, I've just used it on the skeet range.

For a first time, not too bad... although I clearly need practice. ;-)

10 rnds of Rio 00 Buck at 40-45 feet
00buck.jpg

5 rnds of Centurion Slugs at 40-45 feet, aimed very carefully (bead sights are hard...)
aimedslug.jpg

5 rnds of Centurion Slugs at 40-45 feet, with the shotgun "pointed" (as one would on a skeet range) rather then "aimed" and fired more rapidly.
rapidslug.jpg

What is an Akita stock? Does it have a big sissy pad or some kind of recoil reduction spring? Got a pic? Nice slug work you did.

The neat thing about the rifled slugs... it's really clear what holes are slug and what holes are wad... the holes are actually die-cut with a toothed edge. ;-)

Thanks. It's good to have some confidence that I could use my shotgun in a defensive situation without putting my neighbors in danger...

One thing I am wondering... how good of a shot should i be before I start thinking about hunting? (With a guide at first, natch.) I'm a big animal lover, so I'd really have a hard time forgiving myself if I made an animal suffer needlessly...

If you want to hunt birds, than I would suggest that you spend some time on the skeet field and even maybe a little sporting clays. Both games are fun and get you to follow through with each shot. Bird hunting is my favorite!

If you are gonna go hunting with slugs (Venison...YUMMMM) then I would perfect my slug shooting skills out to 100 yards. Not that you will need a shot that long but just in case you do then you know that you have the skill to do it.

I practice shooting slugs at a 12" steel plate at 100 yds at my club. Oh and my 500 LOVES Centurion slugs.

Cool stock that is also different. Thx for the link. I would say 100 yrd profeciency is a great rule of thumb.

100 yards... almost 10 times further then I just shot today...

I guess the deer are safe for a year or so. ;-)

:lol: Theyre safe for now, but you can come along quickly!

You'll begin to see your gun throwing rounds to one side or being high or low when you know you aimed properly and sighted on target. When you see a discernible pattern, then correct your aim to compensate for how much you were off and see if you group any better on the bull. go out to 25 yards and see what you can do!

If you can go to a shotgun range where you can shoot hand thrown clays, that works too! A box of clays is like $10. Grab a few or several boxes of shells, abox of clays and a buddy or a kid! Makes a great day!

Glad to hear youre diggin the gun!

Just a wee bit of clarification of what I was thinking. I meant that if you can hit your target up to 100 yards and every distance between there you should be good to go with slugs and a non slug barrel. The accuracy drift shooting thru a smooth bore past 100 yards is my limit if I were to hunt.

BFG;

Nice shooting...
Let us know how the new stock is. (I'm wanting to change my stock for a shorter LOP, and I love the Limbsaver I have on the stock one...)

Lateck,

LTB45 said:
If you want to hunt birds, than I would suggest that you spend some time on the skeet field .

I love skeet shooting, but my only dog is a retarded cocker spaniel who goes ape-crazy if she hears gun shots in a video game or on tv. ;-)

I'm thinking venison...

lateck said:
BFG;

Nice shooting...
Let us know how the new stock is. (I'm wanting to change my stock for a shorter LOP, and I love the Limbsaver I have on the stock one...)

Lateck,

I got it installed this afternoon. Not to hard, although I did end up re-using the native mossberg bolt instead of the one that came with the stock. The new bolt didn't have a slot for a screwdriver, and the angle of the bolt makes it too hard to use a socket extension to drive it home.

it took a bit of whacking to make it seat nicely, but it's in there nice and sturdy now.

Comfy, nice cheekrest, feels sturdy.

I did note that the profile (or the cross-section) of the buttpad does not match the mossberg, so I suspect any limbsaver pad addition would be a somewhat custom job.

My one complaint, when you make adjustments to the system it just feels clunky and not-smooth. Moving the cheekrest is downright annoying, and it's very tough to adjust the stock to one of the positions in the middle of it's movement (where you can't just whack it into place like you can at the far ends.

I'll try the pad out tomorrow at skeet if it doesn't rain (or maybe even if it does).

took it on the skeet field, shot almost 100 rounds. The pad is very comfortable. I'll try to test it with high brass next week, but my shoulder is much happier then it was last time.

The textured grip is very aggressive, my hands are going to have to man up a bit.

Something in the curve of the grip fits my big-ass hands better then stock, I had much less trouble releasing the action when I take my finger off the trigger.

I'm very pleased so far.

Just an update: I finally had a chance to fire slugs and buckshot through my shotgun with the new ATI Akita stock on it.

MUCH nicer! Compared to my stock Maverick 88, the Mexi-Mossberg felt like getting hit in the shoulder with a hammer. There is still some impact from the round (of course), but it's much more comfortable. My wife agrees.

The only problem, I forgot that my wife had adjusted the stock to the shortest position, and when I fired the first slug I punched myself in the nose.

Back