• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Firearms and Military - Historical Interest

Interesting thread. Had an uncle who served on HMNZS Achilles, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMNZS_Achilles_(70) from the start during the battle of the river Plate and on through the Pacific along side those ships of the USN. In addition family land was used as part of the training grounds for USMC troops while they staged here in New Zealand before going up to the hell that was the Pacific theater, it was a pleasure to let them have a small taste of home before their lives changed forever. Also have connection in that the land I currently work on was part of the training grounds for the troops who were camped near Auckland, again before embarking for battle, if anyone has a connection and wants current photos of sites they or their family may have a link to in the area surrounding Auckland please feel free to drop us a note and we will see what we can do for you.

Merv.

Huntallyeardownhere said:
Interesting thread. Had an uncle who served on HMNZS Achilles, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMNZS_Achilles_(70) from the start during the battle of the river Plate and on through the Pacific along side those ships of the USN. In addition family land was used as part of the training grounds for USMC troops while they staged here in New Zealand before going up to the hell that was the Pacific theater, it was a pleasure to let them have a small taste of home before their lives changed forever. Also have connection in that the land I currently work on was part of the training grounds for the troops who were camped near Auckland, again before embarking for battle, if anyone has a connection and wants current photos of sites they or their family may have a link to in the area surrounding Auckland please feel free to drop us a note and we will see what we can do for you.

Merv.

I had an uncle who may have spent some time there before the Okinawa invasion. Not sure tho. Dale Henz. Would have been a Cpl (USMC) at the time. He made a career in the Corps and eventually retired as a SgtMaj after 30 years.

I'd kinda thought this thread had passed into digital history, but was glad to see it hadn't. Thanks Merv.

I ran across an old book written by one of my ancestors a few weeks ago and meant to post it but it slipped my mind. Merv's post jogged my memory.

Anyway, it's not purely military, but it is historical and has some military and firearms content, so maybe it will be of interest to y'all.

History of the Town of Weston, Massachusetts, 1630-1890. Written by Col Daniel Lamson and published 1919. He fought for the North in the Civil War, and much of the later chapters in the book is his own personal history. Contains lists of men who enlisted, where they fought, etc.

Download: http://archive.org/details/historyoftownofw00lamso

Col Lamson Portrait
ColDanielLamson.jpg

Table of Contents

historyofwestontoc.jpg

Back