• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Firearms and Military - Historical Interest

Tim4k5 said:
old mossy said:
Tim4k5 said:
Nice pic Mossy. Is that an A-1 you are about to step into? Or is that a T-6?

A1D,,,,fitted side by side.

Nice.....The Sandy is definitely one of my favorite planes, so completely out of place and outdated but by far the best tool for the job. Two thumbs up for your service!

Thanks for sharing Oli.....thats good stuff

the Navy and Marines have been using them forever. i was on a carrier,USS America CVA-66.
was asst.catapult capt.(cat 4) and i got a chance to be shot off my cat. heres an early pic when i was a bridle hookup man.thats me in the middle on the run. now i know why i wear hearing aids. :lol:

Attachments

• october_'67.jpg
    october_'67.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 269
I used to work with a guy that had spent about 15 years as a flight line mechanic on B-52's......He had nearly perfect hearing with his hearing aides in but when he took them out you could have shot a 12ga off his shoulder without him flinching.

Tim4k5 said:
I used to work with a guy that had spent about 15 years as a flight line mechanic on B-52's......He had nearly perfect hearing with his hearing aides in but when he took them out you could have shot a 12ga off his shoulder without him flinching.

huh? :)

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Their sacrifices will never be in vein as long as there are those to honor their memories...

Uncle Carl was one of the survivors of the Chosin Reservoir ...it was a very big deal at his Marine sevice when he passed in 96

"The fighting at the Chosin Reservoir was the most violent small unit fighting in the history of American warfare. No other operation in the American book of war quite compares with the show [the battle of the Chosin Reservoir] by the First Marine Division [and attached U.S. Army and British Royal Marines]."
General S.L.A. Marshall, Prominent Army Historian of the Twentieth Century

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amgLyiXEahI[/youtube]

oli700 said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Their sacrifices will never be in vein as long as there are those to honor their memories...

Uncle Carl was one of the survivors of the Chosin Reservoir ...it was a very big deal at his Marine sevice when he passed in 96

"The fighting at the Chosin Reservoir was the most violent small unit fighting in the history of American warfare. No other operation in the American book of war quite compares with the show [the battle of the Chosin Reservoir] by the First Marine Division [and attached U.S. Army and British Royal Marines]."

Oli,you know whats great,,,the fact that you remember and honor your uncle carl and his heroic deeds and don't let them die with you. we all need to pass them on and teach the new generation about what makes this country so great. that's what my dad taught me and i hope to pass on to my grandchildren. all this bs about "it's a different world now" i say bull shit.it's still our great country and they need to know.period.
sorry for the rant.

oli700 said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

I can't even begin to imagine the kind of hell those men fought through to come out of there.

Your uncle must have been one helluva man oli. I would have been honored to know him. God bless him and all that fought with him...

OM
LES, yes.....and a gentleman to boot....all us kids would crawl on him and he loved it, quiet and gentile around the family....he was a family man. I heard most about his stories from my Grandpa

oli700 said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Small world :) . I also have an uncle that was there. Jim Evans, also 1stMarDiv. Caught a bullet, but survived. Married the nurse he had after evac. He's in his 80's now. Deaf as a post, but otherwise still in pretty good health. Saw him last year when I went up to WA to visit him and other relatives.

Very nice Gene...The Chosin Few.....He might have been at my Uncles service. It was in San Diego and most of the survivors were there........sadly there weren’t many

oli700 said:
Very nice Gene...The Chosin Few.....He might have been at my Uncles service. It was in San Diego and most of the survivors were there........sadly there weren’t many

Ya' know I seem to recall him mentioning a trip to SD back around then. So he may very well have been there. I know he went to several reunions. They may have even known each other. Wow!

I think I mentioned in another thread that I had a Samurai that was captured by another Uncle on Okinawa. That was Jim's older brother. He also went to Korea, but in another unit. I think he was in the Inchon landing, but not sure.

Like many, my family military history goes waaaay back. All the way to before the Revolution in fact. First mention of my family name in the Colonies was 1634 in Ipswich, Mass. Still a hill (and a street ) there named after him - Lamson. You can read about us here, up to 1917: http://archive.org/details/descendantsofwil00lams. And a Autobiography of Capt Zachary Lamson here: http://ia600409.us.archive.org/6/items/ ... 00lams.pdf There are some first hand accounts of encounters with pirates and such in the diary towards the last half of the book. Pretty fun read actually. :)

Oorah gunny! Awesome pics. My father was navy as well, a corpsman then went nurse corps. I followed in his footsteps as I'm a corpsman now. Thanks for sharing those!

Here's some pics of my time in Afghanistan
These pics are from life magazine.
I was at the khandahar role 3. The busiest hospital. I'm the one in the ambulance helping the guy down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 216
Thanks for sharing the photos Doc.

That's a helluva great thing you're doing out there. We certainly appreciate your service Sir...

The1CalledDoc said:
Here's some pics of my time in Afghanistan
These pics are from life magazine.
I was at the khandahar role 3. The busiest hospital. I'm the one in the ambulance helping the guy down.

When I went thru Infantry Training at Pendleton in '63, we had several Navy Corpsmen attached to our platoon that trained right along with us. Including live fire and bunkered explosives while crawling under tanglefoot and concertina wire. These guys were really motivated.

I've always had a lot of respect for medics. Above and beyond. Great big brass ones. My sincere thanks on behalf of anyone who has ever needed you. :)

What an amazing thread. I cant get enough of the old military pics. Thank you all for your service and sharing these pictures.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

Sfd714 said:
What an amazing thread. I cant get enough of the old military pics. Thank you all for your service and sharing these pictures.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

Here's a couple more for you then. :D

Refueling Blue Angels in '72 Okinawa when I was crewing on a C-130 (VMGR152).

blueangelsrefuel.jpg

152line.jpg

Some old pics of Col Greg "Pappy" Boyington of Black Sheep (VMA-214) fame. Met him once at a book signing. Pics are from his book. Good read.

blacksheep1.jpg

blacksheep2.jpg

Nice shot of VMA-211 (Wake Island Avengers) A4-M's on Transpac in '79. The maint. crew (including me) spent a whole lot of time in a C-130 island hopping across the Pacific. The stop at Wake was fun: Buzzed the tower (unrestricted airspace) and did things with a 130 I didn't think was possible. Spent a week there. A couple guys found a .30 water cooled half buried in the sand, left over from WWII, which they cleaned up and presented to the skipper. Lots of WWII history there, including a number of Jap compounds, artillery emplacements, etc. Great diving also. And really, really big Moray eels!

vma211transpac2.jpg

Gunny,

Again awesome pics. The old blue angels are my favorite. My father was navy and every year the blue angels came to our state he would always take me. Brings back some great memories. I took my wife to see them when they were here at Andrews Air Force base and she became a fan 2. Oorah gunny and keep the pics coming.

Back