• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Firearms and Military - Historical Interest

Some pics taken during the Sino-Japanese Hostilities, 1937, are here: http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j155/ ... stilities/ .

I'm not going to post the pics themselves because a few are pretty gruesome, and I'd rather not upset anyone. View with that in mind, please.

I'm making these available for a reason. I read many posts on a variety of blogs and news sites where some people dare the Govt to try to take their guns away, etc. I want those people to know what they may be asking for. Some of us have seen similar things in real life, and know what it's about, but many don't.

Here's all that I have of my grandfathers time in the Army during WWI. He was in the trenches over there. A cigarette case and matchbox holder.

GrampaEvansWWI.jpg

Gunny,

Great pics you linked. Sure didnt see anything like those in the history books. Thanks for sharing. Maybe if kids saw these types of pictures, they wouldn't be into those first person shooter video games?

Frank

Frank, I forgot to mention that many of these pics were taken by my father. These are originals in my possession. And yes, video games, movies, etc. are fantasy. You can almost smell these images.

GunnyGene said:
Some pics taken during the Sino-Japanese Hostilities, 1937, are here: http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j155/ ... stilities/ .

I'm not going to post the pics themselves because a few are pretty gruesome, and I'd rather not upset anyone. View with that in mind, please.

I'm making these available for a reason. I read many posts on a variety of blogs and news sites where some people dare the Govt to try to take their guns away, etc. I want those people to know what they may be asking for. Some of us have seen similar things in real life, and know what it's about, but many don't.

Here's all that I have of my grandfathers time in the Army during WWI. He was in the trenches over there. A cigarette case and matchbox holder.

GrampaEvansWWI.jpg

Very true.

I was only 8 when this pic was taken, and not in Alaska then. My father had hunted bear up there a couple times in the early 50's tho and he used a .30-06. Bagged one polar bear and one kodiak brown on different trips. Usually went out with 4 or 5 other people. He told me about it years later. Said the polar bear took 7 shots from 2 shooters to bring it down and it stopped about 30 feet from him. I'd have filled my drawers for sure!

GunnyGene said:
I was only 8 when this pic was taken, and not in Alaska then. My father had hunted bear up there a couple times in the early 50's tho and he used a .30-06. Bagged one polar bear and one kodiak brown on different trips. Usually went out with 4 or 5 other people. He told me about it years later. Said the polar bear took 7 shots from 2 shooters to bring it down and it stopped about 30 feet from him. I'd have filled my drawers for sure!
The time I spent up there I have to say that the -06 is still the most popular. I asked every local willing to tell what they used for what and the overwhelming answer was 30-06…….I was actually surprised, I expected to hear all the big belted case magnum rounds but they were few and far between for the locals…..makes me feel good about never wavering from my old trusty -06

great picture none the less......and yes the drawers would be full. Bears and cougars make my hair stand on end I dont care what I'm armed with lol

Also the first time I respected the 10mm auto. This guy shot a mom and calf moose in his yard dead with a Glock 20 for kicking his dog around. The state police were there said it really wasn’t to uncommon around there and it wasn’t the first time he has seen moose killed in peoples yards with a 10mm…..I had to have one some day lol

Boot camp MCRD San Diego, 1963. Stack arms. How many of y'all know what a stacking swivel is? ;) And Camp Matthews on the range. Check out all those Garands :)

boot4.jpg

Whole lotta firepower!

boot1.jpg

I'll have to try and find some pics of my Dad and his time in the Army, and the pictures of me aren't really historic... Great thread, I'm excited to see some more stuff!

Just to show that military service is not all blood and guts. These are some pics from MCAS Iwakuni in '72. Some from an airshow I worked, and various other stuff. All taken with a 35mm Nikon. The dog's name was Gizmo. Shared a bottle of cheap Saki with him one evening. One night shot of the ramp. The Phantom is a photo bird.

iwakuni3.jpg

iwakuni2.jpg

iwakuni1.jpg

today,1945 marines landed on Iwo Jima.
my dad landed first wave,beach blue 2,right blue. 1st battalion,A company,25th regiment,4th division.
semper fi dad.

Attachments

• iwo1945.jpg
    iwo1945.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 266
Awesome pics Gunny!!

Thanks for sharing that pic and info Mossy. My Grandfather was at Iwo Jima as well, except he was on a Fletcher Class Destroyer providing fire support covering the invasion.

Here's a pic of my Grandfather, still young and smiling before the War......
163372_3770148350973_617484513_n.jpg

And here's a pic of the ship he served on, the U.S.S. Heermann.......the only Fletcher Class Destroyer to survive the Battle of Lehti Gulf. Several WW2 era Navy ships had incredible histories during the war, but the Heermann was special by Destroyer standards. I'll never forget listening to my Grandpa talk about going gun-vs-gun with a Japanese Cruiser.....only surviving to talk about it because the Captain of the Heermann had pulled them so close alongside the Cruiser that it couldn't lower its turrets far enough to hit them........

dd532.jpeg

just in case anyone forgot what today is,,,,,,, 68 years ago.

Attachments

• iwo_jima_image.jpg
    iwo_jima_image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 220px-First_Iwo_Jima_Flag_Raising.jpg
    220px-First_Iwo_Jima_Flag_Raising.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 228
A little local history about the participation of Mississippi in the Mexican American war that appeared in today's paper.
l_eb3ha223201385936PM.jpg

Rufus Ward
February 23, 2013 8:59:03 PM

It was 166 years ago this weekend that a die-hard group of Mississippians in red shirts and brandishing Bowie knives changed the course of a battle and history. The Battle of Buena Vista on Feb. 22-23, 1847, sealed the fate of Mexican General Santa Anna's army and ensured a United States victory in the U.S.-Mexican War of 1846-48.

Often the war with Mexico has been perceived as U.S .troops sweeping through Mexico, totally overwhelming the Mexican Army. Such was not the case. Within a mountain pass near the Hacienda Buena Vista Maj. Gen. Zachary Taylor's army of only 500 veteran regulars and 4,759 inexperienced volunteers faced the almost 20,000-man cream of the Mexican Army under Gen. Antonio López de Santa Anna. Gen. Taylor hoped for a miracle to save his army from defeat.

Shortly before, in a case of presidential politics, President James K. Polk had ordered most of Taylor's veteran troops to be transferred to Gen. Winfield Scott's command for a drive on Mexico City. That action may have resulted from President Polk's possible concerns about Taylor's political ambitions. Another major victory could have propelled Taylor into a race for the White House.

At any rate, Taylor faced almost insurmountable odds at Buena Vista. During the battle, many of the inexperienced volunteers did break and flee, allowing the Mexican cavalry to break through the U.S. defensive line. Gen. Taylor ordered the 1st Mississippi Regiment (also called the Mississippi Riflemen) which had been held in reserve to close the breech.

With Col. Jefferson Davis' battle cry of "Stand Fast Mississippians!" they crushed the fearsome Mexican assault and then later charged a much larger Mexican force to help save Illinois and Kentucky troops pinned down in a ravine.

In his official report Gen. Taylor said: "The Mississippi riflemen, under Col. Davis, were highly conspicuous for their gallantry and steadiness, and sustained throughout the engagement the reputation of veteran troops. Brought into action against an immensely superior force, they maintained themselves for a long time unsupported and with heavy loss, and held an important part of the field until reinforced."

There was extensive newspaper coverage of the victory with much praise for what were called "the Gallant Mississippians." The New York Evening Post reported how "the Mississippians, the (earlier) heroes of Monterey" had "completely repulsed" the enemy.

All of this came to mind yesterday while reading a letter written by Lt. C.H. Mott of the 1st Mississippi Rifles to his father just after the battle had ended. In the letter he wrote: "With mingled feelings of pleasure and pain, joy and sorrow, I hasten to inform you that another great battle has been fought, and the victory is ours. The battle of Buena Vista is probably one of the hardest fought and most sanguinary battles that has ever been fought on the American Continent. It was there we met the best appointed army that Mexico has had, Santa Anna supported by 15 Generals of Distinguished ability, and 20,000 well disciplined and confident soldiers..." The four page letter which described the fighting concludes; "I have just learned that Santa Anna has retreated in haste..."

Santa Anna's defeat doomed the Mexican Army which never recovered while advancing "Old Rough and Ready" Zachary Taylor's political career into the White House the following year.

Among the 10 companies of the 1st Mississippi was Company K, the Tombigbee Volunteers, of Lowndes County who were commanded by captains Alexander McClung and William Rogers and lieutenants William Patterson and William Townsend. That company, however, did not participate in the gallant action of the 1st Mississippi in halting the U.S. retreat in the mountain pass, as they had been detached to guard the army's supply base at Saltillo from an expected Mexican attack.

One's view of history totally changes when, rather than seeing someone's edited version in a book or on television, you hold and read an original first-hand account. All too often the versions of history that we get are tainted by politics or other agenda. The real story of historical events is usually much more complex and interesting than what is provided in school text or popular media.

The 1st Mississippi Rifles survives to this day though now designated as the 155th Infantry Regiment of the Mississippi Army National Guard.

Read more: http://www.cdispatch.com/opinions/artic ... z2Lp1JFa7i

Map of the battle:

Battle_Buena_Vista_map.png

Back