• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First attempt at reloading 223

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Reloaded my first batch of 223 tonight

Reloading223_001_zps3bhyipby.jpg

Reloading223_002_zpslgpuuw8h.jpg

Loaded about 75 rounds. Split the batch between Varget, H335 and IMR4895

Just trying to get a starting point of what powder I like better. It'll probably take several batched to make that conclusion.

Varget - 24gr
H335 - 22.5gr
IMR 4895 - 22.4gr

All rounds got CCI 400 primers, Winchester 64gr PP bullets and had an OAL of 2.26

MikeD~

Those three powders are real good in the .223 and that bullet weight. CONGRATS!!!

I'll be very interested to hear how the IMR 4895 does. Varget has long been a favorite of mine and I've also gone thru a couple pounds of H335 when loading the .223/5.56.... but I have never tried IMR4895 even though I have a few pounds of it for my M1A loads.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

BTW- What is your scale sitting on?

BTW- What is your scale sitting on?

The bench? Years ago a picked up a bunch of steel file cabinetes and a conf room table for free when my company changed office buildings. I ripped the table lengthwise and bolted each half to two cabinetes. makes for nice workbenches with storage.

Enjoy it MikeD. So far I have only loaded 55 grain rounds. For Christmas I got 500 rounds of 62 grain SS109. I'm planning on some with Varget and some with CFE223. It finally got cold here so my winter reloading began last week.

Haha. I forgot the RCBS scales have that foot under them (that white thing). My goof.
Ahh. Its the only scale I've ever used. Don't they all have some kind of foot to center them?

You kinda have a point :)

My Hornady scale has a thumbwheel that turns a bolt out thru the bottom to level it, but no wide foot like yours just the protruding bolt.

My cheapie Lee Safety Scale (a karma gift) is amazingly accurate yet has no leveling adjustment at all.

Then there is an electronic scale or two that obviously don't apply.... <grin>

Back to the topic~~~

I am really excited for you, and hope you have some good first results.

Man, I made one big mistake when I first started loading .223~~

I bought a pound of powder every payday.

A DIFFERENT powder every single time.

Before I knew it I had maybe ten (BL-C2, H335, Varget, 748, Accurate 2230, H322, IMR3031, Reloader 15.....) open bottles laying around my bench.

I couldn't stay with one powder long enough to really develop great loads. I was always starting off on some different recipe whenever I did more .223 'cuz I just had to try that newest powder I had just bought.

Turned out that 24- or 25-grains of just about any one of them was pretty similar and I was just spinning my wheels. I was shooting iron sights and no scoped guns so everything shot close enough compared to the others to satisfy me.

Don't be "that guy" MikeD... ;)

Yeah, the Winchester 64-gr Power Point Soft Point is very well regarded for defensive shoots. *

* - Without barriers.

I've also got a couple hundred Nosler 64gr PPT and a box of Barnes TSX 62gr BT.

Don't be "that guy" MikeD... ;)

I'll try not to. I only have the variety that I do because I have been picking up whatever I can use for .223 I've been finding more stuff for other loads but .223 is still hit or miss.

If you're not trying to shoot benchrest accuracy you will have no problem finding a good load. Im bad about getting wrapped up in tiny groups. Realistically you want something that puts the first shot right where you want it.

I tried the 64 Win PP early on. I didnt find something i liked, Ive not found a good load for 55 gr. soft points either though, like i said i get wrapped up in tight groups. I need to revisit these loads and stick with "practical accuracy". Looking forward to what you come up with. Whats your twist rate?

I tried the 64 Win PP early on. I didnt find something i liked, Ive not found a good load for 55 gr. soft points either though, like i said i get wrapped up in tight groups. I need to revisit these loads and stick with "practical accuracy". Looking forward to what you come up with. Whats your twist rate?
Have you failed to kill with them because I guarantee minute of death ....

Back