• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First impression not good

Dan451

Copper BB
Hey guys,

I am new to owning a shotgun and new to Mossberg as a company. My first impressions have been terrible. I guess I'm just looking for input from this communitty on whether I should cut my losses and try to return my new shotgun or stick with it in trying to get it all sorted out. The details of my problem are chronicled below in my most recent communication to Mossberg.

Hello,

I can not put into words what a terrible first impression your company has made with me.

I purchased a brand new marinecote flex 500 shotgun. The first time I took it out to a range it would not eject the spent shell or load a new one correctly.

I called your service number to address this issue and waited on hold for 20 minutes while constantly hearing a message that said my call should be answered in three minutes. Ultimately, I gave up on speaking to a real person and left my contact info. Hours later someone who I think was named Sandy called me back. She explained this was a very frequent problem. I find it troubling you would ship items that frequently have such a major malfunction. In any case, she gave me her email address and told me to email her my contact information and serial number. I did that with a request she email me back confirming she got the email. I did not receive an email back. The next day I again sent an email checking to see if my parts were on the way. No response.

On Oct 29 I called back. I spoke to another woman who said nothing had been done but she would take my information and make sure the parts were in the mail that day or by the following Monday at the latest. She said it would take 5 to 7 days.

On Nov 12 i still had not received my parts so I called again. I was told that my parts had never been shipped. I then spoke to a supervisor who said he would ship the parts out with two day mail. He stated he would take care of it personally and call me once the tracking number had been generated. He promised me I would have them by Nov 16. I have not heard anything.

Can you tell me if my parts have shipped? If so what us the tracking number and when will they arrive?

As is true of most first time shotgun buyers I struggled between buying a Mossberg or Remington. I am a police officer and asking several swat members found the opinnions to be pretty evenly split. I went with your company because you had the finish I wanted. After relaying this story to the ones that endorsed your company they were shocked to say the least.

Your advertising makes a big deal about your reliability. I really haven't experienced that from your product or your company.

Sadly, this happens with Mossberg on occasion. Their customer service is sub par at best. The Mossberg is generally a good product, reliable and fully functioning. No way I'd trade one for a Remington. We have a contact name I'll find and add here in a moment.

If you can get conformation that things are being take care of properly, I'd stick with it.

Sorry to see you're going through this.

Mr. Zakher is a good friend of the forum and has straightened out issues like this countless times for our members. He'll get your issue sorted out. Please keep us posted....

Sorry to see you're going through this.

Mr. Zakher is a good friend of the forum and has straightened out issues like this countless times for our members. He'll get your issue sorted out. Please keep us posted....

I hope Mr Zakher responds to him. I was given his email on another forum and had some basic questions I sent him and I never heard anything back.. Same from Mossberg general email.

Thanks for the responses. My parts have arrived. It appears they sent me a new cartridge stop and cartridge interrupter. I'm a bit skeptical that is the fix but I'll give it a shot. Thanks again for your help and I'll post a follow up with the results

Hey Dan. Glad you got the parts in. I have a flex as well and had no issues. But apparently after a dozen trips to the range with her, I was having to slam the forend back and forth pretty hard for it to work.
So I contacted Mossberg, and they too send me a cartridge stop and cartridge interupter and it fixed my issues once swapped out and have had no problems since.
I compared the new set and the original set and there was a bit of difference between the two but suddle to say the least, but most importantly she's still working fine with no issues what So ever after the swap.
Hope it works out for you and keep us posted.

Were those two parts finished in Marinecote?

I found this finish to be too rough for the moving parts on my lever gun, and it would hang open.

I polished the snot out of the bolt & certain rubbing surfaces with white scotchbrite & oil. It is working OK now.

Anyhow I think the Marinecote is much thicker and rougher than blueing, and the buildup and roughness causes friction issues.

I've also put 80+ rounds through the gun, but the polishing was 99% of the help it needed.

Love me my old Mossbergs, but my gun dealer confirmed years ago what I've believed for more than a few years. Quality control ain't what it used to be. He was saying that a 500 or Rem 870 sold new never came back with a problem back in the day, but it's not uncommon in recent years.. Same with S&W. It's probably a combination of out-sourced parts and the ramping up of the gun industry in the last 7 years. Time is money and all that. You either get lucky with a new gun or...................Ruger SR45, bought new-back to the factory 3 times.....S&W SD9-absolute piece of crap. Striker broke twice in 3 months. I remember when you bought a gun from Mossberg, Remington, S&W, etc it was good to go from day one. There was no need to polish feed ramps and chambers-it was on go when you loaded it. On the bright side-my Ruger SR9c has thousands of rounds through it and the Ruger LCP is still banging away in Glock-like style. Wish I had the money for all the shells that went trouble-free through my 1985 Mossberg 500A in the last 30 years. Friend of mine bought an 88 last year and has had non-stop issues with extraction and difficult cycling of the bolt. I've taken it down for him and cannot find anything obvious. It's almost like the geometry is incorrect on his 88. It takes too much effort to simply cycle the action. Nothing scraping and everything lubricated.... He has had the extractor/bolt "fixed", the ejector replaced.............

mass production will cause issues. the service will always need work. but firearms will at times need tweaking. even my 72 needed some work. i figured one issue myself. but the other was fixed by folks here. i cannot say enough about the folks here. but i suggest you start reading, reading a lot. amazing how much you can learn here.

Back