• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First time I've ever grabbed a firearm concerned............

Title says all.

Today this afternoon was the first time I've ever grabbed one of my guns with genuine concern someone might be trying to get in.

I was attempting to take a nap when someone inserted a key into my front door and attempted to turn the lock. Being in an apartment I'm used to sometimes the maintenance guys needing to come in to change the air filters or check the smoke detector batteries and or the pest control folks coming in to change the roach traps out. But usually the apt mgmt puts flyers out a few days before that happens and require the maint or pest guys to knock multiple times and announce who they are very loudly before letting themselves in if no one answers the door. Well this time no announcement made and all I hear is someone jiggling the lock so I went into possible oh shit mode.

After a few tries of the lock I heard an unseen person on the other side of the door tell someone else its not opening. Not sure of what was going on I popped out of my bed FAST, grabbed the 500 and asked very loudly who was out there and what their intended business was. I was preparing to take up a defensive position crouched behind the couch when they quickly replied sorry, must have the wrong unit and then I heard footsteps going down the stairs and that was it. After a few minutes I figured it was a false alarm and so Mr. Mossberg went back to guard duty next to the nightstand and I laid back down.

Still though, kinda scary as for a few seconds there I was afraid I might have an intruder on my hands. It happened so fast that I realized if they have in fact meant me harm and busted in there was no time to call 911 and hope for the best. Had I not had something loaded and ready and it wasn't a false alarm I might not be here to type this. Again just glad it wound up being most likely what they said and had the wrong unit but still............

Thats why folks its smart to have something at the ready. You just never know. This was not 3 am either, but just the opposite, 3 in the afternoon.

Re: First time I've ever grabbed a firearm concerned........

Good thing you didn't take Crazy Joe Biden's advise. ;)

Yeah, really. I'm still a little unsettled about this actually. While I like to hope it really was just a mistake and someone was at the wrong unit I still have some doubt. Someone could have been just going around trying to pick locks thinking no one would be home during the day. Most folks work you know normal hours during the day unlike me who works extreme morning hours. Also one huge disadvantage of being in an apartment, your landlord(s) have keys to the door and you can't control if they are careful or not with whom they allow to have access to them.

I'd be hunting for some sort of doorstop device I could wedge in place, while I was home. Take care. Tom Worthington

Maybe something like this:
DoorBrace2.jpg

Take care. Tom Worthington

Forgot to mention there is also a chain I utilize on the door as an extra obstacle whenever home. Had they somehow turned the door knob and deadbolt locks that would have to be addressed. By then I would have been set and ready and in the process of trying to dial 911. Fortunately today I didn't have to. If in fact it was someone hoping to get lucky picking a lock and I wasn't home the chain would obviously be useless so that does concern me but not much can be done about that I suppose. But you are right Tom, any extra obstacle you can utilize on the door whenever you are home is a good idea.

jgwills said:
Yeah, really. I'm still a little unsettled about this actually. While I like to hope it really was just a mistake and someone was at the wrong unit I still have some doubt. Someone could have been just going around trying to pick locks thinking no one would be home during the day. Most folks work you know normal hours during the day unlike me who works extreme morning hours. Also one huge disadvantage of being in an apartment, your landlord(s) have keys to the door and you can't control if they are careful or not with whom they allow to have access to them.

Don't blame you. I hate anything that even resembles an apartment (condo, etc.). I get claustrophobic if neighbors are too close. Lived that way for most of my life while working. I need a lot of elbow room, hence the final move to rural MS 13 years ago.

Woke up to a noise one afternoon after a late night in my first apartment after I moved outta my folks house. Thinking nobody was home, one of the maintenance guys had let himself in and was takin a dump in my toilet. I couldn't freakin believe it. The only thing worse than the intrusion itself was the damn smell. After that I bought a door jam like one of those pictured above and moved as soon as my lease was up. It's certainly an uneasy feeling knowing that anyone with access to master keys can enter your home.

Glad to see your incident had a happy ending...

Wow LES, did he see you?

Was he looking at the business end of a barrel? :mrgreen:

Yup I confronted him with a few choice words as he sat there on my toilet, I but was only 18 at the time and did not own any firearms yet. All I had was my Louisville slugger. Told him he had 10 seconds to get the hell out of my apartment before I started swingin for the fences. Kinda funny now that I look back on it 'cause he didn't bother to wipe his @$$ before he took off out the front door... :lol:

knowing what I know now I would have a strategically placed trail cam to "watch" what is going on in my apartment (if i ever live in one again)...btw, one handed typing right now...

...not sure I wanna know what you're doing with the other hand bro... :?

Using a fork...to feed myself...

Glad things worked out for the best jg! Just out of curiosity... did you have one chambered already or did you pump it as you were headed to the door?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Yup I confronted him with a few choice words as he sat there on my toilet, I but was only 18 at the time and did not own any firearms yet. All I had was my Louisville slugger. Told him he had 10 seconds to get the hell out of my apartment before I started swingin for the fences. Kinda funny now that I look back on it 'cause he didn't bother to wipe his @$$ before he took off out the front door... :lol:

:lol:

aksavanaman said:
Glad things worked out for the best jg! Just out of curiosity... did you have one chambered already or did you pump it as you were headed to the door?

Obviously as I've stated before I keep one at the ready. There will be no warning shot as uncle Joe suggests. There will be no click clack of the action either. The only warning they might have is the central nervous system alerting them something is wrong assuming it still works at that point ;) I also wasn't heading for the door. I was preparing to get crouched behind something and go on the defensive. Here in Texas the castle law applies but it needs to be pretty cut and dry forced entry. Had I opened the door it changes everything drastically.

I'm probably over reacting here and my sister would agree which is why I haven't mentioned this to her just yet. I always over analyze everything. I'm just paranoid enough to feel vulnerable if I don't have some form of a weapon handy nearby. You just never know what might happen.

I let one of the maintenance guys that lives in the building one over what happened when I saw him later this evening out on his balcony. As far as he knows no one else recently has reported anything unusual but he would make a mention of it on Mon to the front office as will I. If there really is someone lurking around during the day its good to have as many folks possible vigilant keeping an eye out.

Time for some shut eye. Nite all.
J

Mentioned this to apt mgmt when I dropped off the rent check yesterday. No one else reported anything suspicious to them over the weekend. So I'm going to just assume it was just someone mistakenly at the wrong door.

Had a similar scare a week ago when a guy and a girl came knocking at 1am asking if "so and so' was home.

They parked in the street, not the drive. Neither were standing at the door they were both off to the side and they guy was staring in the front window. I told them they had the wrong house and they left. Either it was legit or they saw I was armed and decided to move on.

I had a hell of a time getting back to sleep after that.

Probably someone looking for dope and they got the wrong house. I get that before when I was young. They always come in the wee hours looking for drugs.

I never opened my door, all the conversations goes through that door.

My first time was 18 years ago, my ex-wife was pregnant with our son, I just got out of the hospital after having my appendix removed. Two guys came to the house, one went to the front door and the other went to the side door. I answered the front door, the guy asked if I wanted my driveway paved I told him kindly no and closed the door.

15 seconds later the other guy knocked and asked the same thing, this time I opened the window and said no and please leave. They knocked again i got my shotgun and told them if you don't get the f@#k away from here you will find out if there is a heaven or hell. When my ex got home I told her what happened, she at the time was a student at the local college and was home often.

She took my truck to class that day and I had her car, so these guys were casing the neighborhood and thought she was home alone, being five foot tall and pregnant made her a easy target. After that I brought her a Khar 9 and I got myself a Mini-14 and a FN-FAL, after reassessing my security needs I got a rottweiler for the house, and installed a security system and better exterior doors and locks.

Back