• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FN 5.7 x 28

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
I'm intigued by the round. I havent looked at the cost of it yet.

LES, your PS 90 is 5.7 yes? I'm more interested in the FN's FsN (Five-seveN) handgun. Yeah, more guns I cant afford, but some of the rounds are interchangable from the handgun to the carbines to the rifles.

Heres an article I found on a blog, the info comes directly from FNH USA.

Are You On Point? Intel: FN 5.7×28mm Ammo Briefing

fn_57_ammo.JPG

I have shot the pistol. For the money I would never ever buy it. It was accurate, easy on follow up shots., but that was the only thing I like about it. I only shot the civilian ammo but other than penetration I see no advantage and did I say for the price they can stuff this pistol in the all natural holster they were born with…..I think it would be overpriced at 500 bucks. Then there is the ammo, cool round but again not worth the money to me. It’s a wanna be rifle round and the pistol cost more than your AR +500 rounds. Unless you reload them you will pay more to feed this than any gun you own. Other pistols are just as accurate, carry just as many or two less rounds and do more damage. The only thing the FN pistol has over other choices are penetration and follow up maybe some distance accuracy, but the wind moves it a lot.…..and they say the ammo available to the public is anemic, the blue tip in your picture is what I shot ….Some say its light weight, I say it feels like a toy gun, but a lot of people like it……its trendy. I also didn’t care for the safety location. Can’t speak to the P90…..but that weapon makes more since to me in its perceived role

in my window the 5.7 is sitting between the 357 mag and the 30 carbine....not in power
100_1220.jpg

Rossignol said:
LES, your PS 90 is 5.7 yes?

Yes Sir,

I love the little 5.7 rounds too. I see it called anemic more times than is probably necessary, but it's always coming from folks comparing the round to the 5.56. I'm every bit as accurate at 100yds with my Ps90 as I am with my ARs, but the 5.7x28mm cartridge was originally designed for NATO trials as a potential replacement for the 9x19 parabellum. Yes it was also incorporated into the P90, but was originally developed as a pistol round. Comparing the 5.7 to the 5.56 is apples to oranges in my opinion. I think a better real world comparison for the 5.7 would be the .17 HMR or .22 Hornet. It's a fast, accurate little round that is a ton of fun to shoot. As far as price goes, I can pick it up locally for around the same price as .45acp. The SS197SR (ballistic tip) and SS195LF (lead-free HP) run about $21.99-$24.99 respectively for a box of fifty rounds.

The FN Five-seven is a fun shooter, but I've had my hands on them on several occasions and agree with oli's assessment 100%. Aside from a few internal parts, the pistol is all plastic. It feels like an airsoft pistol that FN modified to shoot their 5.7 rounds. It gets the job done and I've heard nothing but good things about its performance, but as much as I love FN I would not drop $900-$1000 of hard earned cash for this pistol. That said, If I win the lottery I'd probably add one to the collection.

Fellas, your honest opinions are always appreciated, Thank You!!!

I think in no way am I lookin to buy one... well maybe one day, but there are other firearms much higher on the list, especially now after the off the cuff reviews! ;)

I'm really fascinated with this round right now, I only just as of yesterday heard about it...

Here is some size comparisons Brad L to R ….380 -9x18- 9x19- 40S&W- 400 Cor Bon- 45ACP-5.7x28
100_1245.jpg

100_1243.jpg

It looks so... diminuitive. :lol:

Those are really cool pics Oli!!!

Back