• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

four 25# bags of no. 6 shot

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
My buddy who has been making some slugs with me was talking to his next door neighbor and he scored four 25 pound bags of #6 lead shot for $15 a bag.

Considering that ballistics products is asking $50 a bag, I told him that I'd go in half's with him for two bags.

Besides melting it down for slugs and sinkers and what-not , #6 is my favorite "universal" hunting shot size for turkeys, squirrel, grouse, rabbit, etc.

I'm happy with his find.

Another friend of mine who owns a garage and I was talking yesterday and he said he had a 5 gallon bucket full of wheel weights that I could have half of them if I just come to get them.

Can't beat that.

score !.....I looked into shot some but only found that chilled shot and I guess that isn't good for melting into slugs

Amazing score! Shot that cheap hasn't been seen for almost 15 years! And half a bucket of WWs could be a lifetime supply of bullets for some people.

I'm really happy for you, man!

oli700 said:
score !.....I looked into shot some but only found that chilled shot and I guess that isn't good for melting into slugs

I thought chilled shot, being closer to pure soft lead than magnum shot (and its high antimony content) would make pretty decent slug alloy. What did your study show that I missed?

From everything I have been able to learn about chilled shot, is that it is no more than 2% antimony, while magnum shot is between 3%-6% antimony.

Meaning that the chilled lead is softer and has less of the bad stuff that inherently makes shot harder.

Granted the softer pellets will deform faster, and many claim that opens up the pattern some as a result, but I'm mostly going to be using the shot for...well, shot, by replacing a bunch of my 8 shot skeet loads with 6 shot because #6 is my favorite nearly "universal" shot size I hunt with. All of my experiences so far, the #6 patterns a lot better through my guns than #8, and after I can test a few of them, I'll know whether I would use them for rabbit or squirrel or turkey hunting or whatever.

The main reason why I'm bringing the thread back up, my buddy is supposed to swing by today with the 2 big bags of shot, and an extra 5lb of pure lead to boot, so maybe by this evening, I'll have more to discuss.

I read the old label and it originally costed $11.84 for each bag back in 5/11/1983 when it was made.
#6 shot 004.JPG

One bag has a warning made into it, while the other bag doesn't, which is probably older.

#6 shot 006.JPG

And here's the bags

#6 shot 001.JPG

OK,,12. bucks a bag,,,,,I'll take a few.;)

Sweet find John.

Yeah, most places have them listed for $50 a piece these days.

I figure they'll load between 700-800 shells.

That'll do me a little while ;)

No, I was just going to try a few the same way I've been replacing with the slug.

there is a something I am missing......what are you going to do with the shot you pour out of the target shell, pour it in the bag of lead shot ? lol

As I understand it he's converting the shot into a slug and then loading it back into the shell...

ok, I have been know to be confused but I still don't get it

I have made birdshot into slugs befor it was a thought here, when you cut open a shell that shell contains the shot you use to make the slug.....now if one were to obtain shot, no shells just shot what do you do with the shot that is held within the shell......follow ?

A 25-lb bag with zero waste/slag/errors will make 400 1-ounce slugs. "Chilled" shot with low antimony would make almost pure lead slugs which release from the slug mold much easier than hardened "Magnum" shot with it's alloyed hardeners like antimony and their different shrinkage rate when cooled.

The bulk pack 100-shell skeet stuff is almost perfect for making slugs from the melted down shot payload becaue the lead is "chilled" shot and not "magnum" shot so it's nearly pure lead. In many cases the shot that is poured out weighs 1-1/8 ounce and the mold drops 1-ounce slugs so you stay ahead of the game.

The great thing about making slugs from melted-down shot and re-loading them is that the primer and powder really doesn't care and the primer/powder components are just as high quality as a store bought slug load.

oli~

Maybe he plans to open the shell and pour out the #8 shot and put an equivalent amount of #6 back in and re-crimp???? Then he'll have some left-over poundage of #8 lead shot from which to make new slugs if he melts that #8 down into ingots and casts.....

copy & paste from John A.

John A. Saloli Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator
From everything I have been able to learn about chilled shot, is that it is no more than 2% antimony, while magnum shot is between 3%-6% antimony.

Meaning that the chilled lead is softer and has less of the bad stuff that inherently makes shot harder.

Granted the softer pellets will deform faster, and many claim that opens up the pattern some as a result, but I'm mostly going to be using the shot for...well, shot, by replacing a bunch of my 8 shot skeet loads with 6 shot because #6 is my favorite nearly "universal" shot size I hunt with. All of my experiences so far, the #6 patterns a lot better through my guns than #8, and after I can test a few of them, I'll know whether I would use them for rabbit or squirrel or turkey hunting or whatever.

The main reason why I'm bringing the thread back up, my buddy is supposed to swing by today with the 2 big bags of shot, and an extra 5lb of pure lead to boot, so maybe by this evening, I'll have more to discuss.

if only I could read, then I would probably be dangerous, thanks Mossy, John was probably going "ok put down the pipe oli"

I've got enough lead to either melt into slugs, or swap the #8 with #6, which I like a lot better anyway. I was never very partial to anything smaller than #6 anyway.

As for what I have been storing the #8 that I have not been using (or haven't melted yet), I've just been storing them in a big plastic jug in the meantime.

Oli, put the pipe down and walk away slowly. lol

#8 005.JPG

Back