• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

G2 Research R.I.P.

Was reading some commentary on one of the links, close range and no body armor, this would ruin someones day. But the aerodynamics aren't like that of hp (black talon or hydra-shok, if the latter is the proper ball I'm thinking of). My guess is that once the ball penetrates something, the majority of the force is going to drop off considerably. Yeah, there will still be a little umph behind the center slug but I think the vast majority of the damage in the wound channel there, would be due to the number of rpm's it's turning over. Pure copper is fairly soft, so it has to be some sort of copper alloy, and I'm thinking that there is a bit of a limit on the caliber this type of projectile, as the pressure exerted on the front cavity would cause the petals to break apart in mid flight.

While I certainly don't want to get hit by one, I think the jury is still out on how effective these things really are.

bws said:
Was reading some commentary on one of the links, close range and no body armor, this would ruin someones day. But the aerodynamics aren't like that of hp (black talon or hydra-shok, if the latter is the proper ball I'm thinking of). My guess is that once the ball penetrates something, the majority of the force is going to drop off considerably. Yeah, there will still be a little umph behind the center slug but I think the vast majority of the damage in the wound channel there, would be due to the number of rpm's it's turning over. Pure copper is fairly soft, so it has to be some sort of copper alloy, and I'm thinking that there is a bit of a limit on the caliber this type of projectile, as the pressure exerted on the front cavity would cause the petals to break apart in mid flight.

While I certainly don't want to get hit by one, I think the jury is still out on how effective these things really are.

They should get some GITMO "volunteers" to help with that...

Tom396 said:
Found this independent test of the RIP rounds:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... ore-293429

Sounds like it's a pretty good round. However, it sure doesn't meet my own requirements for a $2.50 each 9mm round. I found the feeding deal especially problematic. You pays your money, you makes your choice. Take care. Tom Worthington

That is a damn good report. I would like to see them do a test on a heavily clothed ballistic gel block to see it's performance.

WOW - that is way above my predictions if it made it to market. Bidder, who knows. Someone creating hype - not outside the realm of possibility at all. A curator from a firearms museum - mmmm - not just yet.

This is the stuff of comic books, I'm fine with hot loads of proven ammo - I'll match my $205 cache against their 20 rounds, no problem!!

Back