• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Game on... signed up for a 12 mile obstacle course run

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Been over 2 years since my neck injury and I'm feeling very well. My old friend/student invited me to join his team in the tough mudder race here on Long Island.

They are doing the full course of 12 miles. Started training for it the past 2 weeks. Lost 4 lbs and have been on a strict diet. Needed something for motivation to burn the 20lbs I gained on injured reserve and new daddy weight and this was it.

Course looks intense. Started running a mile and will up it to 1.5 miles this week. I printed out a novice 12 week half marathon course I'll follow religiously starting in May 2016 to get me ready for the long run in July 2016. By May I should be up to 3-5 miles per run. Longest run I've ever participated in (minus hiking 15-20 miles a day on the AT).

Hopefully I'll stay injury free as long as I keep my pace even during training. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Go for it!!

Start slow and keep upping the intensity til race time and you should be good

Edited for spelling. Darn phone keyboard!!!

Last edited:
Last week a colleague of mine gave me his entry ticket to a local half marathon in May, so I've just started back into running training as well.

It's harder than I remember!

Best of luck with your training.

Good luck! Tried getting ready for the Battle Frog last year but after a month or so my knees hurt just to walk. Went to the Dr who informed me that I had little to no cartilage in either knee. Continuing to run would send me to the OR and that I needed to stop. Kinda took the wind out of my sails. Getting old sucks.

Best of luck Water Monkey! I got out on the MTB Sunday for the first ride in a while due to work and life getting in the way, and came to the realization that I've been way too lazy as of late. :D

Thanks guys!

Last week of a no-carb diet then I start re-introducing carbs back to my diet (whole grains). Feels good to get back into the swing of things and get on a training program. Trick is juggling the new baby and getting home at a reasonable hour to take over for my wife who's been handling her all day long and needs a break.

Gonna do 1.5 miles tonight. Tomorrow some body weight exercises (push ups, sit ups, pull ups). I definitely lost an inch as I'm on another hole in the belt... but I think I need a new belt next month cause it's the last hole lol.

Last edited:
Trick is juggling the new baby...

What else do you juggle with the baby? Tennis balls? Apples? Bowling pins? Chainsaws? :p

Good to hear you are getting in better shape! Looks like fun! Remember to stretch before and after and don't be afraid of mixing in a little weight training.

This is awesome!
I've never done a tough mudder or any of the other races like that, really the only suggestion I can offer is to make sure you run trails as well as street, everything is slower on the trail and it adds in things that can cause an injury if you aren't us to it, it works and strengthen different muscles as well.
What sort of shoes are you training in? I switched over to zero drop shoes when I started trail running, I love my Altra Lone Peak 2.0 and 2.5's
Cross training will help as well, like riding a bike and certainly do weight training, that's where I have my biggest issue...
I wish you the best in your training and the race!
I've pulled the trigger on two 50 milers this spring and summer, it's been grueling...

Good for you for having the courage to make a comeback!

I regret that those events for me are now in the past. But they were sure good times and made me feel great.

This is awesome!
I've never done a tough mudder or any of the other races like that, really the only suggestion I can offer is to make sure you run trails as well as street, everything is slower on the trail and it adds in things that can cause an injury if you aren't us to it, it works and strengthen different muscles as well.
What sort of shoes are you training in? I switched over to zero drop shoes when I started trail running, I love my Altra Lone Peak 2.0 and 2.5's
Cross training will help as well, like riding a bike and certainly do weight training, that's where I have my biggest issue...
I wish you the best in your training and the race!
I've pulled the trigger on two 50 milers this spring and summer, it's been grueling...

I'm no stranger to trails as I've hiked over 500 miles of the AT. Most of my training will be road work with some supplemental trail running with the team in April.

For the race I'll be using my trail runners I use to hike Inov8 Rocklite 295. That will probably be the last time I use them as they are on their way out anyway.

I'm no stranger to trails as I've hiked over 500 miles of the AT. Most of my training will be road work with some supplemental trail running with the team in April.

For the race I'll be using my trail runners I use to hike Inov8 Rocklite 295. That will probably be the last time I use them as they are on their way out anyway.

Not to mention you will most likely need to burn anything you wore that day, from what I have heard.
Again, best of luck!

Dang! I think you're a nut! lol Just kiddin, my hats off to you and I'm glad to hear you're feeling well enough to take it on!

lol. I am. I spent 1 hour trying to put the baby to bed… while she beat the crap out of her stuffed animal in protest in her crib (mini UFC fighter style). Then finally hit the treadmill at 10pm to run a quick mile.

4-8 inches of snow today in Long Island and I'm at work. Gonna hit the gym after work since it will be light there from the school closings. Lost another 2 lbs this week so I'm gonna keep it going. Gonna run 1.5 miles today, pull ups, bench, rows, dips. Get some!!!

Total down 6lbs in 3 weeks which is normal weight cutting for me. I usually lose 2lbs per week when I'm cutting. Glad to see old age hasn't effected my metabolism too much ;)

Back