• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ghillie

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Been working on this for a while and finally have it so I'm content with it. While it wasn't hard and was really just time consuming, it would be a heckuva lot easier just to buy one. I feel like I have made my own lightsaber or something.

It started out as a kit and after hours and hours and even more hours of tying different color string into knots around the mesh and adding the hood and the arms, has finally taken shape. I think I'll be the best looking tree stump or bush in my woods.

I didn't want to buy a ghillie suit for several reasons. Mostly because the way I made mine was more like a poncho that I can just slide over me for when I am sitting, or I can also use it as a blanket if I ever use it prone, or could tie it up as a ground blind or around my tree stand bottom or ....

ghillie 006.JPG

ghillie 007.JPG

ghillie 002.JPG
ghillie 003.JPG

ghillie 001.JPG

ghillie 004.JPG

@Rossignol that's why I said it would be a whole lot easier just buying one already made.

But in all honesty, this was my winter project. Not something I just sat down all of a sudden and did. I'd tie for a while and stop for a while.

It wasn't as hard as it looks though. Especially if you can hang the netting up while you're working on it. The netting is squares an inch wide each. (think dip net for fish)

If you get 5 or 6 strands of string at a time (and of different colors) and cut them all about 8 inches long and tie them in the middle of the 8" length, you can basically skip every other square of the net because once you got done with it, the strands frizz out (from a lack of better term).

Maybe this link will help so you understand how it starts out as:
3 feet wide and 9 feet long netting was about $35
http://www.westcoastnetting.com/net...d/knotted-k18t-1.html#product-options-wrapper

You'll need about 3 (maybe 4) of these to do a whole suit. (like I said, I did a poncho/blanket type with a few mods--I added a head cover and two arms to the poncho/blanket)
http://www.amazon.com/Ghillie-Suits..._sim_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1V12PK7BSRHXCZ1074XF

had one on a crew I was on years ago, used to play games to find each other in small areas.......they work real good if you were still , but damn they are hot as hell and constantly snagging on brush , keep a bunch of material on hand if you hike with it
even warm days it doesn't take long to get stuffy
And its funny you guys mention bigfoot, that suit was called in as a sighting.
one of the guys would do the bigfoot walk across roads and such with it, looked pretty convincing. Enough so that a State Trooper called in a sighting LOL!.....heard it come across a scanner and skinned out of there , living where we live someone always thinking they saw bigfoot lol

We don't have a lot of bigfoot stuff.

Some, but not a lot.

And its funny you guys mention bigfoot, that suit was called in as a sighting.
one of the guys would do the bigfoot walk across roads and such with it, looked pretty convincing. Enough so that a State Trooper called in a sighting LOL!.....heard it come across a scanner and skinned out of there , living where we live someone always thinking they saw bigfoot lol

That's freaking hilarious...

That's freaking hilarious...

actually for a minute I thought there was going to be trouble over it because a few laws were being broken unaware , apparently your not allowed to lumber across the highway impersonating Bigfoot just to watch people freak out.....word spread but nothing materialized......I'm guessing he got some serious hazing at the station and realized he was seeing shit

same guy used to have a couple old yote call that sounded like a 1000 rabbits being murdered , used to take it out to the controlled burns and scare the BLM guys conducting the burn, those were the days

Super cool suit John!

Painstaking but well worth the pay off, you have much patience my friend!

Back