Giving Up the Gas

Discussion in 'Work Safe' started by CaddmannQ, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Djcala

Djcala 20g Supporter

You rang ?
    CaddmannQ and John A. like this.
  2. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

Well it's not the rain I worry about: its dunking them in the lake.
  3. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

dunking them in the lake will blow a bulb.

I always unhooked my lights from the truck connector before launching.

They can still blow that way, but they can still blow if you hit a bump driving down the road, rain spray seeps in there while driving, etc.
    CaddmannQ likes this.
  4. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

I unplugged the lights, but last time I went fishing it was very hot and the bulbs were just still too hot.

I sealed these tail lights up over 15 years ago with clear silicone sealer.

Until now I've only had to change one light bulb in all that time.
  5. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

I lucked out and I only had to change one light bulb and glue up a cracked lens. That was the easiest part of the whole week. Putting all these new rails and struts and tubes on the trailer was a lot of work.
    7699.jpeg
    I had to make 10 brackets to mount the rails and six were these shorties, while the other four were similar but much longer.
    7629.jpeg
    These were made from 2x2 Unistrut and if you look at my picture of the trailer you can see that the new cross rails which they mount to are also made from Unistrut.
    20170630_083303.jpg
    It's not as strong as 2 x 2 tubing but much easier to fabricate certain things from.

I also bought this Bimini top kit and you can just see the edge of it in the next photo.
    7630.jpeg
    My fishing buddy Bobby:
    7700.jpeg
    This is me hiding in the shade under the Bimini.
    7707.jpeg
    This one was shot a bit before the lake started getting chopped up by water skiers , sending us back to the dock.
    7702_resized.jpeg
    I took my buddy Bobby out to Shaver Lake and we took this boat from one end of the lake to the other and back with no real issues, other than the fact that my buddy Bobby is rather heavy and the boat sit's a little low with him in it. Then there was the occasional idiot on a jet ski who tried to swamp us.

But the weather was beautiful and the lake was beautiful as you can see from these photos and in spite of being 100% exhausted I had a great time.
    20170701_073924.jpg

And I mean it about the 100% exhausted. I finished with the boat and crawled into bed at 2:45 am and by 5:30 Saturday morning I was loading it up ready to go.

Needless to say, today I am taking it easy and trying to recover from the efforts of the previous week.

All in all, the boat ran very well but her sea-keeping is abominable under rough conditions, causing a pendulous action of the motors which requires me to constantly fan the tiller to maintain a heading.

Also Bobby weighs about 120 lb more than my wife and with him in the boat I was a little uncomfortable about the remaining free board under rough conditions. In fact I was turning her nose into any big waves to avoid taking water over the stern.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    John A. likes this.
  6. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

Well I've been spending a lot of time on the boat. I moved all the forward batteries back and all the rear batteries forward until all six batteries are now amidships.

I built a new seat in the boat there that contains a battery box for all six batteries & the wiring. There is also a plastic fuse box I added to the boat so I would have a main fuse at least on the 24 volt circuit.

I built a new control box and got it all set up and wired. It doesn't quite fit yet but a little more trimming and I'll be done.

20170812_020735.jpg
    John A. and Djcala like this.
  7. John A.

You've gone full out custom on that boat.

If it doesn't have a name, it needs one.

Just not Titanic or Minnow. I've seen how those two shows end.

[​IMG]
    CaddmannQ likes this.
  8. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

I don't know about full-on custom but it is the only one like it around.

This boat actually never had a name while it was gasoline-powered but I painted this on the stern at 2 in the morning before the first Shakedown Cruise with electric motors.

1502562762658964194894.jpg
    John A. likes this.
  9. John A.

See, a name completes it.
  10. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

A big electric motor would complete it even better.
  11. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

Oooooh, look! A big new electric motor!

I paid $900 for this baby and it makes one horsepower continuous on 36 volts.

20170821_211131.jpg

This should push the boat better than the two Navigator motots I'm running now, which in theory combine to produce only 2 lb thrust less than the new motor (112 lb vs two 55's) but in practice the Navigators are old and worn, and not quite making full power.

Since this motor steers, any other Motors I add to the boat do not have to steer. I'm going to disassemble my homemade tiller arrangement and rebuild the Navigator Motors. I will re-mount them to the boat solidly, in a manner that does not allow them to steer.
  12. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

20170821_211131.jpg

I got this motor on sale but it was a 56" (!) bow mount, and I converted it to a 33" transom mount by cutting 23" off of the main shaft and reversing the tiller head.

Here it was out of the box:
    20170821_190312.jpg
    My wife freaked out when she saw me tearing apart a $1000 motor . . .
    20170821_200350.jpg

I started my cut with a pipe cutter and finished it with a small hand saw. The shaft is a fiberglass composite and it's almost half an inch thick. You can see how thick it is in that photo above. 20170821_190349.jpg
    This is going to make a difference. I can tell just by looking...

I also have built a battery box to centralize all my batteries, and it also serves as a seat, and ties the boat together structurally. I improved the wood sliding doors on my storage locker, and reinforced and sealed the framing a bit. I also added some chrome locks & chrome knobs and a locking latch for the battery compartment.

I'll get some pictures of that stuff tomorrow in the daylight . This is as much as I'm willing to do tonight. It's time for a nightcap & a shower.
  13. John A.

Yeah, the 36v will push you better.

I'm unsure what the battery life is going to be though.
  14. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

This motor has the latest generation of controller mechanism, and while ithe motor is slightly more efficient at full power, it doesn't waste power at low speeds like the old ones did.

I've got six big batteries, and I ran three motors on them in various combinations and at various speeds, fishing all day, with plenty of reserve power.

But no telling how long they will last in a straight flat out speed run. I've had it back and forth across the biggest lake I ever intend to fish with this boat, with no battery issues.

The big thing is that higher voltage improves efficiency, so this will actually work better than 12 or 24 volt Motors.
  15. John A.

Yes, it should be more efficient. But at varying degrees for the amount of use, and speed of use.

I'm just interested in how it holds up to a days fishing. Hopefully with no problems. I just don't like trying to paddle a big boat if I don't have to ;)
  16. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

Well this boat will never get up and plane, so what will happen is that at some point the boat will stop accelerating because it is pushing a bow wave it can't climb over. I will end up spending a lot of electricity on that last 0.5 miles per hour. This is typical for electric-powered displacement hulls. You use half of your electricity just getting from 6 to 6.5 knots.