• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

good alternatives to ammo can

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
As we know all too well there are many people who are buying ammunition. This has also created a shortage of ammo cans that many people like to store their cartridges in.

But I just wanted to give you a few good alternatives for long term storage if you do not have enough ammo cans.

Most everyone go through a lot of these items in a months' time.

And being waterproof and airtight, and resistant to corrosion and decay/breakdown, I think are adequate to use in a pinch.

3 liter pop bottles

2_liter_bottles1.jpg

Gallon milk or juice jugs
Obviously, I prefer the ones with screw on lids rather than snap on.

stock-photo-6425568-gallon-jug-of-milk.jpg

7427_2.jpg

And even large coolers would work in a pinch.

Igloo-Nevera-Portatil-Igloo-Maxcold-Roller-60.jpg

Good suggestions John.

Two/three liter bottles also work great for storing rice and other grains.

Non-see-thru bottels can help keep ammo hidden from wandering eyes. ;)

I like it, if you knock it over you ammo stays in place and you can just tip up the bottle and feed rounds out in a manageable rate…..nice repurposing

I like something that I can get one or more desiccant packs into - beyond ammo cans I use Harbor Freight sale toolboxes and also ones that I find (metal or plastic) at estate sales and thrift stores. I like stuff that locks and you don't know what is inside - that may get me a pass from a thief - maybe not - if it's got a lock it must be worth something...(?) - maybe I'll make a top layer of dummies loaded with rocks and a note "Hahahahahahahahaha - you stole rocks!".

My reloading table is covered with used Ziplock bags and used Tupperware as well. My polishing medium separator would make you smile.

If you are reasonably adept at woodworking you could build a traditional Civil War Limber Chest, such as this one.

LimberChestOpen.jpg

Dimensions and interior can be designed to suit your needs. Lots of designs on the net. Just Google Limber Chest. Be careful of weight. ;)

I dont really like the cooler idea.
The melting ice that is keeping my beer cold, would get my ammo wet! :shock:
:lol:

Another thing is the Mossberg jic tube. If you have one of these you can use it to store ammo, smaller firearms etc. Or you can construct your own with PVC pipe. But the od green tube with writting looks cool . I was going to sell mine bit decided to keep it purely for its cool factor

wherethisthreadgoing.jpg

4-Quart automotive oil plastic jugs (Castrol/Valvoline/Mobil-1 or whatever) can sustain without splitting over forty pounds of weight held off the ground and have a very comfortable carry handle AND have a nice 2" wide mouth with a really great screw top.

Plastic coffee cans with the really wide mouths and screw tops.

Peanut cans have metal bottoms and rigid metal rims and heavy cardboard/foil walls that can hold over 100 .45Auto/200 9mm rounds without caving or splitting and they stack on top of each other. And just like oil jugs they look innocuous if kept under counters or in cabinets. Same with Peanut Butter Jars with screw on lids.

brass_cannisters.jpg

If you wander around and pick up all the brass that you can find, an oil jug with the mouth widened out a bit makes a great carrying/picking up "bucket".

brass_jug.jpg

Go by the US POST OFFICE and get some free flat rate boxes, either the small or the medium ones. They come flat, so you can line the inner side with tape and then assemble the box. It'll hold 70-lbs easy and probably a hunnert effin' pounds! They don't look like anything worth stealing and blend into your garage/workshop/storage closet.

Sour Cream or Kool-Whip tubs. (Stackable)

Margerine Tubs. Stackable as well!

The list is endless!

300 oz laundry detergent ,,,,,

Attachments

• 0003320009303_A.jpg
    0003320009303_A.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 109
I have always wanted an old wooden chest like that for my guns! Would be an awesome alternative to a metal safe! Never would have guessed that 3L bottles would be good ammo storage, excellent idea!

$100.... is that it? :lol:

It has holes in the side of it :p
Nothing a good router some spare time couldn't whip up! ..... now where did I leave that spare time at? Oh yeah...

,,,,,keeps 'em dry......and easy to see....... :)

Attachments

• V3240_480sq._V161628318_.jpg
    V3240_480sq._V161628318_.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 65
I bought a plastic heavy duty tool box. Even has an o ring seal and a nice carry handle. It will hold about a 100 lbs.

Back