• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good Morning Mossberg Owners.

We live 1/2 mile from the local HS stadium so we can see fireworks from our patio. One year I took Judy up on the mountain, and you could see them going off all over the valley below, over 40 miles or more away.

Normally there is too much smog and clouds for that though.

Howdy fellas.

Cadd, Sometimes I used to go up to Elysian Feilds, overlooking Dodger Stadium, and watch from there.
Pretty cool to see em all over the town.

I have a great view from my front yard now. I pull up my truck and we sit in that. The fairgrounds are about a mile away. If it's not foggy its good. Last year was cheese because it was really foggy.
It's supposed to be decent tonight, weather permitted. Big storm happening right now till around 5 or so.

Enjoy the day.

Last edited:
In 2003 I was in Norfolk during 4th of July and I watched the best show I ever saw. From my high perch 4 stories up and overlooking the Battleship Wisconsin, BB64 anchored next to Nauticus Museum, the fireworks were even more spectacular than from the ground. Some were so sophisticated...arrows shooting through hearts, flags waving in the air and the highest sky filling blooms of all colors I could imagine or describe. That one night was the most memorable evening I had spent in the 6 years I spent during my homeless period.

Taking a break, covered in sawdust. I need a beer.
:cheers:

I have 3 more cuts and I am done with the saws.
I've cursed my cheapo saws many times, but careful setup means everything.
Marks on a saw are just places to start from.

Anyhow, it's coming out well so far. I hope it doesn't twist. The final assembly setup will be critical.

Good morning all. Mostly clear and 72 this morning, but very muggy. Muggy, an interesting word...

Cadd, what will you do with your time when you are finished ? I bet it'll be a good feeling. It seems like we have more to do when we retire than when we were working full time. I think it is an energy issue, at least for me. I just can't do as much as I used to, and the things I do take on take longer.

I hope you all have a great day.

Good Morning Mossberg Owners.

@meanstreak
The best parts is that when I'm finished with all this remodeling I will also be finished with pouring all my money into the house and I'll have some cash to do other things.

I owe $154 for membership fees to the Rifle Club and I haven't gone Shootin because I can't afford to pay them this week.

I have a new clutch for my motorcycle but I still haven't put it in. That is my next real task after I finish with the aquariums.

Eventually I'm going to build a shed for my welding equipment and put up a carport so I can work on my Hotrod.

I'm starting to get the traveling bug too, and I'd like to go take a road trip up into the Shasta Trinity area and over through Lassen.

But that will have to wait until at least next year. I don't think we'll make any long trips this year. I will get back to reloading and casting, and I still have two slug molds I haven't tried out yet, and an old Goose gun to restore over the winter if I get bored.

I won't.

You all strike while the iron is hot, wait for the lead to cool, and have a great day.

I was initially hoping to head up the coast to Oregon. Not the crazy part with cities. The rural part with trees and real people. But I have a friend in Omaha I haven't seen in decades. I want to take Judy through Monument Valley and up into Arches. Lots of places I haven't had the time to see.

I was initially hoping to head up the coast to Oregon. Not the crazy part with cities. The rural part with trees and real people. But I have a friend in Omaha I haven't seen in decades. I want to take Judy through Monument Valley and up into Arches. Lots of places I haven't had the time to see.

Don't know if you like zoos or not, Omaha has one of the finest in the USA , maybe the world. Many fine locally owned restaurants as well.

Several of us got out early this morning before it got too hot and stopped the leaky cabin with a tarp and some firring strips. It's a temporary fix for sure but should buy us enough time to save up for some tin/metal roofing.

It had rained about a half inch night before last and there was about a gallon of water in the 5 gal. bucket. :thumbsdown:

So, it's good to get it stopped for the time being before we started really having problems.

Good morning fellas. 76 and partly cloudy this morning. There are a few showers around the area but so far all have missed me. The yard could use a drink.

Heading to the lake either late this afternoon or tomorrow. The water is still way above normal but I imagine there will be lots fo folks there for the 4th. There are some really good fireworks displays around the lake, not sure how that will go this year.

Anyways, ya'll have a great day.

Good morning fellas. 76 and partly cloudy this morning. There are a few showers around the area but so far all have missed me. The yard could use a drink.

Heading to the lake either late this afternoon or tomorrow. The water is still way above normal but I imagine there will be lots fo folks there for the 4th. There are some really good fireworks displays around the lake, not sure how that will go this year.

Anyways, ya'll have a great day.

We got 3/4" and it`s still raining a bit, killed any hopes of yard work.....we normally stay off the roads during the holidays, so I may go for drive next week when everybody goes back to work. Y`all have a good one!

:mornin:

Morning fellas. Just got done with my yearly physical. Arthritis apparently has decided to stick around in my shoulder, neck, and both knees. It's good to have company but not this kind.
I also have the symptoms of frozen shoulder. Yay.
I need to start on some pt soon. Be nice if I can find a therapy place close to me.
Off to my brother's place to help out some more....
Stay dry....

Good morning Mossberg Owners.
I assembled my new aquarium stand completely yesterday, and it has 54 screws.
Located, pilot-drilled, countersunk, and drilled larger, then tapped in.
The 5/16"x5.5" screws were a real chore and there are 24 of them.
The 3/16"x4" screws were much easier, and 30 each.

Here is the prelim assembly with a dozen screws in loose. I shimmed it all up level and put the rest in tight. I was very pleased at how flat it came out.

This is all 1.75" baltic birch, except the back rail, which is 1.5" redwood. It will be hidden, and the front and ends will be clad in red oak. Here it is upside down.
no screws.jpg
Here I have removed all the screws, so I can finish the top, varnish it all, and then glue everything at final assembly.
screws.jpg

It all went together with just 1/16" twist in 6 feet, and I hope to get it even closer at final assembly, with the use of sandbags, lead and shims.

My hands are sore and arthritic from all the screw-gun work. Each hole was drilled and countersunk, but the big ones were drilled with 3 bits to get the holes deep enough, with a good taper for the screws.

Good morning Mossberg owners. Lots of woodworking yesterday but I got the majority of it all done and I am putting on the polyurethane.

I spent quite a bit of time straightening the wobbly Edge cut that I made with my old saw. You won't see this as because it goes up against the bricks but I will know it's there for the rest of my life and I am going to look at this every single day.
Screenshot_20190702-154946.jpg
I'm going to make it worth the effort.

@CaddmannQ ,
You should look for one of these. They make life much easier and come in different sizes....
View attachment 21118

Thanks Rip.

I have a set of those, but they are too short for 6 inch screws. Also I did not use flat heads.
Screenshot_20190703-082728.jpg
For this job I spotfaced the holes with a spade for these high-dollar Torx-washer-roundhead hybrid things. The big ones are about $30 for 25 while the small ones are $10 for 50. So far I haven't snapped one. They are Uber strong and equally expensive.

Anyhow there are three coats of polyurethane on the lid now generally and two coats for all the raw edges I just routed and sanded.

I'm going to sand the whole thing again with 220 at least one more time and I will probably sand/rub the edges three times, rubbing them with polyurethane each time.

So far I have not approached the oak trim boards except to buy the oak.

But that will all get trimmed and treated and sanded, and glued to the Birch then blind screwed from the back.

The oak trim is 3/4" Red Oak 1 x 6 S4S, and is actually part of the structural support for the lid.

Great! You know you can change out the drill bits and get longer ones.
If you're making more then it would be worth it. But if it's just the one unit, then don't worry.

It's looking good though. Nicely done sir.

Good morning all. We drove up to the lake yesterday afternoon.

Woke up this morning to clear skies and 68. I decided to take a ride over to the dam, about 15 miles. Some of the gates are open and the river was quite a site below.

Before I could get back to the condo a thunderstorm developed and I rode through a heavy but brief downpour.

Anyways , it was nice to take a short ride.

Have a great day. If you are traveling for the 4th safe travels to you.

Caddmann, I appreciate seeing people taking pride in their work and anything they do.

Here's a little trick that my Dad taught me.

It does take extra time to set up and not always feasible if you're working on a small piece, but a larger piece like you're doing, you can always clamp a 2x4 to it and use it as a guide to put the saw up against as you're sawing. That's about as straight of a cut as most people will be able to make. It might take an extra 3 minutes to get it straight, but will save a lot of time sanding and hand plane'ing later.

Meanstreak, sorry that you got soaked. But glad you got to go for a ride.

Back