• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

@fellmann
Dec 7, 1966 found us living in a little trailer park in Glendale Arizona, waiting for Dad to fly in from Vietnam via Tokyo. I was 11 years old.

We had come by bus from Cincinatti just days earlier, and Mom rented the cheapest thing available, knowing we'd be gone in a week. We got early Christmas presents from Saigon and Tokyo. Dad had some money from the war, and our 1956 Spartan 56 footer, so they bought a small lot in Phoenix.

Then Uncle Sam sent us to Duluth. They sold the property 10 years later, but we never lived there. Never lived in the Spartan again either.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.
More puttering about the garage today for me.

Meanstreak made a post at the motorcycle forum.
He and his PC have both been infected but survive.

It is shaping up to be chilly and cold, and I plan to go drive an open roadster with no heater, no carpet or upholstery, and holes in the floor and firewalls.

But not too far. To the DMV and back maybe.

I can drive it for 30 days at least.

The DMV ladies didn't feel competent to examine this car well enough to determine the year, so they gave me a one month permit and an appointment to see the highway patrol inspector. I talked to him on the phone and I don't think there will be an issue.

I go in Jan 5th. It could have been earlier, but I need to do more work on the car first.

Interesting note on Cadd's picture above...
Cadd is such a craftsman that he raised his ceiling two inches to fit the tree in.

Nicely done, Cadd. It's beautiful!

That's so much better than the way my neighbor does it. He's so lazy he just cuts a hole in the roof.

images

I see tornados pummeled Kentucky and Tennessee and nearly 80 people are
dead. I hope you Eastern folks are locked down tight and safe.

We are supposed to get some serious rains here. We need a lot of rain, but people in the flatlands are going to have localized flooding. Most of the danger here comes from idiot drivers though. They won't slow down in fog and rain. There will be mudslides elsewhere.

I spent yesterday working on the replica SS100 as per usual. I re-did the fuel hose, added a fuel filter, put on some poly rear body mounts, and started tearing into the front suspension. It needs some lowering work and inverted tierods. They will rub when I let the body down.

Thank you Ernst. This is a tragedy that people will not really understand for a while. It’s going to take a long time just to total the cost. We may never get to count all the dead. There will be many presumptions.

I am happy see that John A has logged in. Hombre hasn’t been around lately. I haven’t heard anything from my relatives in Kentucky. I probably won’t hear from them unless somebody is dead.

It started pouring rain last night at 2 AM, which is about the time I got to sleep. It rained all night and most of today, but not heavily where I live. I worked long and hard to get that car out on the road before the rain but I was unsuccessful.

Today, I bought a new fuel pump and some gaskets, and I got a new pulley for my generator because mine is old and worn and it has damage from being improperly installed and over tightened. I was going to weld mine up and re-grind it by hand but I decided for $20 I could have a new one.

I was contemplating desert and not quite finished with my chow, when my daughter called me from a ministorage with a dead battery. I drove out in the rain to clean her disgusting green battery terminals in the dark. A battery powered drill and a couple little wire wheels got everything shiny, and a quick jumpstart got her back on the road. I had her follow me home and checked the system voltages. Everything looked strong, so I shot some anti-corrosion spray on the terminals and sent her home.

Now I don't feel like working on my car & I have all these nice parts on the bench!

But there's no sense on rushing tonight. I won't drive that car on the street until the roads dry up again. Might be 2 days and it might be 2 weeks. I've got lots to do in the meantime.

Vaaaahoooo!

That’s the sound of me romping around town like a hooligan with no license plates yet.

Ssssssssssss……

That’s the sound of me siphoning all the gas I just bought out of my tank because the gaskets around the top leak a bit.

A89B7B8A-D3A0-401A-A5DA-7ECF0D07E70E.jpeg
So the fuel pump is fixed and never really was bad. The fuel pump push rod was short and it wasn’t getting a good stroke. It has a new rod, I set the length myself so I can get a proper stroke, And she runs like a bandit on the top end.

It idles OK too, whether hot or cold, But there’s a serious bog right off the line and I have to wind it up to stop it from stalling. This made for some fun burnouts coming off a stop.

This car will drift quite nicely under power, spinning very slowly compared to the old Volkswagen. Those things tend to roll or swap ends really fast because of the short wheel base and the engine in the rear & high CG = bad oversteer. It was better with the IRS and this is even better having the center of gravity very low.

But it’s a very rowdy car and there’s a lot of fumes. The sheet metal I put on the driver side floor in the front is making noise because I stupidly made a cut out for the fiberglass battery tub that I’m not using for a battery.

There are so many other things wrong that I could make a big boring list here but needless to say it’s still quite a jalopy at this point and I haven’t had as much fun in a car since I was 16 years old.

Back