• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

I heard from Meanie...he's ok, just taking a break.

Very very late good evening Mossberg Owners.

I didn’t accomplish much today except some grocery shopping and I made a nice soup and muffins.

I’m going to start taking the body off of my car tomorrow or the next day. So in preparation I sat down and drew a diagram, and labeled every part that must be loosened or removed, in order to get the body off of the SS 100.

I don’t want to hoist the thing up and hear something go snap!

First I will have to remove both the front parking lamps And make little slits in their brackets so the wiring can pass through. This is because I screwed up when I did the wiring on those. The whole body is supposed to come off the car complete with the lights and wiring loom, because none of that’s hooked to/thru the frame, except for a couple zip ties.

That’s the worst part, and everything else is just unplugging wires from the engine, zip ties, and removing 40 bolts and screws.

@Rodburner
After all the fuss I made over a Tig, when I had to re-weld my steering column I welded it with my ancient Victor gas torch.

(Now I am wondering how old it really is. I’m sure you can tell from the serial number.)

Anyhow, I felt more confident in my gas welding than my TIG welding at this point, and I realized that as soon as I picked up the steering shaft to weld it.

Now I did successfully TIG up the subframe for the runningboards, so I really shouldn’t have a problem. I think it’s a mental problem. I gravitate most easily to what I know the best.

This will all change soon. I am set up to do TIG welding, and I will do that before I start chopping up the old VW frame.

I will need to make a lifting jig, to get the body off the frame in one piece, with my hoist. I don’t wanna have to cut the wiring and split the body. As it is I will have to remove the windshield & runningboards.

I have limited overhead, and it will be 8’ long. Another challenge…

Very very late good evening Mossberg Owners.

I didn’t accomplish much today except some grocery shopping and I made a nice soup and muffins.

I’m going to start taking the body off of my car tomorrow or the next day. So in preparation I sat down and drew a diagram, and labeled every part that must be loosened or removed, in order to get the body off of the SS 100.

I don’t want to hoist the thing up and hear something go snap!

First I will have to remove both the front parking lamps And make little slits in their brackets so the wiring can pass through. This is because I screwed up when I did the wiring on those. The whole body is supposed to come off the car complete with the lights and wiring loom, because none of that’s hooked to/thru the frame, except for a couple zip ties.

That’s the worst part, and everything else is just unplugging wires from the engine, zip ties, and removing 40 bolts and screws.

@Rodburner
After all the fuss I made over a Tig, when I had to re-weld my steering column I welded it with my ancient Victor gas torch.

(Now I am wondering how old it really is. I’m sure you can tell from the serial number.)

Anyhow, I felt more confident in my gas welding than my TIG welding at this point, and I realized that as soon as I picked up the steering shaft to weld it.

Now I did successfully TIG up the subframe for the runningboards, so I really shouldn’t have a problem. I think it’s a mental problem. I gravitate most easily to what I know the best.

This will all change soon. I am set up to do TIG welding, and I will do that before I start chopping up the old VW frame.

I will need to make a lifting jig, to get the body off the frame in one piece, with my hoist. I don’t wanna have to cut the wiring and split the body. As it is I will have to remove the windshield & runningboards.

I have limited overhead, and it will be 8’ long. Another challenge…
Sounds like a lot of good times and head scratching in your future. Lol The company that paid me to learn to weld used Airco welding gear exclusively. I still have the same torch they handed me on the first day, 40+ years ago. My last employer had a boner for Victor, handing out base and junior torches and tips. I tried them a couple times but they just felt unwieldy in my hands and, to me, very heavy to hold overhead for extended periods, so they were passed off to the younger, stronger fitters. I’ve had my Airco’s rebuilt many times over the years.. In my head, I could hook up the bottles today and lay bead better than with the MIG…lol oh well03A1ABB7-1E7F-45A3-A666-A57FA4973FE8.jpeg

It’s possible that I used a Harris torch at one time in my life, but otherwise I’ve never lit anything but a Victor.

They are definitely heavy duty.

I took the gas tank out of the SS100 today, and I disconnected all of the wiring from the chassis. I got half of the front floor removed along with the battery, the ground strap, and the horn.
I have less than an hours worth of work before it is ready to hoist the body off of the chassis

It’s possible that I used a Harris torch at one time in my life, but otherwise I’ve never lit anything but a Victor.

They are definitely heavy duty.

I took the gas tank out of the SS100 today, and I disconnected all of the wiring from the chassis. I got half of the front floor removed along with the battery, the ground strap, and the horn.
I have less than an hours worth of work before it is ready to hoist the body off of the chassis
Looking forward to the Scout project too

Last edited:
Oh very good evening and welcome back @meanstreak

I weighed my car yesterday. I didn’t do any other work on it but I was trying to figure out what shock absorbers I should buy.

Of course all I have is a bathroom scale and it won’t weigh a car.

I went around to each wheel with a junk-steel fulcrum, and a marked pipe for a lever. 12 to 1 ratio.

I stood on the scale and weighed 184 pounds. Then I leaned on the lever until the car came off the ground and read the scale at 160 pounds.

184-160=24lbs

Weight at a front wheel therefore was 24×12 or 288 pounds

Rear wheels weighed at 355 lbs

I find the entire car weighs 1286 pounds unladen, with the gas tank dry. Gross will be about 1600 average. 1800 lbs max.

Weight distribution is 45/55 and estimated at 42/58 at max gross wt.

She will definitely be a Taildragger. I’m going to use a larger battery and I’m going to push it further forward in the car. Also the forward frame will weigh a bit more when I get done.

Anyhow I’m gonna go see if I can find some decent shock absorbers suitable for this setup.

Good morning? GOOD MORNING? GOOD MORNING?

AWOL for 5 months? You'd better have a pretty exciting story for us! If not... MAKE ONE UP!

Seriously. I was getting nervous a little bit. Relieved to have you back, Meanie.

Unfortunately no excitement, unless one finds reading books exciting. It was more of an electronic hiatus.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Good morning to all of yous. Not so lovely morn here, but it is winter. We are having actual winter weather for the next five days or so. Some cold, some snow, then more cold, lol.

Ya'll have a nice day.

It was more of an electronic hiatus.

I've dreamed about that for a few years. I've wanted to install a phone on my wall and have all my communication by wired phone and mail.
I know there is no realistic chance of that happening, but I'd love to go back and try if for a few months.
How did that work for you?

I've been online since 1978 when I installed a modem into the 3rd Apple II computer sold in Memphis TN. I used it for non-trivial purposes testing investment strategies for my stockbroker. I also wrote programs and designed VisiCalc spreadsheets for insurance offices and auto dealerships.
Back then being online was a comparative pain [sloooooow] and expensive for some services.

Now I long for silence and independence returned to my life.
So it goes.

@Scoop I remember doing CadApple on the Apple 2E at Night school classes at College of the sequoias. The Mac computer had just come out and they brought one of the first Macs to our classroom.

That’s exactly how I felt when I got out from behind the computer desk and retired. Burnt.

I had just had as much as I could want and more.
Personally, I’m not worried about spending too much time online.

I worry a little bit that I’m not spending as much time under the car as I could.

I got the entire body loose on the SS and all the wiring is undone.

I have to come up with a truss or spreader bar that I can use to hoist the body off the chassis with my engine hoist. I’m going to pick it up in at least five or six spots.

Wow! The snow belt . . . I do remember it well.

Stay warm Meanie!
:sofa:

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

No precipitation here for weeks now. I am pumping used aquarium water on my trees.

Car work later. Today is the day I hoist.

I have some interesting developments myself. Lately I've been returning to my roots and the reasons I got into guns in the first place. From the time I was a kid I've always loved reading about infantry tactics and being a grunt, one of the oldest books I have is 200-pages detailing in full every single detail of Army Ranger training. I was probably 7 the first time I read it all the way through, I still have that book. Of course these are the same things I wanted to join the military for in the first place, but I had to forsake doing any of it in order to pursue OCS and a flying slot. But now flying is off the table, and I no longer have OCS hanging over my head. My career no longer has some distant end goal years down the road, full of schools I don't want to go to to get there. I can join for the right reasons this time, and I'm free to have fun with it. I don't know when yet but I'm going to make a second shot at the Corps.

Beautiful morning, sunshine and 20. The ground is still relatively warm as we had 4 days of high 60 prior to the snow falling, consequently the snow is already melting.

S.R., an idea. Army warrant officer, or would that be off the table too ?

Ya'll have a great day.

Beautiful morning, sunshine and 20. The ground is still relatively warm as we had 4 days of high 60 prior to the snow falling, consequently the snow is already melting.

Ya'll have a great day.
Perhaps, I wanted to stick with the same branch as I'm familiar with the culture and operation of that branch. Trying to go into the Army to do the same thing just feels a bit off to me. Also part of this decision was based on certain obstacles that gave me a difficult time last time that I'm starting to believe I am capable of getting over- literally in some cases.

Way back when, I had an inkling to be an Army helo pilot (W.O.). A little older, I think 22yo I was, never in the service, ASVAB 100%, some college, no flight training but familiar with flying and aeronautics, I was not THE best candidate. Recruiter brought me and another guy to MEPS, I passed my physical, other guy did not. Commandant brings me in his office: "OK, here is what we will give you. You join as a scout/nav (or whatever they called it) and fly alongside the pilot, then MAYBE after a couple of years you can qualify for W.O. school." "I'll have to go home and discuss it with my dad." "Here's the phone, give him a call." "No, I promised him if it was anything other than Warrant Officer we would sit down and discuss it." "Get out of my office!" The commandant's face was every shade of red. :D Recruiter was cool about it even though he was batting 0/2 that day... :)

Back