• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Boy, they sure don’t make lumber like this anymore…cut this off the bottom of an old door I’ve been using in my kitchen the past 10 years, was probably 80 yo when I got it..the door got repurposed into a non opening transom window for my new room..
That grain looks fairly tight! :)

Good afternoon guys. It’s 4:15 PM on the West Coast and I am toast.

I spent a lot of time today scrubbing the garage door and straightening up trim wood so that it all fits nice. I had to align the track on one side and then it worked so much better that I aligned the other track.

It’s all ready to touch up the trim paint, but I’m gonna leave that to my mrs.

This is the truss which I built on the back of the garage door, to stiffen up the damaged top panel. This is so much more rigid than any beam of reasonable weight I could have added.

98A85B4E-1522-4724-95D5-F46213C52947.jpegThis is so much more rigid than any beam of reasonable weight I could have added.

D6BB4A15-6CEC-4E32-A250-20B2DD2648CB.jpeg

This is the top of the cracked door panel, on the exterior, wire brushed to bare aluminum, and drilled for the splice plates.

The little splice channel is made from a piece of aluminum door threshold, and will have 20 aluminum rivets, splicing it into the cracked channel of the aluminum panel.
536B6052-6817-466A-8FF3-DCE9FA9D83F4.jpeg
Here’s my decorative cover plate which hides all that & also splices the flat portions of the door panel together, above and below the cracks. This is all set in silicone adhesive.
06CDB9A6-1D1A-48C3-8C9F-4351B4EEDE23.jpeg
Don’t ask me why I made it this shape. This is a piece of .094” thick 6063 T5 architectural aluminum. You can see that I had only washed the part of the door where the silicone had to stick.

Today I went after the rest of the filthy door and cleaned it all up nice.

Good morning. we are getting light rain on and off , it started yesterday afternoon and should continue today. We probably will get less than an inch, but it is welcome. Highs about 80 and low at night 60ish.

I have been introducing a friend to the realities of firearms. She is 66 and hates guns, a couple of horrible experiences in the past. Anyways 2 weeks ago she had an experience that at least has her thinking differently about self defense. We have started just talking about safety and holding a revolver and a semi auto. I am making progress, but it is a balancing act. We are progressing at her pace, trying to just get comfortable with the idea.

Thank you Bob. If you consider what it costs to ship that stuff around you’d realize that it was no bargain. The last six bikes I collected I picked up for free, so junk bikes are pretty easy to come by.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

It was another late night working on an old bicycle. Here’s the coaster brake all polished out.
F233FF31-EC1A-4CBD-A196-CE23BC3CC09F.jpeg
I had spent some time to Tuesday to polish all the spokes as well and I laced it onto a more modern aluminum alloy rim.
C490B061-B988-43D4-AB51-6806DB1908B2.jpeg
The office fish all got to watch the polishing, lacing and truing. I got in several hours listening to the Hoover Institute and Thomas Sowell.

E91F4B5B-4F61-48FF-B39E-6E3F8EEA4489.jpeg
Here it is back on the bicycle With a new modern kevlar tire. The arcane development of bicycle tire sizes is an interesting subject if you’re interested in tires or bicycles. It makes the most sense to identify them now by the metric bead diameter and metric bead width. In the past several methods were used involving, in some cases, very approximate measurements.

I also spent hours cleaning & refitting the parts of the crankshaft.
5BB420BE-2D05-4E2C-9A86-AB08B4A6F0A4.jpeg
When I was cleaning I discovered that the crank had originally been blued, So I gave it the old Perma blue. Four coats.
136C67E1-3E7F-4EAF-9C34-31FE4988A101.jpeg

I put it all back together easily, and lightly, because this will all come apart before I paint the bike. The only thing that I won’t remove is the crankshaft and bearings. I will just tape those things off. It’s too hard to put that part of this bicycle back together without destroying fresh paint around the edges.

90320595-3D55-4197-94F6-E9960397D194.jpeg
Those pins are just barely tapped in, because the arms have to come back off for paint, and the final refitting.

Anyhow I gave her a good spin and it feels terrific.
813D8296-0413-44FC-9786-5BBE924D3DA7.jpeg
The coaster brake also seems to work well. I need some new pedals and a chain for it and I still need to do the headbearings. I will put the chrome Raleigh hub on an alloy hoop for the front.

Well the weather here is just gorgeous as per usual and I will get out and ride my bicycle for about 5 miles before I continue on with the wrenching. You all have a good day.

Last edited:
Good evening to yous. Fall is my favorite season, and today I know why. About 50 at 7 am, a high of 72 this afternoon and not a cloud in the sky. Just a beautiful day.

Cadd, you have found a new pastime, hobby, job, lol. Bicycles are always in vogue, especially in Cali.

You all have a great day, what's left of it.

Well you are right. I wanted this bike to have chrome hubs and I’ve been re-lacing the front wheel now.
C7AEA76D-0BA1-49B6-ADDD-6DCD5DF3351C.jpeg
It also got some skinny racing tires and some new chrome handlebars.
751F6C49-0943-4871-8A35-431F12D9874E.jpeg

Anyhow I have been printing riding more and posting less these days, which is probably a good idea.

All you guys have a nice day.

Last edited:
Good morning Mossberg Owners.

I’m starting to believe that this smart phone dictation is just smart enough to start World War III.

The darn thing changes my words unexpectedly.

Good Morning but 60 years ago today wasn't such a good day. October 16th, 1962 was the beginning a 13 day crisis between the U.S. and the Soviet Union commonally referred to in history as the Cuban Missile Crisis. Most people today remember little about the failed Bay of Pigs invasion which led to the Cuban Missile crisis and/or the engagement of a Soviet Sub by the U.S. Navy which unknown to the U.S. had nuclear missiles onboard and came very close to firing them. Thankfully a Soviet Naval Officer didn't concur. Ultimately, the crisis was settled by the Soviets removing the missiles from Cuba and U.S. removing missiles from Turkey and agreeing not to invade Cuba.

There are many accounts online for those who might be interested in reading a little history.

Don't know how many of you were alive back then but there were a couple of days when folks wondered if it was their last day on earth!

Regards

We were hiding in the bomb shelter at Larson Air Force Base which was the basement of the bowling alley. They kept all the families there for three days while my dad was off in the Blockhouse sitting behind a radar screen. I was seven years old.

Good morning Mossberg Owners yet again. 21 shots woke up the sleepy residents of Clovis who slept in today.

Today was the memorial for my brother-in-law who passed away last month. He was from a large family, and there was quite a turnout; over 60 folks, where my family only occupied about 8 chairs.

My sister was his second wife, he was her second husband, and they were married for 20 years. They met at the American Legion hall in Clovis.

He was an underwater welder in the US Navy, and later he joined the Air Force as an air frame mechanic, and also was in the Air National Guard.

Good morning . We are in the midst of some most excellent weather. Highs in the 70s, lows in the high 40s low 50s. We even got a little rain early Sunday morning , before sunrise.

I was a 15 year old kid during the Cuban missles crisis. It was a very tense time for sure. I have thought of it a few times recently. Personally I worry more now than I did then. I am certain age has something to do with it, but also the current crop of leaders as well.

I hope you all have a great day.

Good morning . Well, a cold front has passed through and we are at 36 degrees and forecast to only reach 53 for a high. Tonight we are forecast to be in the mid 20s. The good thing is we will be warming back up tomorrow.

Have a great day.

It was snowing here yesterday during my drive home from work

We have had a few flurries here this morning too for about an hour.

Im just not ready for the cold yet. Too much I still need to finish up outside.

Back