• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Had a really great morning at the outdoor range

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
After everyone else in my family had left for work and school, and I had the day off, I realized that this would be a good chance to visit the State-owned rifle and pistol range. So on the spur of the moment, I packed up and went.

I took along some hastily compiled guns that I borrowed from family and neighborhood friends, since I very recently lost every single one of my own guns in a deep-water lake during a horribly tragic canoe accident....

range_day.jpg

Among the guns I got a chance to exercise: A Mossberg 500, a Handi-Rifle chambered in .357 Magnum, a G34, a SS CZ75B, a Ruger LCR, a Taurus 9mm Slim, and a couple of ARs (16" RRA w/ EoTech and 20" Bushmaster w/ Heavy Stainless Barrel) plus I just had to include a couple knives I usually leave home with (a Kershaw assisted opening Compound and a Very Nice Puma folder handmade in Germany and given to me by a very good friend).

All of the guns shot really well. The best part was that this range has 100, 75, 50 and 25-yard areas with nice benches and overhead cover except for the 100-yd rifle range, and except for a few old men at the 75-yd line there was absolutely NOBODY else there. So for three hours I had things totally to myself and I never had to call a cease fire even once to go downrange!

And you know which gun I had the most fun shooting? The Handi-Rifle with my sub-sonic handloads of 140-gr LSWCs that I cast myself. The rifle is just so enjoyable to shoot from a rest and put everything into 2" @ 50-yards and hear the BANG followed by a THUMP as the bullet hits the berm. I probably shot it 200 times and that ammo cost me around ten bucks. :)

So now all the guns are cleaned and oiled and are ready to be returned to their owners. I'm really going to have to buy myself a couple guns, because not owning a single one (the accident was very very distressing for me) makes cleaning other people's guns really SUCK......

Wow - that's quite a day and you have some super friends and family to boot!! I can't imagine the feeling from the accident that you describe - it makes me think about insurance as my own holdings continue to increase.

The bit on the Handi-Rifle make me feel like I was there - a bit of man / machine poetry.

I went out with the Glock 34 for the first time yesterday - range report up on that in the continuing thread. unlike you I took three guns and ended up only shooting one.

Do you play Powerball?? I feel like we should start a raffle or something to get you gunned up a bit!

All the best M8!

Sounds like a truly GREAT day nitesite!

I've been pretty preoccupied the past several weeks and haven't been to the range in a long while. Reading your post makes me realize how long it's been. Glad you had a good time brother...

Back