• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: Why should I get a 9mm?

40 cal not even in the same ball park as the 357 let alone one with a 2 inch barrel

oli700 said:
40 cal not even in the same ball park as the 357 let alone one with a 2 inch barrel

Good to know. By the end of 5 shots with the 357 I was thinking "Please don't let there be another round in the chamber."

Is there much of a difference in recoil between the 9mm and .40?

.40 is certainly snappier, Meaning it has a quick pop of the wrist and yes it is less manageable than a 9mm, But any semi auto will have less recoil than a revolver.
Many think the .40S&W has more felt recoil than the .45ACP, I have shot very little .45, But I can see it being possible, The only thing I would consider a factor would be the .45 was metal and the .40 was plastic, The heavier hand gun will help with felt recoil, At least in my experience, YMMV.
Good luck

.357 from a light gun with a short barrel can be a handful. Its second hand info but friends hunt hogs here in MO and there are stories (legends) of 9mm not penetrating the thick skulled pigs. I know people that carry 40 as backup siearms. I'm sure that any number of calibers would get the 'close quarters' job done be it 45 or 357 in a longer barrel, more substantial frame.

I know we were leaning toward discussing rifles and that is job #1 for you but most woods walkers (myself included) feel that a sidearm is good to have as backup.

My carry ccw is 9mm and I'm a big fan but in the woods I take a little more firepower and don't have to concern myself about carry issues.

My two bits (again).

I'm searching for one...finally.

Ok..I'm going for my handgun license in a month or so. A buddy I work with is wanting to do the same, so we are going to go at the same time.
What I need to know is what I'm supposed to be looking for in one.
It will be used for HD, and most likely lots of target shooting. So..seeing how targets is one of the main uses, should I start off with a 22? or maybe something else? 22 ammo is usually cheap, but how is it in comparison to other ammo...I'll definitely be getting bulk. How is 380 recoil compared to 22? I like the looks of the Colt Mustang 380 but also like the looks of a full size 1911. The make, I'm still up in the air on that. I also like the looks of oli's CZ...
Is a 380 good for HD? or am I better off with a 9mm?
I'll most likely want to set a cap of around $500 and at the most $700 with all the fixins....so..what's my options? and what do you recommend?

See? lots of questions....

I have shot some over 15 years ago (and only for a few hours on 2 weekends) so it's a bit vague as to how they felt. I do remember shooting a 9mm and that was acceptable in regards to recoil. The 45. was just too much to for me.
I'd like something I can handle (without being a wuss about it)....

thanx..and as always...don't hold back.

Re: I'm searching for one...finally.

9mm is the lowest I would go. I've said it once, and I'll probably say it a thousand more times, you can't be a Glock 19. Perfect compromise between full size sight radius and comfortable conceal carry. I don't mind shooting 45, but it's not what I would choose to carry in a conceal carry situation. And if I did it'd have to be an all metal frame. Now a full size pistol, no problem. I just wouldn't carry it as my conceal carry weapon. Again, that's just me.

They do make 9mm 1911's and if you're worried about the size for every day carry then you could always pick up one of the smaller 1911 frame sizes. I know I've been looking at one to add to my list. Honestly, your best bet is going to be go into a good gun shop with knowledgeable people and hold the guns you're interested in. Not everyone likes the Glock frame.

I wasn't planning on it being an edc...the places i work at is a big no no.

Ripjack it's all what you feel comfortable with. For me I carry either a full size Springfield 1911A1 or my 5" Springfield .45 XD I'm 6'3" and about 180. My Fiance can shoot my .45's just as well as I do but she prefers the Walther P380 to carry the ammo is a little less expensive than my defensive .45 ammo last time I bought Hornaday TAP it was about $25 - 28 for 20 rds.
My Fiance spent almost 6 months going to gun stores and gun shows handling a bunch of different .380s and research, before settled on the Walther the grip fit her hand and recoil wasn't unmanageable a lot less then my .45.
Another option is .40 s&w a good compromise between .45 and 9mm. Less recoil than .45 .
Probably little help but those are the guns I have the most experience with.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I thought you already had a Beretta 92...

My brother wanted it back. it was on "long term loan".... :oops:

Oh, in that case ... DESERT EAGLE FTW! :lol: And no wimpy .357SIG, get the .50AE.

Seriously though, I've been eye humping a Beretta 92A1 for a while. All metal, good ergonomics if you have normal sized hands or bigger. Oli's CZ looks nice and from the sound of it shoots good to boot. Man, there are so many choices. Since you want to use it for HD as well though, I'd still stick with 9mm or bigger. And preferably something you can swap out the sights on should you choose to go with fiber optic or night sights.

I'm 5' 8" and have no issues concealing any of my full-size 1911s, Glocks, Berettas, or my SIG P220. My carry caliber of choice is .45, but I do carry 9mm as well on occasion. I'll even carry a .380 during the summer months.

With the exception of .22lr, it's hard to beat 9mm when it comes to the cost of ammo. It's relatively inexpensive compared to .40, .45, and even .380 so if you're planning on shooting a lot it's definitely something to consider.

There's a TON of options out there brother. The best thing I can tell you is to get out to a few gun shops and fondle every pistol you can get your hands on. There always seems to be that one standout that feels better to you than all the others. You know how I feel about the brands I like, but my sig line quote says it all...

Sn3aKyGuY said:
Oh, in that case ... DESERT EAGLE FTW! :lol: And no wimpy .357SIG, get the .50AE.

Oh, so that's how it's gonna be heh? ...and for your information it's .357 MAG!!! :lol:

Remember, your firearm is like your nose. No one else should pick it for you...
right. but it's nice to have some input from people "in the know" so i can decide.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Sn3aKyGuY said:

Oh, so that's how it's gonna be heh? ...and for your information it's .357 MAG!!! :lol:
I was hoping you'd catch that. ;)

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Sn3aKyGuY said:

they have a .357SIG there too...

A Sig 226 or 229 in.357Sig will be my next investment ... after the G26 for the wife and AR for me ... and whatever else makes to the front of the line. So many guns, so little time and/or money.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
I was hoping you'd catch that. ;)

Loud and clear brother...loud and clear...

Oh, and my next handgun will be a 9mm 1911...

Back