• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: S&W Sigma or Springfield XD?

Uteman25 said:
@oli700, From the research I've done so far these 2 guns seem to be closest to my price range, which is why it's come down to these. Do you have any suggestions for other guns though? Thanks again!

Tell me about your avatar first, I've seen it before and wondered about it.....something to do with black powder shooting ?

So do you have a cap ? $400? Got to consider some practice ammo in there too, and then atleast a mag full of some nice +p hollow points to keep oin it for SD....the ones you hope to never shoot.

Sounds like you have it narrowed down and have done your research, that’s good. BTW you used to be able to send the Sigma back to S&W to lighten the trigger. The gun actually went to a certified S&W armorer that was ok’ed by S&W to do the work. Word is you can’t get this service anymore, but that might have changed since I looked into it

I just had the exact same dilemma a few weeks ago. I fired the Sigma and I thought it was managable and I though it was OK. The trigger felt about as stiff as my DA revolver (S&W 642). I decided on the XD because, while I knew the Sigma would work for my uses (CCW and backup hog hunting), I did not get the warm and fuzzies like I did with the XD. The XD to me was just infinitely more fun to shoot, can more easily be shot for long distances, and feels more comfortable in my hand. I am very pleased with my purchase.

I don’t really even shoot my Sigma that much at all because I have much more enjoyable guns to shoot. It sits right next to my chair under the table with a +p HP in the chamber. Over time I want to buy more just to hide around the house. I don’t leave any gun in my truck over night anymore. That used to be the P89 24/7 till it got stolen, so I just pack the in CZ every night

oli700 said:
Uteman25 said:
@oli700, From the research I've done so far these 2 guns seem to be closest to my price range, which is why it's come down to these. Do you have any suggestions for other guns though? Thanks again!

Tell me about your avatar first, I've seen it before and wondered about it.....something to do with black powder shooting ?

So do you have a cap ? $400? Got to consider some practice ammo in there too, and then atleast a mag full of some nice +p hollow points to keep oin it for SD....the ones you hope to never shoot.

Good question: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=670&start=100

Yes I would like to keep it below $400 if possible, but that XD is becoming more and more intriguing :) Now again I have very little experience with handguns so I'm trying to decide if the stiff trigger pull would bother me much.

MikeD said:
My best recomendation would be to fire as many different models as you can. Many ranges offer rentals. The more you shoot the more you will find what you like and dislike.

I will definitely try to get to a store with a range this weekend to get my hands on both guns.

Awesome ! Eagle Scouts rock

So there usually isn’t anything wrong with buying a used handgun, they are usually just broke in and a good price. But every now and then that’s how people get rid of lemons or guns they screwed up. Just be weary and ask if they seller has personally fired the weapon. I don’t care how nice the deal is, make sure either the dealer has shot it or you shoot it yourself. There are so many things that can be wrong that you either wouldn’t know what to look for or couldn’t see with the naked eye so make sure it works. There will be many good weapons available at 400 or less, depends on your local deals, Have you been looking on Gunbroker ?
I was going to make much the same suggestions as mikeD…..

I will also add if you want to buy a used one, ask a more knowledgeable friend to go along.

Firstly if you don't know the seller personally, you have no idea who you might be dealing with, having backup is a good plan. Secondly someone that is more familiar with guns can more readily pick out any problems that they seller might not mention. There is always a risk with used equipment but all you can try to reduce that as much as you can.

if a friend is not available do as much research on the particular model as you can so you know what to look for as potential problems, what the stock configuation, sights, colors, etc. and what types of questions to ask the seller.

Thirdly, meet the seller in a public place (i.e. not the alley behind the bowling ally at 10 after midnight :-D )

The best possible scenario, if you are buying FTF would be to meet at a range where you can actually fire the gun.

Now I know this is off in left field but, I am also considering picking up 2 guns for the price of one instead of just one 9mm.

First is Phoenix Arms HP22 Range Kit: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... nix%20arms

Second is a Hi-Point C9 (I know I know, nobody seems to like them): http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... h=hi-point

So now we're talking about $380 plus tax, b/c, etc for 2 guns, one in which (.22lr) I planned on getting one day anyway and from what I heard is a good to have to work on marksmanship? Now I know the C9 takes a pretty big beating on the net these days, however I've seen a number videos and reviews where the gun can be very accurate and can have little to no issues (jams, failure to feed, blowing up ;) etc). So with that said and now that we're off on a different subject lol, what's everyone's take?

I have only shot the C9 and the Hi point carbine. So many mixed reviews and I like all guns usually. That being said my experiences were negative. The carbine was fun but I couldn’t hit with it plus the mags were a huge pain to get in the mag catch. Could have just been the particular one I was shooting. The pistol was ok. I just felt horrible to me, didn’t like anything about it other than it shot bullets. If it was all I had or could afford then so be it, I would not shoot it for fun. This why you should try to get your hands on one, you might like it.The fit and finish was as bad as it gets IMO

Stay away from hipoint that is the only advice i can give you. I owned one in .40 cal and never once would i make it through a full magazine of rounds. junk... you get what you pay for.

Re: Handgun Recommendations, Need Advice...

Any particular reason why my thread was merged into this one? This thread was started back in 2011 for .45 handgun advice? :?

We've designated this "sticky" thread as the go-to for handgun advice.

It is actually a collection of several threads that were started independently and much of the advice is the same, regardless of caliber. If a member runs a search for handgun advice, it makes more sense to have it all in one place than in several different threads.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
We've designated this "sticky" thread as the go-to for handgun advice.

It is actually a collection of several threads that were started independently and much of the advice is the same, regardless of caliber. If a member runs a search for handgun advice, it makes more sense to have it all in one place than in several different threads.

Gotcha, thanks for filling me in! Thought I did something wrong! :D

Yes Sir, and not at all.

Are you leaning in any particular direction yet?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Yes Sir, and not at all.

Are you leaning in any particular direction yet?

Well the more I look at the XD's the more I like them. Hopefully going to check some out this weekend. Found a shop that rents them out for $10 plus buy their ammo, so that should give me a better idea on which one. If S&W is still doing their $50 rebate thing that may lead me to get that one since it would only be like $250 vs at least $460 for the XD. Those darn Hi-Points are still in the back of my mind though too lol, so cheap. I again appreciate all the feedback so far and keep it coming!

http://www.dougsgunstore.com/product

For what it's worth, my vote would be for the XD as well.

I'm another one of those guys that couldn't overlook the slop in the Sigma trigger. Wouldn't be bad at all for an SD/HD weapon, but I do a LOT of target shooting at the range so a clean, crisp trigger is a must for me. I've had an XD40 SC for a few years now and it's a great little shooter. Ultimately, the choice should come down to which one feels better to you. Keep us posted...

460 ? If you’re going 460 don’t forget the Beretta PX4 storm, Ruger P95, Ruger SR9,Sig Sauer 2022 sig pro. All good to go. If I were to buy a striker fired gun it would be the SR9.....but I am a hammer guy. I was a nats ass away from the Sig Pro....The Beretta has great ergos and the rotary barrel design is unique and cool to me. Feedback is that the rotary system cuts recoil by design

I think that is a good deal shipped. If he is local throw down 350 and I bet you get it. For me personally I wouldn’t go over 350 on it. If it is worth more to you than by all means get it and be happy

oli700 said:
I think that is a good deal shipped. If he is local throw down 350 and I bet you get it. For me personally I wouldn’t go over 350 on it. If it is worth more to you than by all means get it and be happy

Yea I thought so. Also found this brand new one with the "Essentials Kit" from a local dealer. Not sure if it's really worth the extra $$$ though.

Back